Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gps

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 05:44 PM
e.nigma
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Road Tech 660LM, Like it but am thinking of moving up to the 590 for the twisty roads feature and the larger screen. Bitch is I have to pull the fairing outet and tank again because the mounts are different. Also, the TPMS feature on the Garmin version is disabled on the road tech.And the $800 price tag.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianHD (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 06:52 PM
CanadianHD
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone use their cell phone as gps? maybe put it in a waterproof case? I need a new cell phone. Maybe there is a good app. that is a good gps as that can load onto the cell phone? that would save lots of problems.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:57 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,055 Likes on 4,358 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianHD
Does anyone use their cell phone as gps? maybe put it in a waterproof case? I need a new cell phone. Maybe there is a good app. that is a good gps as that can load onto the cell phone? that would save lots of problems.
Cell phones get hot out on the bars, you'll need a gps, you may be out in the rain with one running, you may not. They do sell cases for them. There's one on Kijiji for sale now with the handlebar mount. Not sure where in Ontario you are. Check it out, cheap fix
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...ger/1343046553

CanadianHD (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 07:35 PM
CanadianHD
Advanced

oh thank you brother. Im just east of Toronto.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:48 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 590 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianHD
Fairly common in the Long Distance Riding community. As stated, they do get hot and overheat when in the sun and when in a case in the rain they do strange things since being wet affects the touch screen. Some even use full tablets such as an iPad. The down side is if simply running Google Maps or Waze like many do you are relying on having a cell signal.

If you want to go that route, I suggest looking for one of the phones that are actually waterproof so you don't need the extra case.

CanadianHD (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 08:55 AM
CanadianHD
Advanced

yes I saw this "CAT40" and there are others.
apparently there is a way to download maps onto your phone so it will not require data. The phone's gps just relates to the nesseary map however I don't know if these apps will talk to you through bluetooth.

it would be really great to not have to have a gps as well as a cell phone.

Last edited by CanadianHD; 03-29-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:04 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by cacomly
The down side is if simply running Google Maps or Waze like many do you are relying on having a cell signal.
Not any longer with Google Maps. Once you key up where you want to go it downloads the route so that if you lose service, it won’t matter, it’ll still get you there. If you’re going to be riding one area, you can selectively download a huge section of the map so that it again, won’t matter if you have service or not to use it. I save big areas to my Offline Maps so that I have them already in the phone since there’s a lot of areas I ride with no service.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cygnusx51:
cacomly (03-29-2018), CanadianHD (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 11:13 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 15,607 Likes on 6,654 Posts

Before I had to quit riding, I would use my iPhone 6 with the Garmin app installed on it. I mostly used it to find gas stations.

Last edited by Prot; 03-29-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by cacomly
Thanks. I don't have the room on my bars for a phone so I have not pursued mounting one. I assume you would lose the traffic alerts though which many rely on when we ride in rallies and are bound by a clock
I haven’t had to deal with that so I don’t know. I live pretty rural. But, if you’re gonna get stuck in traffic, it’ll happen no matter what you’re using. You can still divert away from it and it’ll still reroute you since it’s already downloaded the map area needed.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:29 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,838 Likes on 804 Posts

Can't go wrong with a Zumo. I've had various models from the first (450) to the latest (590LM), over the past 10+ years, and they all perform great. I ride in crap weather a LOT, and it's never an issue with them. I stream music via Bluetooth as well as hearing the directions. If you're set up properly, you can even use your phone for calls via the Zumo.

Some of the older models had optional XM antennas available for weather and traffic, but the 39x and 59x series' use a Garmin app on your phone that connects to the Zumo for that. Need a cell signal to get the functionality, though.

Cheers!

cacomly (03-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Gps