General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First-time buying advice needed, please

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:52 PM
anewharley
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First-time buying advice needed, please

I am aware that everybody has opinions, and I guess I am looking for those in addition to some guidance. This would be my first bike purchase, and as such I am fairly nervous about the process altogether (financial stuff basically...I want to avoid as many "surprises"/pitfalls as I possibly can).

I have about $7000 total , and found a (seemingly very) sound 2004 1200 Custom for that price with 4000 miles on it. The bike has many add-ons: drag pipes, rear fender option, rider/passenger pegs, grips, windshield, backrest, professional pinstriping ,possible something else I am forgetting here. What I am looking for here is some assistance in things I need to look out for. I had the dealer (NOT a harley dealer, but a custom bike shop that took the bike as trade on one of its trikes) start it, and the engine seemed to run rough and vibrate a lot (granted it is a harley and was cold--I was told it had been a couple days since being started,) but not really having a lot of experience, I am not 100% on what is acceptable and what is not. It vibrated about the same as my neighbor's 2002 Low Rider does before warmed up, if that helps at all.

Outside of that, I did not notice any leaks of any sort or anything amiss; the bike seems flawless visably. What do you guys think of this deal; too good to pass up or something has to be wrong? Is there anything in particular I need to watch out for on this particular year and model (I know it's the first year for rubber-mounted engines and there were other "tweaks" involved)?
It is a couple hours ride to where the dealer is located and the closest HD dealer is over an hour away from there (thought about having it checked out there before possibly buying, but don't know if the dealer'd go for it).

I have the purchase ok'd by my wife, but she is concerned of the bike's age and corresponding lack of warranty (and I am a little as well, but not as much...I figure the low miles mean there is a lot less chance of things being/going wrong with it, as well as it's a Harley, so it's made better than the rest). I thought (very) briefly on an extended warranty, but found it overly expensive and likely would never pay for itself. My wife mentioned perhaps I'd be better off buying a new 2007 Honda VT750C2 for the same price and adding to (pipes, etc,) as I could afford to; then I'd at least have some warranty). I am torn; she makes sound logic, but I'd LOVE to have the Harley. On the other side of things, it's 750 vs. 1200--not a very even fight. I'm thinking the 750 could get boring soon (and have heard the same,) and figure I'd never tire of the Harley--I plan on riding strictly solo, to work weather-permitting, and on the occasional day trips.

Another question; how would those 2 bikes compare in maintenance; I had HD telling me the metrics are more expensive and Honda telling me Harleys are more expensive to keep up. Who's lying? Also, Honda told me Harley's still leak oil bad; I'd thought that was over with when the family bought the company back...

Well, that is about it; this decision is killing me (damn near literally,) so I need you guys' input here (yes, I do know it is an HD board here:P please keep in mind when replying that although I pick things up very fast, I am not currently mechanically inclined at all (though would like to learn). I have already went through the riding course and have my endorsement as well...hoping to become part of the family soon:/.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:08 PM
glady
Novice
Default RE: First-time buying advice needed, please

If your considering the Honda, why not a brand newSportster 883. You should be able to find a new one for close to $7k. I saw some great deals on 883's in late Fall/Winter. You can always upgrade to a 1200 when the dollars permit. The most expensive part of owning a Harley are the upgrades. I was sure I wanted a stock bike. Oh, but I wanted a more comfortable seat (Corbin). Those Vance and Hines pipes are pretty nice! Might as well add the air filter and SERT. The positive is that you can do it at your own pace and as your budget allows.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:10 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me I would put the $7000 down on something newer and get a soft tail of some kind. Shoot your payments might be less than $200 per month.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:11 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I think the '04 Sporty's didn't have the rubber mounted engine yet, so the shaking is probably going to be more than the other bike you compared it to.
'04 is not an old bike
See if the dealer will let it warm up and allow you to ride it??? ... or, have them go up and down the street a couple times and listen to it, then observe it while idling when they come in.

check the plugs for oil fouling

lots of people buy used HD's

if you want a Harley, you won't be happy spending your money on the other bike... you will have buyers regret

Old 06-20-2007, 02:13 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow a lot of questions there! I'll take a stab at a few-

1. Harleys don't leak oil.
2. The 1200 is a good motor.
3. Having just recently switched from a metric to a Harley I lean twords the Harley costing more to mantain.
4. Yup I agree the larger displacement is more fun.
5. Honda will most likely have fewer problems, just my observation after 6 months of owning the SG.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:43 PM
PlanoRider
Advanced

Go look at the bikes for sale forum on here. That sounds like a lot for a used Sportie.

At the risk of being flamed, I will say that you need to get a good deal on a Sportie because from what I have seen they are difficult to sell. Also I would think long and hard on whether you want a Sportie because they tend to be the bike many people start in and then move up pretty soon afterwards. If money is a issue it could be an expensive step in the process of getting the bike you really want. Sporties are so cheap new that used ones are difficult to sell and dealers don't give much for them in trade. The market is getting softer all the time for all Harleys so time is on your side.

I could compare Harleys and Hondas all day but it would not make any sense. They are truely apples and oranges. The motivation to have a Harley and a Honda are completely different.

Metric bikes sell for less because they have to. I don't think anyone really KNOWS for sure why but Harleys have always been more expensive. The Honda will be cheaper to buy, fix, customize, and maintain and it will have less problems. But it will be a Honda and if that is not what you want then it is cold comfort.

Its notcheap but I suggest that you rent a few different bikes. If you discover you would rather have a Softail or a RK or a Dyna later then you would be better off going there first for the money. Like the guy said earlier, put your money down on what you really want and get a small payment.

But remember, time is on your side and there are a lot of used bikes out there......... If you are still on the fence between a Harley and a Honda then your decision process is far from complete.....

Old 06-20-2007, 03:05 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer

Definatly agree with drrandall1, with 7 large you can have your pick of the litter at any dealer.a new dyna mabye. They have the sporty look with the big motor and start somewere around 15,000$

Old 06-20-2007, 04:44 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

All 04 Sporties are rubber mounted.

If you think you might want to upgrade to a bigger bike later buy one as close to stock as you can. You'll lose less money when you sell. If you want it to make noise you can buy some inexpensive slip ons for under $200.

Unless you absolutely have to have that bike with the upgrades I'd pass, even if you do plan to keep the bike for a while. You can pick up a used Sporty for less, especially an 883. You can upgrade an 883 to a 1200 for as little as $1,000. Anything you add to the bike you will never get back when you sell, but at least if you have it done you can be more comfortable about the work than just buying something unknown.

You can do a lot with $7,000. Be patient grasshopper.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
scremineaglesoftail0
Cruiser

the 04 sporty was my first bike it was an 883 brand newbut still great first bike(and i was in the harley family) i too was torn between the sporty and a shadow but wanted the h-d family of things and i too had cash $9000 to bexact,but nocredit to financea bike so i just paid inful. igues what im saying is the sporty is a great starter bike but if you can finance it put the money downon a new sporty or a dyna or softail what ever you chose make sure your happy with it let us know what you decide and enjoy

Old 06-20-2007, 10:07 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can buy a brand new 2007 xl883 sportster for 6,595.00
you can buy a brand new 1200 roadster for 8,695.00.
Why consider a Honda? You have enought cash to buy a Harley outright. I would save the 1600 extra clams and get the 1200.

Quick Reply: First-time buying advice needed, please