Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a heads up for anyone around Daytona/Ormond Beach Area

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 05:00 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Just a heads up for anyone around Daytona/Ormond Beach Area

Went over to Corbin in Ormond Beach for a new Fire & Ice seat. Coming off I-95 at Rossmeyers I turned South towards the Ormond/Daytona area. Motorcycle cops everywhere, about half of them had a vehicle pulled over. The rest were waiting in areas well off the road in areas you normally would not look for them. Be careful out there. 2 cars and 2 bikes all tore to hell on SR44 just east of 415. Looked real bad.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:10 PM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,640 Likes on 7,861 Posts

They are not being pulled over for speeding I was there today and traffic was at a standstill.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:28 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts

I saw a lot of motor cops working US1 hard earlier today between Ormond Beach and National Gardens. Lots of dumbasses haulin *** through that area leaving the Iron Horse area and heading to Daytona.

I usually take all the backstreets to get around during the events. I keep a low profile.
The guys who get pulled over are the guys who drew serious attention to themselves. The cops are pretty lenient during the events, and will turn a blind eye to a lot of ****. If they run you down, you deserved it.

The following users liked this post:
HarleyD1929 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Went through that area around 4pm. Cop pulled over a trike that was headed north on US1 & ran the red light at I-95. City of Bunnell, about 10 miles north of Destination Daytona is tough too. Unmarked cop cars in the median strip both north and south of town.

On a more positive note, the city of DeLand had a big crowd for their annual Bike Day. They do it up right and the crowds keep growing every year. Restaurants were jammin'. Employees were all smiles. Unlike Daytona, DeLand closes down the main drag to motorcycles only, and bikes are parked on both sides and also down the middle of the street.

The Speedway was busy, but they need some organization when it comes to the parking situation. Harley had a giant display & a good show with some young guys doing tricks on Sportsters. Demo rides looked busy. Indian had a fairly small presence, as they were sharing an area with Sling Shot, but their demo rides seemed busy & Sling Shot was giving fast rides with spin outs and screeching tires. If I had to bet, Custom Dynamics was the busiest vendor there.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,166 Likes on 2,863 Posts

The revenue collection has begun. You have to remember that Daytona is pretty much a ghost town unless there's an event happening so the events are when the locals have to make their money. Hence the price gouging - inflated hotel rates, food and drink prices among other rip-offs. Not to mention traffic citations and other infractions. It's how the city pays for sanitation, additional police coverage, increase in sewage disposal costs on and on ad nauseam.

So no, ain't nobody gettin' any breaks for anything. Anyway that's always been my experience.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:10 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Was there in ‘82 and loved it,2003,not so much.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:20 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
The revenue collection has begun. You have to remember that Daytona is pretty much a ghost town unless there's an event happening so the events are when the locals have to make their money. Hence the price gouging - inflated hotel rates, food and drink prices among other rip-offs. Not to mention traffic citations and other infractions. It's how the city pays for sanitation, additional police coverage, increase in sewage disposal costs on and on ad nauseam.

So no, ain't nobody gettin' any breaks for anything. Anyway that's always been my experience.
Most tourist areas have peak periods where the hotels and bars charge top dollar. Laconia and Sturgis are no different. But I agree with Bestrafen, the cops in this area are pretty patient and lenient. They may set up on the side of the road, but you'll only get hassled if you are acting/riding like an a-hole.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:35 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I saw a bunch of "bikers" headed for Daytona last week in their motor homes, pulling their trailers.
I could tell they were "bikers" because they were wearing Harley T-shirts and cool sunglasses while they drove along.

It seems that mostly idiots go to the big runs these days.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:56 PM
tpitman
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
On a more positive note, the city of DeLand had a big crowd for their annual Bike Day. They do it up right and the crowds keep growing every year. Restaurants were jammin'. Employees were all smiles. Unlike Daytona, DeLand closes down the main drag to motorcycles only, and bikes are parked on both sides and also down the middle of the street.
Was there from around 11:30 to 2. I went last year and I think this rally has really grown. A LOT of bikes. Reminiscent of Leesburg BikeFest, or getting there. I hope it keeps growing. I'd like to see more vendors and music, but there's plenty of booze and food. Deland is a nice town for this kind of event.

Attached Thumbnails Just a heads up for anyone around Daytona/Ormond Beach Area-deland-bike-rally.png  

Last edited by tpitman; 03-10-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,041 Likes on 548 Posts

I was debating on checking it out this year , from these reports it sounds like exactly what I try to avoid anymore , got no interest in crowds and traffic jams.

Quick Reply: Just a heads up for anyone around Daytona/Ormond Beach Area