General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a trailer, again

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 06:41 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts
Thumbs up Just bought a trailer, again

Actually my second but the first was less than desirable, being an open with 10" wheels. Not at all good for long distance hauls The new one is a 5X10 V nose that is being equipped with a quality wheel chock and 4 tie downs, at least for the time being and may opt for the B&W Biker Bar. Also this would be my first new trailer.

Got this because I work away from home spending my work week in a hotel and wanting one of the bikes with me for when I can ride to work. But the biggest reason is because my wife will not ride very far, maybe 5 hours and we have riding friends that live much farther away. Some of our best friends are in mid Florida so very much looking forward to spending time with them again.

I will be picking it up Friday if I get back home early enough or very early Saturday morning as we have plans to ride with great friends Saturday since the forecast looks great, 65 and sunny. At least that is great for my cave area.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:54 PM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,193 Likes on 1,130 Posts

I hear where you are coming from I also work out of town most of the summer and stay in my fifth wheel camper and have a 6x12 enclosed to keep a bike in so I can ride every chance I get instead of only when I get home witch can sometimes be a couple months at a time! it will work out well for you.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:02 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,352 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Lots of different ways to trailer and the best is really up to you and how much you want to spend.

I've had several trailers through the years, open and enclosed.

If money is no object and you have the proper tow vehicle, I'd recommend a tandem axle (7'x14' being the smallest) aluminum with a "drop down" rear door. It will last you a lifetime, the resale is good and they're more in demand than a smaller unit.

I had a 6'x20' V-nose snowmobile trailer and it worked great as I could load 2 bikes (front-to-rear) have plenty of walk around room, and I didn't have to have the "hang-on" mirrors in order to see around and behind my me.

I currently have a huge landscape trailer that I can haul 4 bikes on but of course they're not protected from the weather or prying eyes when the trailer is parked with the bikes inside, which brings me to a different subject.

Having one bike (or more) sitting on wheels that can be used to very quick be hauled away (as in stolen) should give anyone thinking about locks on the trailer tongue as well as on the receiver into the hitch, not to mention having the bikes secured to the trailer as best you can.
I've never lost a bike off of a trailer yet, but there's always a first time for everything. Pick your motels wisely and look for well lit spots, visible from your room if possible.

As for the economics, trailering is of course more expensive in fuel costs than motorcycling. However, if you have a group, and if you're taking a long trip, multiple drivers and room sharing can be a good idea and in the unlikely event of an accident or serious breakdown, transporting the bike(s) home is not the headache it would be if you didn't have a trailer nearby.

FWIW. when I (we) trailer he bikes, we find a central "hub", store the truck and trailer (motel parking lot or trailer storage lot if we're going to be riding for more than a few days) and then do a huge "loop" then returning to the "hub".

We've been doing this for many years and not a serious issue yet.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:40 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

Regarding the original post of this thread: The 5x10 trailer is adequate in size, and the V nose will help with length. My Limited is about 8' in total length if I recall correctly. I bought a 12' trailer so I could have room for plastic totes, spare tire inside, etc. Anyway, you'll be a little tight in there but certainly okay. In a 5' trailer I would likely go with the Biker Bar to aid loading and hold-down. I would have probably done that in my 6x12 but stayed in my comfort zone of E track, good straps, and a Condor chock.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:54 AM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,193 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Hey dillbilly I also went with a condor wheel chock worth every penny makes loading and strapping down a breeze use the chock in the garage also

The following users liked this post:
StoneTrekker (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 06:39 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallard Slayer
Hey dillbilly I also went with a condor wheel chock worth every penny makes loading and strapping down a breeze use the chock in the garage also
Nice set up
If I had a place to park one (and not get $hit from the city every week) I would have a small one.
I keep my big enclosed at my fathers, long ways to go but I don't use it much.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:06 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

In 2004, I bought a jet ski trailer that had been converted to a flatbed. I further modified it to carry one bike, and added one foot high sides. I'e used it to haul firewood and general items.

Currently, my neighbor is completely revamping it. Gonna be hell for stout. It' amazing how much a guy uses a trailer when he has one!

Old 03-29-2018, 07:46 AM
Stud Duck
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 103 Posts

Subscribed
gathering info so that when i get my trailer i get rite.

Sounds like a plan Nobodyknowsme!

Old 03-29-2018, 08:22 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

I've got a 5x10 V-nose and it works perfect for my Street Glide or Softail. I use my Condor and tying down is a snap and the bikes never moves. Plenty of room to sleep in it as well and at $20 per night in a campground it saves me money over the long run as opposed to getting a room.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:59 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,275 Likes on 7,399 Posts

Congratulations!

That should work out very well!

Enjoy