Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting your bike apart

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Wam
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Setting your bike apart

After being in Daytona for a couple of days, I noticed a lot of different bikes. But I also noticed a lot of the same. Some looked so close it would have been easy to get on the wrong bike. I have always wanted my bike to be one if you saw it you would go wow and never forget seeing it, not because it was crazy looking or odd. But because when you saw it you knew someone had put a lot of time, money and work into it. I guess because I am so OCD, I want it to be prefect and spotless. And seems I am always chasing something else to do to it. Not all that crazy about a lot of attention, but does make me feel good when people compliment the bike. I pulled it in to put a different windshield on while in Daytona. Almost everyone that walked by stopped looked, and some took pictures, and some asked who's bike. At one point there was a crowd and the guy putting the windshield on couldn't get to the bike. I am proud of the way it has turned out so far, but really didn't think it was such a eye catcher. (Also please don't think I'm bragging, I saw a lot of bikes that I thought looked better than mine).

So just wondering if anyone else has this same problem? That is can't seem to quit.
Also wondering about the ones that seems to be or look like they want theirs to look like a lot of others? I would think everyone would want theirs to be different in some way. Thoughts?
Allen

Top Answer

03-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,907 Likes on 5,780 Posts

Originally Posted by Wam
After being in Daytona for a couple of days, I noticed a lot of different bikes. But I also noticed a lot of the same. Some looked so close it would have been easy to get on the wrong bike. I have always wanted my bike to be one if you saw it you would go wow and never forget seeing it, not because it was crazy looking or odd. But because when you saw it you knew someone had put a lot of time, money and work into it. I guess because I am so OCD, I want it to be prefect and spotless. And seems I am always chasing something else to do to it. Not all that crazy about a lot of attention, but does make me feel good when people compliment the bike. I pulled it in to put a different windshield on while in Daytona. Almost everyone that walked by stopped looked, and some took pictures, and some asked who's bike. At one point there was a crowd and the guy putting the windshield on couldn't get to the bike. I am proud of the way it has turned out so far, but really didn't think it was such a eye catcher. (Also please don't think I'm bragging, I saw a lot of bikes that I thought looked better than mine).

So just wondering if anyone else has this same problem? That is can't seem to quit.
Also wondering about the ones that seems to be or look like they want theirs to look like a lot of others? I would think everyone would want theirs to be different in some way. Thoughts?
Allen

Old 03-14-2018, 10:47 AM
LowRider68
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand and I like my bikes to be different. that's why I went with the Samson 42" Super Cholos, Shotgun Shock, ect. Nobody in my area has that style bike. I'm also crazy about that style bike.

I don't do it to get attention, frankly, its gets old after a while. I just like the artistic looks and I'm not even finished with it yet.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,907 Likes on 5,780 Posts

Originally Posted by Wam

Allen

The following 12 users liked this post by Tom84FXST:
02603SEC (03-14-2018), beanoboy (03-15-2018), cprhed (03-23-2018), cvaria (03-14-2018), Geoff (03-16-2018), GREENOHAWK69 (03-14-2018), lionsm13 (03-15-2018), nobodyknowsme (03-15-2018), Sarah93003 (03-14-2018), Sling Blade 14 (03-24-2018), Uncle Larry (03-16-2018), wyndnface (03-15-2018) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,921 Likes on 3,290 Posts

in 1995 I owned a Fatboy in the Canary yellow or whatever color they called it back then. At Sturgis, I could see my bike blocks away in a sea of black colored bikes. The color alone set it apart from everything else.

So, my opinion is to paint it a one off color and design.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:04 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Wam
.... But I also noticed a lot of the same. Some looked so close it would have been easy to get on the wrong bike. ...Thoughts?
...... i think that i do not have that problem

Last edited by groupw; 03-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TenMidgets (03-24-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Wam
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Alright

Another picture

One more, leaving for Daytona

Attached Thumbnails Setting your bike apart-img_20180201_183438219.jpg   Setting your bike apart-img_20180203_122905626.jpg   Setting your bike apart-img_20180309_115314420.jpg  

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-14-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:09 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

I bet if you leave your bike stock, it will get the most attention since it will be the only one like it.

The following 2 users liked this post by vizcarmb:
TenMidgets (03-24-2018), Viaqua (03-16-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 12:00 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 218 Likes on 140 Posts

I have a Lowrider S, there were only available with one color scheme, but only ran for a year and a half. So it stands out from other bikes but getting it to stand out from other S models is a bit more tricky.

Truth is I don't really want to change it, I like what it is. Only real changes I did was to spruce up the look of things like the pegs and make it passenger friendly.

Has effected my choice in an exhaust though. Went to a big meet up, saw 3 other LRS' and every last one of them put a TBR exhaust on it. Leaving mine stock actually made it stand out more, lol.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:19 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,556 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
I have a Lowrider S, there were only available with one color scheme, but only ran for a year and a half. So it stands out from other bikes but getting it to stand out from other S models is a bit more tricky.

Truth is I don't really want to change it, I like what it is. Only real changes I did was to spruce up the look of things like the pegs and make it passenger friendly.

Has effected my choice in an exhaust though. Went to a big meet up, saw 3 other LRS' and every last one of them put a TBR exhaust on it. Leaving mine stock actually made it stand out more, lol.
So much this. We got the same bike and everyone keeps doing the same "upgrades" to it, taller T Bars, ugly fairings, and goofy hand guards. Join the two Facebook groups for the FXDLS and every bike is customized to be carbon copies of each other and you'll see what I mean. Makes me what to puke in my soup. The only things I've done is swap out the exhaust for Cobra El Diablo and led everything, that's about the end of my customizing.

CaptainAwesome (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 01:23 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 101,715 Likes on 25,706 Posts

It took about 17 years but I have reached the point where I think my bike is perfect. Keeping going and eventually you may reach the same conclusion...hopefully it won't take you as long.

NCBANDIT (03-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Setting your bike apart