General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New riding pants

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018 | 01:49 PM
fat_tony
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default New riding pants

The brown fairy (UPS guy) just came with more motorcycle stuff, got a new pair of Klim Outrider riding pants. Kinda surprised other manufacturers have not done this before in the riding jeans market but they are basically a pair of Carharts made with a more trim cut and made from abrasion resistant cotton feel Cordura fabric blend fabric with D3O armor in the knees and hips. Just bought a Klim Gore tex riding jacket too. Really impressed with Klim's quality and functionality. Lots of video demos on youtube.

They will probably destroy themselves protecting you in a slide but I doubt anyone would suffer abrasion or tumbling injuries in them in say a 50mph slide - as long as the rest of your body was protected and you did not hit anything solid or immobile . For me they are basically a $180 insurance policy that I don't have to miss work with abrasion injuries to my legs if I slide and also hopefully offer some protection from more severe and life altering hip and knee injuries.

I've taken two slides over the years so have an idea of what it is like IMO better textile gear protects just as well as leather, and is a lot more comfortable to wear and more versatile - as long as the armor fits well and does not slip around, but it will not be reusable after a long slide.

In my experience any gear, leather or otherwise, will immediately wear through on pressure points like your elbows or shoulders so if you don't have armor pads underneath to protect from the initial high speed impact with the road, tumbling, and subsequent abrasion you're in DEEP ****. The newer D3O armor is super soft and flexible, almost like thin, soft rubber, so is very comfortable to wear, you don't even notice it is there, but will instantly change its molecular structure with the force of an impact to harden up and disperse the force of impact.

Last edited by fat_tony; 02-15-2018 at 02:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
klap (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018 | 05:11 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Very cool pants! I'll definitely consider them. Do you have any miles in them yet to give somewhat of a review on the feel?

Old 02-15-2018 | 05:22 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain

Sounds cool, I have been using Duluth Trading Firehose work pants, but I'll check these out.

Old 02-15-2018 | 05:40 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Klim get really good reviews. I have textile gear of different brands. Yes it does get destroyed in a slide. One other thing is that it also melts. I have a nice burn scar on one of my elbows from the cordura and plastic "armor" melting to my skin. That was the least of my worries on that incident though. Of note was that it was at about 35mph. And the Duluth firehose jeans I was wearing....they held up just as well as my jacket.

Old 02-15-2018 | 05:40 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned
Veteran: Air Force

They sound like....

Democrat pants. LOL

Wrong fat tony? Always get confused.

Last edited by nobodyknowsme; 02-15-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2018 | 08:38 PM
penmaker
Road Master

Those kind of pants are always too short for me. I wear a 38 inseam wrangler jean. I have a true 36 inch inseam and I buy my jeans as long as I can so they don't ride up when I'm riding. I wish they made them in taller sizes.

Old 02-15-2018 | 08:43 PM
confederate
Most Wanted

So when ya gonna post a photo of you and your bike fat tony??? I know you are aware of the thread I'm referring to in the POD. Until you do, I'll have to agree with the others that you are a troll living in your momma's basement.

The following users liked this post:
whocares (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018 | 08:45 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member

Good lead. Will take a close look next time riding jeans hit the shopping list. Just got a pair of black Diamond Gusset Defender riding jeans so it'll be sometime this summer.

Old 02-15-2018 | 09:18 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member

I like the style but wish they had kevlar in the knees, hip and seat area for that price.

Old 02-15-2018 | 10:00 PM
fat_tony
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Very cool pants! I'll definitely consider them. Do you have any miles in them yet to give somewhat of a review on the feel?
Currently snowbound but have worn them around and they are as comfortable to wear as regular pants. The only difference is that they are slightly heavier with armor and heavier fabric so you do need to wear a belt to hold them up. Sizing is similar to jean sizing.

Quick Reply: New riding pants