General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noggin Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 09:23 AM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Noggin Protection?

I ride mostly in South and North Carolina. SC doesn't require a helmet but I usually wear one anyway. I had a crash almost a year ago and luckily I was wearing one. The one I was wearing was a half helmet which was not DOT approved but it did the job of protecting my noggin and was not even cracked. I know not to ever use the same helmet again.

I want a FF for longer rides but my question is what kind and brand of helmet do you guys use when riding local and what are some of the reasons for your decision. This will help me to make a more informed pick. Thanks and all suggestions will be considered even the ones jerking my chain.

Last edited by motohaid; 03-31-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:30 AM
JackStaff
Road Master
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

1/2!
looks, comfortable in warm weather - some have removable curtains for cold, hearing is unimpeded.

I never wore a 3/4 that I liked and that goes double for FF.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:32 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I love this one, I got it for long rides, now it is my everyday lid. Biltwell Grongo S

Old 03-31-2018, 09:47 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,757 Likes on 3,115 Posts

motohaid~ It sounds like you got "educated" a year ago about PPG. Ok, now you see the value of a full face helmet.
An FF helmet isn't so much the "best" for everyone (altho, some are better than others,) what you need is to be fitted to a particular brand of helmet.

Depending upon the shape of your head, you may prefer certain brands of helmets. Shoei for instance, caters to the more round shaped head. Arai caters to a more "oval" shaped head.
The best advice I can give you is go try on a few helmets at a Cyclegear or other store that has hundreds of helmets to choose.

Look for a yootoob video with Jay Leno talking about helmet fitment.

Quick helmet test~
Don your helmet, strap it on, grab the back collar and pull up. (Try not to strangler yourself!) Does the helmet come off your head? Give it a HARD pull up and over. If it comes off, it's the wrong size or shape helmet.
Many of the more expensive helmets also have removable cheek pads for proper fitment. Some of the moto racers even have an airbag within them. (It jettisons the helmet off the head post impact.)
Glad to see you see the light. Ride safe. (and watch out for the "other guy...")

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 09:52 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,288 Likes on 711 Posts

full face doesnt lift at highway speeds and you can mount a bluetooth in one. I like arai. They make a helmet for every head

The following users liked this post:
big papa AZ (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 10:08 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,926 Likes on 2,441 Posts

I use an Arai FF or a Shoei FF, both Snell approved. After getting clocked last year, I wont ever go back to an open face. I wont go back to anything but a FF..

Old 03-31-2018, 10:09 AM
HarleyD1929
Tourer
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts

I hate wearing helmets, or anything on my head, but when the wind comes 'sweepin' down the plains' I have to have something to protect my ears.
I hate ear plugs more than headgear.. I bought a Bell Rogue helmet for the longer rides, it has a detachable 'face' that I only use when the air is cold.. and it keeps the wind noise out of my ears.. if you've gone deaf after a 3 hour ride into a headwind, you know what I'm talking about..

Old 03-31-2018, 10:11 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,004 Likes on 12,902 Posts

about as subjective a topic as what color Jello is the best

I wear glasses and have a long oval head. This immediately rules out Shoei, Bell, HJC for me.

I did buy a LS2 Rebellion last summer. Half shell, drop down visor that doesn't interfere with the glasses and it fits. Doesn't work well in the rain though.

I am probably going to buy an Arai Signet-X in the next couple of weeks. Nolan and LS2 make a long oval modular but I haven't found one yet to try on and am done with ordering helmets over the internet to see if they fit.

I'm not all that interested in a full face but I know with the Arai that it is quality and it fits.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:17 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I prefer Bell. Saved my life in a track day crash.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:33 AM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
motohaid~ It sounds like you got "educated" a year ago about PPG. Ok, now you see the value of a full face helmet.
An FF helmet isn't so much the "best" for everyone (altho, some are better than others,) what you need is to be fitted to a particular brand of helmet.
)
Wife and I got fitted at a local motorcycle show a while back that had several Arai's and Shoei's to demo. Both of our heads are oval and we ended up with Arai's.

Quick Reply: Noggin Protection?