General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noggin Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 01:24 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

I know some will say it is in my mind but I can not wear a full helmet, feels like it limits my vision.
So I have a 3/4 and 1/2 helmet, mostly use the half helmet

Old 03-31-2018, 01:30 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,148 Likes on 3,669 Posts

I have a Shoei RJ Platinum 3/4 and I carry a snap on visor if I get caught in downpours...I love it. It’s quiet, quieter than previous FF

Old 03-31-2018, 02:15 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
motohaid~ It sounds like you got "educated" a year ago about PPG. Ok, now you see the value of a full face helmet.
Depending upon the shape of your head, you may prefer certain brands of helmets. Shoei forok instance, caters to the more round shaped head. Arai caters to a more "oval" shaped head.
So you are saying Arai helmets would be more likely to have a helmet to fit my wife, daughter and myself?

Back in the day I wore Bell and Simpson FF when I raced go karts but a lot has changed since then. I have been riding with a Bell 3/4 and novelty 1/2 helmet for years but I guess it's time I grew up and started wearing a real helmet. Thanks for all the comments. There is a lot of good info here that I will take into consideration when choosing a new helmet. Sounds like maybe I should take in a bike show where all brands are available so I can weight the benefits of each and make certain i choose the best fitting one

Last edited by motohaid; 03-31-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:20 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

Consider review of modulars.
They will allow lifting of chin bar so you can communicate with others, spit or when you want a little more air at a gas station to gas and go.
Also makes putting glasses on easier.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:34 PM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,667 Likes on 2,819 Posts
Old 03-31-2018, 02:38 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

2nd on the modular. More protection when you want and more air when you want. I bought a HD branded HJC modular when I got my bike in April '17. Cost $250 plus tax. Used it until September when I got a Shoei Neotech, which cost $600+. I wouldn't turn around for the difference. Shark even makes a modular, called the Evo 3, I think, that folds back and looks like a 3/4. Consider what could have been if you had landed differently during your crash. I can imagine trying to shave in the morning and looking at myself in the mirror with no nose or chin would be pretty hard. I've used up most of my allowance of good looks for this lifetime, but I'm trying to save what little I've got left for the end run. If you don't worry about yourself, think about your wife and daughter. Remember: all the gear, all the time. (and yes, I do ride a Beemer sometime.)

Old 03-31-2018, 03:49 PM
pugdaddyjr
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought the Shoei RF SR. Got educated on fitting at Cycle Gear. Bought a HD Scorpion Pilot that was way to big but I thought it fit. Didn't realize super significance of proper fit for safety. Went down 2 weeks later but helmet didn't hit ground.

Dont save money on helmets. What's the most important piece of equipment/body part we will ever have?

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/helmets/rf-sr.html

Old 03-31-2018, 05:34 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,288 Likes on 711 Posts

Aarai does make helmets for a wide variety of head shapes so yes, they should be more likely to have one to fit you. My best advice is to take a picture of the top of your head aimed down and see what your head shape is. I was suprised to find out my ears arent symetrical, lol.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:57 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

I bought a Shoei RF-1100 to wear in the colder weather. Never tried one previously. I wear it all the time now. I use a detachable windshield as I don't like the look of my bike with a windshield but it was like being in a torture device with the 1/2 helmets I used back then. No matter what I did, or what helmet I tried, they all caused head wobble and acted like parachutes, trying to lift my head off of my shoulders. Now that I have the Shoei I only use the windshield on long weekend trips. It's pretty quiet and has minimal impact on my peripheral vision and the inner pads are washable/replaceable. It doesn't have blue tooth but I can put ear buds in and they're comfortable.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:55 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm a fan of Bell FF carbon fiber helmets.I live in a choice state and I need to wear one more. Funny how we encourage our wife's to wear one and we don't .

Quick Reply: Noggin Protection?