General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD dealer safety course

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:46 AM
grizgrin
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD dealer safety course

grizgrin here from Carolina, thought I'd sign up to start educain myself before I go byin a cycle. Hope y'all don't mind some questions. First off, I've heard some really good things from some harley riders I know about this motorcycle safety course that HD dealers offer. Bein someone who's never ridden, sounds like a great way to kill two birds with one stone. Bird one bein' gettin my kiester onto a few different types of rides and spinnin the wheels to see what I like, and 2 bein some lessons on gettin down the road without become a statistic. Any one here ever taken this course, and if so what all did it involve? Good experiences, bad experiences? Thanks for lettin me on the forum, and hope to hear from ya.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Toyman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HD dealer safety course

I've heard nothing but good things about these classes. So muchthat even though I've been riding foralmost 40 years I may just take the advanced coarse.This sport is dangerous and education can make it much safer.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:27 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Grizgrin. My wife took the Riders Edge course last year because if I went to teach her to ride we would be divorced right now, but that is a different story. Anyway, she learned a lot. She went from never riding a bike to having the skills, knowledge and confidence to ride on the road. She hated her instructors but learned from them. You will not have the opportunity to ride a bunch of bikes though. They use the BuellBlast as the trainer.Where this class differs from the MSF class is in class size. My wife's class had 6 students in it allowing more bike time and personal care. Go for itand be safe out there.

Mark

Old 06-19-2007, 08:59 AM
fxst00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know here its about 100 dollars more expensive than the MSF course.
From what I have heard its about the same context wise.
Jeff

Old 06-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any education you can get is a good thang!!! The more you know the better it gets. I was an MSF instructor for 6 years and have not taken the HD course. I did watch one being given for about an hour and looked well thought out and very professional. I have been riding for more than 40 years and just 3 weeks ago took the experienced rider course. It makes you practice things you may not think about.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: fxst00

I know here its about 100 dollars more expensive than the MSF course.
From what I have heard its about the same context wise.
Jeff
Out here, it is also about $100 more expensive than the MSF course and covers exactly the same material.You caneither take Rider's Edge or the MSF course, depending on which one is the most convenient and fits your schedule better. Either way, bottom line, take a course, don't substitute the "learn from a buddy" method.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:12 PM
DLW_FLHTC
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took it when I started back riding and believe I got a lot from it and my wife new to riding took it and learned a lot. We took it on Buel Blast they were fun to ride. We also got a $50 kick back in the form of a gift card at the dealer that we took the class from. The problem with the standard MSF course was that they filled up so fast we could not get into them. It was also eaiser to get a bunch of buddies taking the class together with the HD class. I recommend the class, I do assume it is somewhat dependent on the individual teacher. Enjoy the ride!!