General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local police unfamiliar w/Modulating headlight law

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Local police unfamiliar w/Modulating headlight law

States cannot "restrict" Federal law, as in ignore it! States may have a state law addressing the same subject that is equal to, or more demanding than, a Federal law. The example given of Cali's emissions regs is spot on.

PA could tighten the Fed law by requiring the light be modulated on both hi and low beam instead of only the hi beam for instance. But, PA cannot ignore the law by restricting its application within PA, or ticketing riders using a modulated beam during daylight hours, which is clearly legal like it or not.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 PM
RoadKingRon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Local police unfamiliar w/Modulating headlight law

ORIGINAL: pococj

ORIGINAL: ClassKing

ORIGINAL: RoadKingRon

ORIGINAL: pococj

Here's a gift for you. Tell them to get off their donut-filled lard butts and research what the law of the land is. Especially note the part that says states can't make these things illegal. I'll try & dig up some more on this.

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/modulator_headlamp.pdf

Make a copy of this and carry it with your license and insurance card.
that is awful strong talk. I am sure everyone else knows every possible aspect of their job right? There are many federal laws that states have the right to restrict. Dont forget law is a practice and subject to argument and interpretation.
I am not exactly sure I know what strong talk you are referring to Ron. I don't think Skip said anything harsh. I must be missing your drift. Enlighten me, if possible.

And thanks Skip, I have now printed it out again for my wallet. I will have answers for the next cop who pulls me over, because sure as ****, there will be more coming my way. That doesn't matter to me. I will continue to use it because I firmly believe that it has already saved my life more than once.

Ride safe, my friends!
LOL, Ron, strong talk is what I used when I was tossed in jail overnight because a cop didn't want to run the numbers on a buddy's bike to see if it was stolen. The cardboard temporary license plate had disintegrated during a long ride in the rain. I tend to get a little POd when stuff like this comes up. Too many places use penny-ante crap to raise revenue, and have absolutely no interest in the intent of many of these so-called safety issues, but only what they can grub from them.

I have utmost respect for LEOs who do their best at a most difficult and dangerous job. I have little respect for those who abuse their authority.What can I say - I'm a product of an era when it seemed every cop was the enemy simply because I rode a motorcycle.

Skip got the drift. thanks for expounding. I respect all opinions