General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the relaxed position.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:31 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyD1929
When I rode my fat boy from Oklahoma to Florida, I moved around on the bike as often as necessary.. Highway pegs, foot boards, even passenger pegs, sometimes just one leg, sometimes both.. And shifted from one cheek to the other constantly.. I do drop my left arm at cruising speed, but not light to light, and my right hand very rarely leaves the throttle (I hate cruise control, and will never use the thumbscrew for that).. Throttle bosses, or whatever you wanna call em are awesome, use the butt of your hand to keep a speed and wiggle your fingers til they aren't numb anymore.. (only at cruising, not light to light). And I never have both hands off the bars when riding, that's just stupid..

Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 AM
HarleyD1929
Tourer
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts

Exactly.. See it all the time.. Eventually read about em in the newspaper... ^^

Old 02-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I would drop back or turn onto another road and I sure would not stop and tell him how to ride his own damn bike.
What Bubba said. The guy in question obviously has a death grip on the bar.

When I'm out riding, it's to relax and enjoy myself and the scenery. It certainly isn't to get into confrontations by telling someone they're doing it wrong.

But, if any of you do that, be sure to get video so we can be entertained!

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Lawless:
HarleyD1929 (02-23-2018), Jackpot Johnnie (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,439 Likes on 6,190 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyD1929
And I never have both hands off the bars when riding, that's just stupid..
What do you mean? Seems perfectly OK to me...

Attached Thumbnails Riding in the relaxed position.-bike-text.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
HarleyD1929 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 10:44 AM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior
Received 935 Likes on 500 Posts

Who cares how anybody else rides. I'm guilty of riding one handed or no handed on long stretches. When I know when I'm heading out for a 5-6 or more hour ride to get where the hell I'm going and times an issue I can't stop and stretch every hour or so I try and stay ahead of getting sore by moving around whenever I can. If the guy can't control his bike and is making you nervous just steer clear. No need to make a big stink and come across like a reflective vest wearing safety ****. Ride your ride and let others ride theirs.

HarleyD1929 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 11:01 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,298 Likes on 6,041 Posts

I love my cruise control..... use it a lot on the highway. never in town. been known to ride one handed.... when no one is nearby.... always try to ride relaxed. I sometimes wander, but only when I'm googling at scenery or pretty ladies. otherwise I'm serious to what's around me and what I'm doing.
I would have dropped back or taken another route. dang sure not worth the time and effort to chew out another rider for his riding style....

Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 AM
03fattyaz
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 455 Likes on 224 Posts

I have metal in my left shoulder so I ride one handed all the time, I don't swerve tho unless it's intentional.

HarleyD1929 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 AM
HarleyD1929
Tourer
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by J_MOSH
Who cares how anybody else rides. I'm guilty of riding one handed or no handed on long stretches. When I know when I'm heading out for a 5-6 or more hour ride to get where the hell I'm going and times an issue I can't stop and stretch every hour or so I try and stay ahead of getting sore by moving around whenever I can. If the guy can't control his bike and is making you nervous just steer clear. No need to make a big stink and come across like a reflective vest wearing safety ****. Ride your ride and let others ride theirs.

I am not trying to be a safety ****, I just offered my opinion.. I agree with you 100 percent, ride your ride and let them ride theirs.. If you ain't comfortable riding with em, take the next turn and go your own way.. in my part of the world the roads aren't perfect, bumps, potholes, debris coming off of a variety of vehicles in front me. I'm gonna keep at least one hand at the controls...

Old 02-23-2018, 11:17 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

I will set the CC and take both hands off of the bars for extended periods of time. After two shoulder surgeries it helps. I can shift my body weight to slightly steer the bike within the lane. No big deal.

ETA: This is on the freeway.

As far as one hand on the bars? No problem anywhere. I can ride the mountains with one hand on the bars. I guess it depends on your comfort level. My wife has only been riding a couple of years and has just gotten to the point that she will even lift a hand from the bars for a couple of seconds.

Last edited by RedNose44; 02-23-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyboy22
I think the only time I'd get next to him would be at a stop light or sign. Then, I would advise him to take a less traveled road and/or take a riding class until he got more comfortable on the bike.
Originally Posted by Rocker B
Ya, and maybe ask him why the hell he keeps taking his left arm off the bar???
In reality, I wouldn't actually do anything other then avoid him....I personally like to ride with one hand at times, but I would be curious why, if someone swerves and sometimes almost hits cars when they take their hand off the bars, they would continue to do it??

Last edited by Rocker B; 02-23-2018 at 01:27 PM.
HarleyD1929 (02-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Riding in the relaxed position.