General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

license plate serial number safety

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 09:15 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,988 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I don’t do it but I can understand why. People that own Harleys are a pretty good demographic, for identity theft crooks, to prey on. They probably have assets, or at least good credit. I can’t identify you by your plate, but a good hacker probably could.
I fully agree with the good demographic for thief's. That said, I would then worry more about riding in and around your town. I would worry about parking at Bike Night, the HD Dealer and the store....Those theifs are local, not spread across the world...

Originally Posted by Oko
Yeah, IMO it's called paranoia. And if somebody needs to fake a plate, Why try to print from a low res internet file. Just walk up to any bike night and grab a snap with a high res cell phone camera.

People worry about &%$! too much.......
Bike night is a great place to get plate numbers, those people are most likely local so much easier for them to also rob your home.

Originally Posted by smitty901
When I ride my plate shows , when it is parked plate shows. Anyone that really wants to can get your plate number, drivers lic number name and address for DOT. What does it really madder.
EXACTLY. Local thief's I would worry about more than people on the internet 1000's of miles away.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:40 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
EXACTLY. Local thief's I would worry about more than people on the internet 1000's of miles away.
Thank you for completing your order Dave! You’re going to be really excited to get your free gift, it’ll look great on your bike!

To claim your free gift, please respond with your full name, current street address, phone number, social security number, largest bank account number, all the rest of the bank account numbers, and your mother’s maiden name.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:46 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,750 Likes on 1,114 Posts

LOL -- 2 small pieces of electrical tape and your plate number gets me FREE ez-pass.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:21 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

Since nobody has answered your question, I will try. In the old days, we were told not to tell someone else our SN because it could be used to make a fake title to defraud you of your bike. I doubt it is really an issue any more than the plate number. That said, I think I would still black out the part of my SN that identifies the individual bike number off the line.

The following users liked this post:
knucklebone (04-02-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 08:33 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Your personal information is sold, resold, and distributed on a daily basis. It's in the EUA you click "agree" on just about everything. Even the device you used to browse this website.

Your SSN, credit card, and DL# are a string of digits, they're compromised daily. It's safe to assume your identity has been stolen and will be stolen again through no action of your own. At least until we stop using base 10 numbers to establish identity and include a biometric or two. Identity should be based on something you have, something you know, and something you are.

Personally, I'd be way more concerned about what people post on social media. Social Engineering is way easier, and much more effective nowadays. Shoot, take the "show me your garage" thread for example. It's not much work to find a social media profile for the owner, figure out where they live, look at the garage to determine an attack vector, then break in and steal your crap.