General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Week vendors on Beach Street no more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 06:24 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Bike Week vendors on Beach Street no more.

It seems a large conglomerate is building a 10 story building on the large empty lot on Beach Street. It appears in their tax-free deal, they also got the city to cancel any more vendors on Beach Street during Bike Week and Biketoberfest. (hooligans and all that)
Seems that has upset a lot of the business owners on Beach Street, as it drew most of their revenue for the year.

The Indian dealership will be practically next door to the new building, and they didn't find out about the deal until just a few days after renewing a 5-year lease on the property.
The dealership claims that 85% of there revenue is from the 14 days a year Biketoberfest and Bike Week drive traffic to their dealership. No vendors = no traffic. The vendors have always driven the traffic to Beach Street.

Looks like there is gonna be more vendor setups at Destination Daytona next year.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:39 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

That lot was the old chrysler dealership, sat empty for many years until they knocked it down and then still there for many years just grown up grass and concrete. I doubt the city gives a rip about those bike shops. I was shocked then the news journal built that monster building right on the water.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:42 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Hey, if the city is so short sighted that they let cars drive on Main St during Bike Week and Biketoberfest, then closing Beach St to vendors doesn't surprise me. Hope those vendors move to the Speedway.
If Daytona thinks the city can become trendy & compete with St Augustine & New Smyrna, the city leaders are dumber than I thought.

Pretty soon the banners will be reading "Welcome to Ormond Bike Week!"

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:12 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 858 Likes on 328 Posts

Beach Street is looking pretty sad.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:26 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by shore
That lot was the old chrysler dealership, sat empty for many years until they knocked it down and then still there for many years just grown up grass and concrete. I doubt the city gives a rip about those bike shops. I was shocked then the news journal built that monster building right on the water.

Carls Speed Shop is already packing it in. I don't mind, he's an *******.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
Hey, if the city is so short sighted that they let cars drive on Main St during Bike Week and Biketoberfest, then closing Beach St to vendors doesn't surprise me. Hope those vendors move to the Speedway.
If Daytona thinks the city can become trendy & compete with St Augustine & New Smyrna, the city leaders are dumber than I thought.

Pretty soon the banners will be reading "Welcome to Ormond Bike Week!"

I love me some St Aug and NSB, both are different but they do what they do really well. Daytona has BW and BF and as long as Main St is allowed to keep playing it will stay that way. Plenty of open vendor spots up on US1 that where previously packed in years prior.

I don't think the city has much to do with it, if there where more people(read $), they would let it roll. I think Beach St is just the 1st place to clip short. That area was always kind of 2nd fiddle to Main st. It was an overfill area.

FWIW, I have never gone and do not see going into the track for a motorcycle event. Vendors never interested me so it's missing the point to me.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:03 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Wondered if they were ever going to develop that land. Commented about that to. A buddy when we were down there last time, wondering how much that land was worth

Old 03-16-2018, 09:18 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

i was amazed how many beach front property in the Flagler area was now "salon & spa" deals...which basically seems to say "this property ain't worth much"

Old 03-16-2018, 09:28 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04ctd
i was amazed how many beach front property in the Flagler area was now "salon & spa" deals...which basically seems to say "this property ain't worth much"
It's worth about, ½ million for an empty lot.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,988 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Was surprised about Beach Street. I sure see that hurting Indian and the other bike related shops there. There were more vendors at the speedway than the last few years. Seemed a few less at Rossmyer's this year.

Stupid to allow cars on Main street during bike week or Biketoberfest.

Quick Reply: Bike Week vendors on Beach Street no more.