Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Ebay VS Arlen Ness parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:11 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,936 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I'm not a big one for paying over-reasonable prices from a "name brand" either... but I do want a quality part, manufactured by someone who's business means something to them. I will often price shop a good bit, then I discard the cheapest of the bunch and look closely at reviews, manuf. processes etc. of the "middle" of the road priced products.

It's worked fairly well for me over the years. The bottom of the basket products are usually where you'll find the dangerous, poorly built knock-off crap and I've been able to avoid those... most of the time. Every once in awhile though... **** happens.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,973 Likes on 17,895 Posts

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
So I'm on ebay and looking at floor boards, found a set I like bought them. Send a picture to my friend, told him I paid 260 shipped he said bs. They are Arlen Ness I said nope some cheap off brand.

5 days later they show up they are the same ones at Arlen Ness even have his logo on them what the hell I would be pissed if I sent the big bucks and this happened

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Deep-Cut...72.m2749.l2649
Hate to pop the Ness love bubble but he has most of his **** made in china and has for years.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Jackpot Johnnie (02-15-2018), nobodyknowsme (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Hate to pop the Ness love bubble but he has most of his **** made in china and has for years.
So do a lot of companies but it’s different when the US based company has a direct influence in the production of those parts as compared to some business just looking to make knockoff products and pump out cheap crap.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:27 PM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

Personally I hate anyone that makes a direct copy so I try not to support the cheap knock off crap. It happens in every industry and it's basically the same as a thief coming to your house and stealing from your family if you work for or own the innovating company. It will never stop because so many people look to cut corners and save a buck.

I work hard for my money and save up until I can get the good stuff. To each their own though.

The following users liked this post:
Steve@arlenness.com (02-20-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51

So do a lot of companies but it’s different when the US based company has a direct influence in the production of those parts as compared to some business just looking to make knockoff products and pump out cheap crap.
Arlen quit being actively involved in any of his branded product long ago aside from maybe looking at a prototype occasionally or the usual power point presentation. Known Ness since the late 70's, wouldn't have anything with his brand near my sleds for numerous reasons.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:01 PM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
I'm ok with knock off. even says in add JUST LIKE ness stuff
Just like is absolutely not the same.

Might look and feel like the real McCoy, but it most definitely is not

Old 02-15-2018, 09:24 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,889 Likes on 11,969 Posts

Arlen quit being actively involved in any of his branded product long ago aside from maybe looking at a prototype occasionally or the usual power point presentation. Known Ness since the late 70's, wouldn't have anything with his brand near my sleds for numerous reasons.
Didn't he have a small shop near E.14th and 150th in San Leandro? I recall going in there in the 70's.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Arlen quit being actively involved in any of his branded product long ago aside from maybe looking at a prototype occasionally or the usual power point presentation.
Well I’d hope that he has someone that keeps tabs on the production overseas if he personally doesn’t do it. My point was it’s still a different ball game concerning the differences between a legitimate company and the counterfeiters.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by upflying
Didn't he have a small shop near E.14th and 150th in San Leandro? I recall going in there in the 70's.
He did up till 03 or 04 can't remember exactly then he moved to Dublin. Still have crates of odd stuff from rummaging around in the back when they were cleaning house to move.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51

Well I’d hope that he has someone that keeps tabs on the production overseas if he personally doesn’t do it. My point was it’s still a different ball game concerning the differences between a legitimate company and the counterfeiters.
What happens more times than not with the china connection since the net and ebay are so easy, the contracted supplier will over produce then blackmarket the overstock at cut throat prices on the sly through shell companies.

Quick Reply: Cheap Ebay VS Arlen Ness parts