General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will it catch fire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018 | 11:14 AM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by GRWHD
Fumes are way more volatile than fuel.
Correct, in fact in order for gas to work in your engine, it has to be converted to "fumes" via the carb or injector.

Old 02-16-2018 | 11:22 AM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by bowelder
I've been a welder professionally for 48 years, and to tell you the truth I would turn you down if you brought it to me to weld. Your post brings back memories of a coworker of mine years ago, he tried to weld on a car gas tank, it didn't go very well. He did what he thought would work by filling it with water and letting it sit for a couple of days and draining it and then re filling it with hot water and detergent and then draining and rinsing before he tried welding on it, well it blew up he and it nearly took his thumb off, he was lucky that's all that happened. What you want to do is to dangerous, buy a new tank, your well being is worth more than that tank.
While I can appreciate your concern, it is possible to do it by somebody who knows how to correctly handle the challenges. I had a wideglide tank welded by a shop for a similar issue and know of other people who also have.

Old 02-16-2018 | 12:08 PM
HarleyHappy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,536 Likes on 2,278 Posts

The good reason to disconnect the battery is so no damage to electrical system.

Old 02-18-2018 | 03:53 AM
YammyBase
|
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Successful job.

Thanks guys for the advise.
We have spend yesterday morning working on the tank and successfully completed the job. I feel like I have stepped up in my customisation kill.

1. first we've let the petrol completely dry out by letting hot exhaust gas out of my car for 20-30 minutes.

2. had the wet towel handy and wrapped around the frame.

3. finished with little bit of putty, primer, paint and clear coat.

Thanks for all your advise.

The following 3 users liked this post by YammyBase:
Rakthi (02-18-2018), TwiZted Biker (02-18-2018), Uncle Larry (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018 | 05:15 AM
Killa
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good job Yammy,,,,It seems some people "over think" things.

The following users liked this post:
YammyBase (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018 | 09:30 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,084 Likes on 17,944 Posts

Wasn't as bad as you thought it would be was it ? Think things through, take the time and do proper prep work, take reasonable and thought out safety steps, and don't get in a hurry and most jobs fall into place no issues and look good when done.

Nicely done my friend welcome to club.

Old 02-18-2018 | 05:19 PM
YammyBase
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Killa
Good job Yammy,,,,It seems some people "over think" things.
Yeah, I was a prime example of one too haha

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Wasn't as bad as you thought it would be was it ? Think things through, take the time and do proper prep work, take reasonable and thought out safety steps, and don't get in a hurry and most jobs fall into place no issues and look good when done.

Nicely done my friend welcome to club.
Thank you sir.
Yup just like painting it took lot more time to actually do prep work than the welding itself! Im just glad there was no BOOM & no one died hahaha

Old 02-18-2018 | 05:36 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Since You are in Sydney Australia, the next time you are in the dealership for any reason, would you ask and see if you can buy a Screamin Race tuner, one that we can't buy here in the States any more, since the EPA took a **** on us. Don't make a special trip or anything like that. I already have one that I bought back in 07 but I would just like to know.
By the way you did a great job, it looks very professional to me, actually it looks better than that, because of all the care you put into your project.

Last edited by 6 gun; 02-18-2018 at 05:40 PM.
YammyBase (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018 | 06:13 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Some belated theory for the insomniacs among you.

Please don't take this as a contradiction of the excellent advice already given. I'm not a welder.

Combustion requires fuel (gas vapour), heat (welder), and oxygen. Remove any one of the 3 and combustion can't take place.

As others have pointed out already, vapour is near impossible to eliminate from tanks, for whatever reason, but you can eliminate the oxygen by displacing it with things like water, N2 (Nitrogen) or CO (Exhaust). Water can be problematic and as a rinse its effect on vapour will be temporary and its effect on O2 will be nill.

Exhaust is pretty easy to come by and if you can feed an exhaust hose into a tank so that fumes thoroughly displace the oxygen, then lightly cap the tank by sitting a rubber ball on the opening to hold the CO in, you'll have effectively removed the O2 preventing the possibility of combustion.

I get it that for the experienced, this may be just too much fvcking around but for the nervous among us, displacing the O2 is a sure way of widening the safety margin.

FWIW

YammyBase (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018 | 07:14 PM
YammyBase
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Since You are in Sydney Australia, the next time you are in the dealership for any reason, would you ask and see if you can buy a Screamin Race tuner, one that we can't buy here in the States any more, since the EPA took a **** on us. Don't make a special trip or anything like that. I already have one that I bought back in 07 but I would just like to know.
By the way you did a great job, it looks very professional to me, actually it looks better than that, because of all the care you put into your project.
I've already asked about a month ago when I was picking up my bike.
Its still around but will be out of stock very soon here too. Aftermarket tuners will replace the stock one in Australia as well.