General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running open filter in heavy rain.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:18 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Running open filter in heavy rain.

ORIGINAL: BKBagger99

Thanks, open filter it will be, I'm hoping it will allow more air flow and I can take that football lookin' thing off of the carb.

Bagger
it will allow for more air , depending on your air cleaner style , maybe a lot more. be sure you don't run her lean.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:19 PM
bak n blak
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SE ram air on my 07 night train, I've hit some heavy rain, and no probs (that i've noticed). They did tell me to cover it w/a ziplock bag when I wash & also one time when I trailered it up north through heavy rains (I know, it was on a trailer, but it was the only way it was getting there w/2 boys, a dog, and 2 weeks of clothes for all!). I've seen covers for the ram air, but don't have one.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:33 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: thelawdoc

Bagger,
I had never heard of an open air filter, though I have often wondered why an air filter needs to be covered. I have an 06 Deluxe and I am not crazy about that football cover. But what determines whether doing away with the cover is preferential? I did modify the bike somewhat with the VH Longshots. Thanks.
Take a look at the pic in the initial post, that's an open air filter. With the stock air filter (you said you modified the pipes, but didn't put an Screamin Eagle or Arlen Big Sucker air cleaner on), it's tougher to take the football cover off, as the stock filter is a funky shape and looks goofy. If you have the Stage 1 (meaning upgraded air cleaner) then you can take the football off, put in one of the inserts directly on the filter, and viola!

Old 06-21-2007, 05:01 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The K&N, Drag Specialties and other filter elements used in the open air type setups require the filter to be oiled. It is very difficult for water to get past the filter.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:35 AM
MikeyB
Tourer

Should be fine, but if you're really concerned wrap a piece of pantyhose around it.

MikeyB

Old 06-21-2007, 01:07 PM
dragonx
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey I ran an open element on my last bike never had any toubles in normal rain storm situations. Then I got stuck in the worst rain storm I have ever seen in a car or on a bike. I got stuck waiting to cross an intersection for about 5 minutes in the downpour when I took off the bike statrted sputtering and popping and died I started it back up and as long as I was easy on the throttle it was ok but when you tried to open it up very much and that carb really started sucking air it would sputter and pop or kill the bike. The filter was a K&N and there was the possiblitythat the filter may have needed reoiled.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:30 AM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the open filter as you can see in my sig pic.

But I do worry about heavy rain... so when I go on a long trip or when I know it's going to rain, I usually put the football back on.

With the SE A/C, it takes 30 seconds to change.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:32 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We got poured on last weekend and never had any problem.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 815 Posts

Been running my open air cleaner since last summer, and have never had a problem no matter how hard or long it has rained, and I've been in some heavy/long downpours!!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-22-2007, 09:33 AM
ohiomotoxer
Tourer

K&N does make an outerware for most filter models.
It's like a nylon looking cover that goes over the filter.

I never used one on my HD but I have iton my off road racing quad. At one grand national cross country the track went down a river for 100 feet, the water was almost over the seat........filter was dry.

My tilt front Mikuni duals run an open filter, I did get in some really heavy rain one time no problem for me.

Quick Reply: Running open filter in heavy rain.