General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield and rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,552 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Get a 3/4 helmet with a face shield and forget the windshield...unless you're in a car, where it belongs.
Do you ever ride in the rain?

Old 03-05-2018, 09:22 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,091 Likes on 630 Posts

Unless the windshield is tall enough to be at or above forehead level you will get hit in the face with rain. Even then you will get hit in the face with rain.

They truly are a "wind"shield. I learned that lesson years ago and have since accepted the fact. I now have a 9" LRS on my ultra. It comes to about lip level with a recurve which perfectly keeps the wind out of my face but in the rain it is full face helmet or wet face. Basically, how often do you ride in the rain?

Old 03-05-2018, 10:47 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,159 Likes on 12,040 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed
Basically, how often do you ride in the rain?
Yea that. Back in the day, I had to ride with no regard for weather. These days I don't have to ride. If rain is in the forecast, my bike stays parked.
Riding in the rain gets old, nothing like being cold, uncomfortable and wet to put a damper on your riding enthusiasm.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rain

Originally Posted by upflying
These days I don't have to ride. If rain is in the forecast, my bike stays parked. Riding in the rain gets old, nothing like being cold, uncomfortable and wet to put a damper on your riding enthusiasm.

I too have to agree...

The following users liked this post:
DaleM1 (02-12-2021)
Old 03-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,552 Likes on 844 Posts

Riding in the rain is a summertime way of life here on Florida's gulf coast. You try to evade the storms but chit happens.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Wam
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Part of the reason I asked, besides the fact I haven't rode this bike in the rain is I am riding down to Daytona. And any time you are around the coast or on a long trip there could be rain that you run into. I have a full face helmet, but like the half helmet better. I guess I will figure it out. I am sure whichever way I go full or half it will be the wrong way.
Thanks all
Allen

Old 03-05-2018, 12:35 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

At hiway speeds my glasses and wind shield stay clear. It's when I have to travel under 45mph or so the trouble for me begins. I have found the yellow night time yellow glasses help a lot too. I also use a good polish on my wind shield and glasses to help shed water. Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,191 Likes on 1,130 Posts

I have tried that rain x trick norty flatz is talking about and it works great for better visibility so you can tuck down behind the shield in a down poor and still see! use it on my boat windshield also good stuff

Old 03-05-2018, 06:47 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Received 4,807 Likes on 2,543 Posts

We occasionally get caught in the rain on rode trips, the windshield is good for just that "the wind". IMHO the only time to get the rain over your head is at highway speeds and then you getting into the hydroplane conditions. Windshields are also good for stopping most road debris.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:13 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

If you have a windshield about lip height on your ultra, it will be the closest you can come to a car. When I had my ultra with lowers on, it would have to be raining pretty hard to bother putting rain gear on! Amazing machines for crappy weather, close the vents on the lowers, plug in the heated vest and crank the tunes!

Quick Reply: Windshield and rain