General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII/Stage 1 upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Parrothead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII/Stage 1 upgrade question

Hey everyone. I'm a newbie that has been learning alot over the last few weeks here on the forum. I ordered a 2008 Road King Classic a couple of weeks ago and now the wait is on! I told them that I think I'm going to want a stage 1 upgrade because it will be covered under the two year warranty if I have it done upfront. My stage 1 would consist of V&H slip ons, a different A/C, and maybe a race tuner remap(?). I am trying to determine if this will help set my bike up to run richer and thus cooler after reading of all the heat issues on the 2007s (assuming it will be the same engine in the 08's). Is the PCIII a competitor to a Stage 1 remap? Should I wait and do the PCIII because it is a better product? Do they work together well and I should do the Stage 1 upgrade and just see how it goes from there before doing the PCIII? I'm trying to figure out the differences/similarities between the two. Thanks for the help on this issue. I'm sorry if this has been covered before. If it has will someone direct me to that thread?

Old 06-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: PCIII/Stage 1 upgrade question

Better not plan to much yet, Harley likes to throw out surprises. PCIII's and SERTS might not evenwork on the 08's, not saying I know anything but it's possible.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course, that doesn't mean the stealer won't be more than happy to install them for you anyway!

Old 06-21-2007, 12:16 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ECM maps that Harley sells are for specific applications that you can buy from the moco... i.e. SE slip on and SE intake. And the bike will still run lean with the new map.
Once you branch out to stage I parts that are not within the maps specifications, you may get a bike that runs OK, you may not... i.e. popping, etc.
The PCIII's, Race Tuners, etc, can be used in conjunction with the ecm re map, or they can stand on their own. You have more control over how the bike is tuned, and are able to eliminate the lean condition. Also, you can put any performance part on your bike and get it tuned in correctly.

I did the stage I ecm download, and the PCIII. My logic is if the PCIII went **** up while on the road, I would at least have the ECM making enough of an adjustment that I could get home without toasting my engine

Of course, add the fact that now everything has an O2 sensor, I don't know how that comes into the equation.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:07 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all if you are just doing slip ons you need no other upgrade. I had them on my bike installed by my dealer with nothing else done. I would run them first with no fuel management. If you want to more power then do the Sert. The PCIII gets up and down reviews here