General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need suggestions on how to remove a baffle from Rush Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:23 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,225 Likes on 706 Posts
Default Need suggestions on how to remove a baffle from Rush Muffler

This is a slip on muffler but the baffle wasn't the size I wanted. I ran it for a couple of months as it was, and ordered/received the baffle size I wanted. When I went to remove the baffle, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the thing out. I hooked a cross-member that went across the middle and pulled. Eventually it broke off. I tried hammering it from the inlet side to no avail. I went with a sawzall in an attempt to cut it so I could kind of fold it in the reduce the outside diameter of the outside of the baffle. I have enough room now where I can stick a coat hanger opened up all the way down between the mat and the body of the muffler, and tried moving it around the outside of the mat to help things along. Still nothing. I can move the metal part about an inch or so, but it catches on the mat and stops it cold. The mat itself is rusted to the body of the muffler. I think if I could remove the mat completely that would help, but there really isn't any room to get in there to pull it out.

I have been working on it for about 6 years off and on but I have yet to make any headway. I have saturated the mat with WD-40 and some Liquid Wrench to maybe help break the mat free, but to date that hasn't worked.

I do have a long knife made by Regency Swords but the blade isn't long enough. The blade is almost 11 inches long by 7/8ths of an inch wide, but I can't get it in far enough to do any good. My regular swords are plenty long enough, but the blades are too wide and thick. Something like a Rapier might work, but I don't want to invest in one just for this purpose.

That's what I've tried so far, and really I would rather be able to use it instead of pitching it or making something for the garden with it. I do have the replacement baffle around here someplace but I haven't seen it in years. If I do finally manage to get the baffle out, if I still can't find the other baffle, I could always get the Thunder Torque Inserts from DK Custom and go that route.

I'd love to hear any suggestions y'all might have to remove the baffle.

It's not that I really need the Rush muffler, I have the Cobra Tri Oval for the 2 into 1 pipe, as well as the stock muffler for the occasion where I need to sneak up on someone

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom - ST (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 02:13 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm

I have been working on it for about 6 years off and on but I have yet to make any headway.
So, what's the rush?

Cowboy Rob (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:04 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,423 Likes on 6,180 Posts

Most slip ons I have seen removable baffles have a screw or bolt on the bottom or backside of the muffler. Remove the bolt, replace the baffle then put the bolt back in and you're on your way.
Are you sure it's a removable baffle? Some are welded in and need to be cut out.

edited to add- BTW you are either the most patient or determined person I've ever heard of. 6 years?

Last edited by Bubba Zanetti; 02-21-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

After 6 years, I would have sent it to Rush by now asking them to remove it and install the baffle that you wanted. Who knows, if they can’t get it, maybe they’ll just send you a new slip on set up how you want it.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:22 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

You can try putting it in the oven at 425 degrees for about 20-30 minutes. Might not be doable if the WD-40 that you put in there starts to smoke.

You can also use an air impact hammer to cut/chip/vibrate the baffle out. Harbor Freight sells a kit that comes with many tips. One has a V shaped tip. Try it at the point where you can insert the coat hanger. The v shape will act like scissors and cut through the metal in no time. The vibrations from the air hammer will loosen everything else. You may also want to heat the inside with a propane torch to the inside of the slip-on to break the rust and bond between the metals.

Bonnie Storm (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 08:36 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,187 Likes on 6,716 Posts

So, you're beating the hell out of a 6 year-old muffler that you can't find the replacement innards for?
Get a new muffler. You sound a little crazy...and stay away from my stuff.

The following 5 users liked this post by RHPAW:
Cowboy Rob (02-21-2018), LoneWoolf (02-24-2018), riteway (02-21-2018), RK4ME (02-21-2018), tar_snake (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,966 Likes on 19,387 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
This is a slip on muffler but the baffle wasn't the size I wanted. I ran it for a couple of months as it was, and ordered/received the baffle size I wanted. When I went to remove the baffle, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the thing out. I hooked a cross-member that went across the middle and pulled. Eventually it broke off. I tried hammering it from the inlet side to no avail. I went with a sawzall in an attempt to cut it so I could kind of fold it in the reduce the outside diameter of the outside of the baffle. I have enough room now where I can stick a coat hanger opened up all the way down between the mat and the body of the muffler, and tried moving it around the outside of the mat to help things along. Still nothing. I can move the metal part about an inch or so, but it catches on the mat and stops it cold. The mat itself is rusted to the body of the muffler. I think if I could remove the mat completely that would help, but there really isn't any room to get in there to pull it out.

I have been working on it for about 6 years off and on but I have yet to make any headway. I have saturated the mat with WD-40 and some Liquid Wrench to maybe help break the mat free, but to date that hasn't worked.

I do have a long knife made by Regency Swords but the blade isn't long enough. The blade is almost 11 inches long by 7/8ths of an inch wide, but I can't get it in far enough to do any good. My regular swords are plenty long enough, but the blades are too wide and thick. Something like a Rapier might work, but I don't want to invest in one just for this purpose.

That's what I've tried so far, and really I would rather be able to use it instead of pitching it or making something for the garden with it. I do have the replacement baffle around here someplace but I haven't seen it in years. If I do finally manage to get the baffle out, if I still can't find the other baffle, I could always get the Thunder Torque Inserts from DK Custom and go that route.

I'd love to hear any suggestions y'all might have to remove the baffle.

It's not that I really need the Rush muffler, I have the Cobra Tri Oval for the 2 into 1 pipe, as well as the stock muffler for the occasion where I need to sneak up on someone
I have been working on it for about 6 years off and on but I have yet to make any headway ... I'd hazard a guess it is 6 H O U R S :>)

Old 02-21-2018, 09:13 AM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

My Rush had a rivet in the lower back. Cut the head of the rivet off pushed the rivet in and the baffle fell out.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:30 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Six years, 6 hours, either way that’s too damn long to work on one can. The baffle with either be bolted in, riveted in, or welded in. If it’s used, some jackwad might have slopped in a tube of JB Weld, you don’t know.

Frankly after an hour or two I’d have either called Rush, swung by my local indy, or just started hitting CL or EBay to find a new set closer to what I was looking for.

I just don’t have that kind of patience.

tar_snake (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 11:31 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by chamokie
My Rush had a rivet in the lower back. Cut the head of the rivet off pushed the rivet in and the baffle fell out.
My Rush had a bolt toward the back end. My left baffle just took two years of riding for the bolt - and the baffle - to work out on their own...boom, baffle out!

Quick Reply: Need suggestions on how to remove a baffle from Rush Muffler