General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noggin Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:34 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by sleighcrane
That bullet hole does wonders for the air flow thinking about adding one on the other side
I hope you take it off FIRST.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:57 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,004 Likes on 12,902 Posts

you guys that wear Arai, what do you do about sun, I mean, like in the form of sunglasses, etc. since there are no dropdown internal visors like other manufacturers?

Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,756 Likes on 3,114 Posts

Originally Posted by motohaid
So you are saying Arai helmets would be more likely to have a helmet to fit my wife, daughter and myself?

Both Arai and Shoei offer many cheekpad sizes to accommodate different shaped heads. The biggest factor in comfort is choosing the correct size and cheek pad combination for you, your wife & daughter. Ride safe!

The following users liked this post:
motohaid (04-02-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 12:30 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,225 Likes on 3,431 Posts

Originally Posted by 6113_
you guys that wear Arai, what do you do about sun, I mean, like in the form of sunglasses, etc. since there are no dropdown internal visors like other manufacturers?
In my case it's prescription sunglasses.

Modern helmets seem to be more accommodating of glasses than the older ones were.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:45 AM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Shuv
I run a Biltwell Gringo S also. I love it for what it is. I have a feeling I'm going to want more venting when the summertime comes. I'll probably pick up a 3/4 helmet and another good pair of goggles for summer riding.

If youre wanting to stick to a budget and considering a FF helmet, check out Urban helmets. Along the same retro look/lines of a Gringo, but less $. I like their face shield setup, but probably not something I'd want to take cross country. Full disclaimer, I've never put one on my noggin, just looked at them a handful of times.

All things considered, my next FF will be a Bell Bullit.
I have been through a bunch of FF helmets over the years, and currently have a Gringo S on the shelf, however, for about the last eight months I have been wearing a Shoei RF1200 like Newman below. Badass is the only way I can describe it, even in 100* weather the thing has great ventilation, and super comfortable for my head shape. 500 miles through AZ and CA on one hot day last year, didn’t miss a 1/2 or 3/4 a bit. I also have a Bell 3/4 retro which I wear occasionally, and an HD 1/2 helmet I have worn all of twice. My chick also has an RF1200 and digs it too, her other helmet stays in the closet.

Originally Posted by hellonewman
A lot of variables to consider and one is what slip-ons are you running and will you wear earplugs? I have a Shoei RF-1200 which I love and wasn't cheap BUT with my RK and no windshield (and the desire to protect my head as much as possible) I have no choice but to have a FF helmet. Problem is the FF helmet amplifies the exhaust drone and is worse than if I had a half helmet and a windshield in front of me. I wouldn't need ear plugs with that combo but wouldn't feel safe and don't like the look of the RK windshield. Ear plugs are a must on my bike with my rineharts and a FF helmet.

Last edited by SoCalHDMC; 04-03-2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:10 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,288 Likes on 711 Posts

Arai has a drop down external visor. They wont do an internal because they believe it screws up the helmets structure. When you dont need it it sticks out like a hat brim.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:56 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by 6113_
You could get a tinted shield and swap it with the clear one. Takes 30 seconds.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:11 PM
Mr.Bluster
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got a Scorpion EXO AT950 for a modular, full-face helmet. Mainly because my other bike, the Moto Guzzi, has only a tiny windshield. Wind pushes my half-helmet up and off my head. It's a "dual sport" meaning it has a brim on the peak. Full face anti-fog face shield and internal sunglasses. Also has a brim to replace the baseball cap I wear under the half-helmet. We'll see how that works in the wind. Takes a SENA bluetooth. At $270 is considered mid-range. Haven't ridden with it yet, being mid-November in Wisconsin. But should offer more protection for the intellectual property

Last edited by Mr.Bluster; 11-19-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:13 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by im
Consider review of modulars.
They will allow lifting of chin bar so you can communicate with others, spit or when you want a little more air at a gas station to gas and go.
Also makes putting glasses on easier.
Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Make sure if you get a 3/4, modular or full face that it is comfortable...
I agree with this comment and would add that it holds true for any style helmet.

Originally Posted by mjrfd99
33 yrs picking up the pieces at accident scenes [FD] and personal [FUBAR] experiences.
Please wear a helmet.
You can be the safest human on the planet.......... the fukturd behind you aint.
My last wreck, the one that almost killed me, busted me up pretty good. Multiple surgeries, rehab - the whole nine was caused by an 82 y/o that didn't see me,... in broad daylight whilst I had my high beam on. I was a half mile from my house and just threw on an Aerostich Roadcrafter and a FF HJC to run an errand. The Roadcrafter suit and the FF HJC were trashed - both saved my much worse injuries. Did i mention I was a half mile from my house?

Originally Posted by Dynamick
In my case it's prescription sunglasses.

Modern helmets seem to be more accommodating of glasses than the older ones were.
Definitely true compared to years gone by.

Anymore, I running a modular or 3/4 as default helmets with a regular FF in cooler temps and a quality DOT half helmet if it's hot during something like Biketoberfest and I anticipate traffic and I am in a group - safety in numbers and all that. I am so past trying to look cool and caring one way or another what others may think. Big roads, big trips with big speeds I'm generally running the modular HJC IS Max 2.

Last edited by Jehu; 11-19-2018 at 07:17 PM.