General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

license plate serial number safety

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 10:23 PM
knucklebone
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default license plate serial number safety

I often see people black out their license plates when posting pictures online. Are there any concerns with posting serial numbers in pictures?

Old 03-31-2018, 10:41 PM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Which are you talking about license plate numbers or serial numbers the two are completely different animals.

As far as posting them, no problem unless you are talking about doing something illegal and don''t want the law to find you then black it out, but if you have custom stuff done to your bike, they more than likely will be able to eventually find you anyway. I always figure it this way, if a regular person sees you in real life on your bike they are more than likely to also see your license plate number too. I don't know about most other states but here in California, unlike the old days, it isn't as easy for your average everyday citizen to have the DMV give you any information about someone just because you gave them a license plate number.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:52 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Here in EU some will copy your license plate and put it on a similar - sometimes stolen - bike or car. If they get a ticket for speeding or whatever it will be send to your address ... a big hassle to sort it out. Police here doesn't have to stop you to give a ticket, they just mail it to you.

If it is a stolen car, when the police (they now use traffic cameras that are connected to their database and automatically check the number) run the number it will show up as insured and taxes paid until you inform them someone copied your license plate.

Doesn't happen much, but why make it easier for the bastards.

Last edited by Rakthi; 04-01-2018 at 01:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
00wyk (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 02:41 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,988 Likes on 2,365 Posts

I never understood the blacking out the tag on forums. You sure cant ride it down the road with the tag blacked out.....

Old 04-01-2018, 02:51 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

I don’t do it but I can understand why. People that own Harleys are a pretty good demographic, for identity theft crooks, to prey on. They probably have assets, or at least good credit. I can’t identify you by your plate, but a good hacker probably could.

HenryT (04-02-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 05:22 AM
00wyk
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rakthi
Here in EU some will copy your license plate and put it on a similar - sometimes stolen - bike or car. If they get a ticket for speeding or whatever it will be send to your address ... a big hassle to sort it out. Police here doesn't have to stop you to give a ticket, they just mail it to you.

If it is a stolen car, when the police (they now use traffic cameras that are connected to their database and automatically check the number) run the number it will show up as insured and taxes paid until you inform them someone copied your license plate.

Doesn't happen much, but why make it easier for the bastards.
Let's not forget all the toll roads that use cameras to ID and then send you a bill. Then there's the the tickets you could get for not showing a tax cert as well. And also the fact it is easy to buy license plates on line in the EU, with some countries require you buy your own like mine. Nah, in the EU, I wouldn't put your tag up for all to see on the interwebs. I only show my US tag in my pics and vids.

Last edited by 00wyk; 04-01-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:44 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,750 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Prince Kawasimofo of Nigeria wants your numbers so he can send you your lottery winnings
SECURE ALL your numbers IMHO

Attached Thumbnails license plate serial number safety-bad-juju.jpg  
Uncle Larry (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 08:33 AM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,317 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Yeah, IMO it's called paranoia. And if somebody needs to fake a plate, Why try to print from a low res internet file. Just walk up to any bike night and grab a snap with a high res cell phone camera.

People worry about &%$! too much.......

The following 2 users liked this post by Oko:
Capt Steve (04-02-2018), lh4x4 (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 08:57 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 327 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Oko
Yeah, IMO it's called paranoia. And if somebody needs to fake a plate, Why try to print from a low res internet file. Just walk up to any bike night and grab a snap with a high res cell phone camera.

People worry about &%$! too much.......
I think that pretty much sums it up.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Larry64
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Rakthi
In the mid 80's I got a parking ticket in Pontiac Michigan. The problem was on that day I was 500 miles away from Pontiac, standing nuclear alert on a SAC Base. When I got the bench warren in the mail for failure to appear, I took it to the JAG's office with a copy of that days duty roster. No hassle. It was taken care of. The cop reversed two characters on the plate. The JAG offered to go to trial, but the city wanted to drop the whole thing.

Quick Reply: license plate serial number safety