General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with HD Financing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018 | 08:58 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15
So if the dealership got a kickback for it then so be it who the hell cares!
Got a couple of coworkers that are hellbent on not lining someone else's pockets and take it to the extreme. One is super frugal and completely against paying "convenience fees" like service charges or interest, seeing it as giving someone your money for free. If he needed to take out money from an ATM, he'd rather spend 3x the money in gas driving to the bank than paying the $1.50 fee to withdraw it there.

Old 03-14-2018 | 09:41 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
That's the part I didn't like either. When I have a loan that say $400 is due on the 4th of the month, and I pay twice that amount, I want them to apply the excess to the principle, instead they say I am paid ahead. The next statement says I owe zero, and yet the interest is still kicking in each day. Maybe it all works out in the end, but on my other loans the principle drops and then the next month, I still owe the same payment but the 3% of my balance is now a smaller amount to the bank, and a larger amount to the principle.
If it's a simple interest loan (and unless someone named "Johnny Roastbeef" loaned you the money- IT IS a simple interest loan)

It should state such in the loan paperwork, truth in lending disclosures, and all the paper you signed and possibly didn't read has these details. I'd be very suprised if HD financial is making loans that were not simple interest.

Each and every day interest on the unpaid balance is calculated and added to your account balance. When a payment is applied, the payment is subtracted from the current balance- which includes the unpaid principal, and any accrued interest since the last payment. ALL PAYMENTS ARE APPLIED TO THE UNPAID LOAN BALANCE. There is no Principal vs Interest balance, just one balance that goes up every day by that day's interest charge (and any late fees, etc._
and goes down by the amount of any payments applied. The loan is structured such that making the required payment on or about the due date will retire the loan on or about the loan term date. Most loans accrue interest daily.

There is no allocation of part of the payment to the principal, part to the interest, etc..... It is all one bucket.

Why this is such a difficult concept for some to grasp is beyond me.............

Last edited by Brewmany; 03-14-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2018 | 10:26 AM
From_Behind
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Got a couple of coworkers that are hellbent on not lining someone else's pockets and take it to the extreme. One is super frugal and completely against paying "convenience fees" like service charges or interest, seeing it as giving someone your money for free. If he needed to take out money from an ATM, he'd rather spend 3x the money in gas driving to the bank than paying the $1.50 fee to withdraw it there.
LMAO! Those folks are always funny. I know one guy that refuses to do all of his grocery shopping at one store, because "Nobody needs to get that much of my money". LMFAO!

Old 03-14-2018 | 11:02 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member

Yup.... those are the run out the back door around the block to get to the front door kinda guys. They know all the angles and refuse to be “Got bye The Man”

Old 03-14-2018 | 11:24 AM
TroutBum
Tourer

Originally Posted by skratch
well, sorry it didn't work out for you. i had my loan set up on autopay. it always showed as paid on the day that i selected, even though the money wasn't actually taken out of my checking account for 2 or 3 days later...

eagle mark is not some 'fly by night' operation. they are a federal bank, and have to follow the same rules and regulations that everyone else does. if you feel that you are being taken advantage of, get your ducks in a row and report them. if they were doing what you say to everyone, they'd be out of business in a heartbeat.

I setup my March 10th payment via my banks online checking payment processing on February 25th which cleared 2/28/2018. My March 10 billing invoice was received by me on March 6, 2018 just 4 days before the payment is due and is consistent each month. This is why I pay using my online banking to setup payment 15 days prior to the due date so I am not late. The March 10th statement billing finally had the correct interest due calculated. It took from July of 2017 to February of 2018 of monthly calls for them to get to this point. My hope is this issue is behind me now and in 6 months I'll be paid in full and done with Eagle Mark.

Old 03-14-2018 | 11:28 AM
A&F
Advanced

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Tell him to get a bank card that pays ATM fees?

With USAA, I never have to pay an ATM fee.

Old 03-14-2018 | 02:27 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 2goldens
Last time I used HD Credit I simply made the payment through my local bank's online bill pay service.
HD was listed as an electronic payee. There was never an issue. And if there would have been I could simply walk in the front door of my local branch and straighten it out.
Something to consider if you're using your bank to pay other bills.
I do this as well,never had an issue in the 6 plus years since I bought my bike.

Old 03-14-2018 | 05:05 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
That's the part I didn't like either. When I have a loan that say $400 is due on the 4th of the month, and I pay twice that amount, I want them to apply the excess to the principle, instead they say I am paid ahead. The next statement says I owe zero, and yet the interest is still kicking in each day. Maybe it all works out in the end, but on my other loans the principle drops and then the next month, I still owe the same payment but the 3% of my balance is now a smaller amount to the bank, and a larger amount to the principle.
it does work that way. they just give you the option of not making a payment that month. but the extra is applied to principal, and the resulting interest paid will be less. either way, you are only paying interest on the outstanding balance of your loan, if you continue to make payments, then your balance will drop, your interest will drop, and you'll pay off your loan much earlier and save money on interest.

just disregard what they say is due and when and make your normal (or bigger) payment.

Old 03-14-2018 | 06:47 PM
Hoosier72
Intermediate

I set mine up on autopay with them right away and it's worked perfectly every time.

Old 03-15-2018 | 06:58 AM
zodder
Road Captain

I don't understand how such a simple process becomes so hard for some folks.....

Quick Reply: Issues with HD Financing.