General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local police unfamiliar w/Modulating headlight law

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Lethkial
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local police unfamiliar w/Modulating headlight law

So, my wife and I finally got tired of changing our underwear after the little teenyboppers pulled right out in front of us all the while with the cell phone pasted to their ear, chewing gum, and putting on lipstick/combing their hair in the rearview mirror.

I installed a modulating headlight and now they stop dead in their tracks, or even pull over and let us go around them. I had one girl pull out in front of us but immediately pull over to the side of the road, almost in to a ditch and let us pass. She mouthed, "I'm sorry" to us as we passed her.

I love the thing, but was not ready for what happened today. A local "Township" cop pulled us over and came running up to us. He yelled "What is with the flicking headlights? You were trying to warn others of the speed trap and we don't look kindly on that."

I explained the Federal law to him. He said, "I've been doing this job for 17 years and I have never seen anything like this. I cannot believe that it is a law and I never heard of it."

I calmly explained it to him and he settled down and was admiring my bike. He said that he was more than willing to be educated and would look this law up when he got back to the "barracks". He returned my license and told us to have a good day.

I just called him back with the Federal law:
Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations -
49CFR Section 571.108, Paragraph S7.9.4, entitled "Motorcycle Headlamp Modulation System"

He said he talked to his PA State Police buddies and they said that it was illegal in PA, but they were just letting bikers slide on it. They were not citing anyone unless it was becoming an obvious nuisance. He said that PA can "tighten" a Federal law. They just can't "loosen" one!

WTF!?[:@]

Anyone else encounter anything like this out there.

Ride safe, my friends!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:23 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Local police unfamiliar w/Modulating headlight law

Here's a gift for you. Tell them to get off their donut-filled lard butts and research what the law of the land is. Especially note the part that says states can't make these things illegal. I'll try & dig up some more on this.

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/modulator_headlamp.pdf

Make a copy of this and carry it with your license and insurance card.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:46 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Here's what I pulled directly from the Fed's own sites. Matches up with what my previous post states.
49CFR571.108
Paragraph S7.9.4

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:
(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 <PLUS-MINUS40 cycles per minute.
(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000[deg] Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.
S7.9.4.2
(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.
(b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.

49USC30103

Sec. 30103. Relationship to other laws

a. UNIFORMITY OF REGULATIONS The Secretary of Transportation may not prescribe a safety regulation related to a motor vehicle subject to subchapter II of chapter 105 of this title that differs from a motor vehicle safety standard prescribed under this chapter. However, the Secretary may prescribe, for a motor vehicle operated by a carrier subject to subchapter II of chapter 105, a safety regulation that imposes a higher standard of performance after manufacture than that required by an applicable standard in effect at the time of manufacture.
b. PREEMPTION

1. When a motor vehicle safety standard is in effect under this chapter, a State or a political subdivision of a State may prescribe or continue in effect a standard applicable to the same aspect of performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment only if the standard is identical to the standard prescribed under this chapter. However,

Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Enos has some readin' to do.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Niiiiiiiiice... Sounds like a excellent plan.

ORIGINAL: pococj

Here's a gift for you. Tell them to get off their donut-filled lard butts and research what the law of the land is. Especially note the part that says states can't make these things illegal. I'll try & dig up some more on this.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good law, but I wonder if they got paid by the word for writing it.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the modulator on my Goldwing and PA was the only place I ever went where I got a hassle. I carried copies of the fed law to give LEOs and in PA they can't read and said that fed regulations didn't matter in Pa,duh!! Many LEOs stopped me and after giving them the reg said have a nice day, I ask they share at their next briefing.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:03 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have actully have wondered how safe they are, around here in NY people will flash their head lights as a signal that they are letting you pull out in front of them or on the interstate as a signal to trucks that they have cleared you and they can move into your lane. Cars pulling out in front of you is something you really don't want on a bike.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Lethkial
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: pococj

Thanks, Skip, I printed it out and put it in the saddlebag.

My wife said immediately after we left that the guy looked an awful lot like Barney Fife.

I agreed.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Lethkial
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: davidc

Cars pulling out in front of you is something you really don't want on a bike.
That is exactly what they were all doing BEFORE I put the modulator on, David. That is my point.

Since it has been on, they have stopped pulling out in front of me. They SEE me, now, even with the freakin' cell phone clamped to their defective heads, they actually acknowledge that we share the road together. It's amazing. It works!

I have the option to toggle it on and off, which I do often, but in high traffic areas with it on it is making a BIG difference to me.

Ride safe, my friends.

Quick Reply: Local police unfamiliar w/Modulating headlight law