General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ears and Harley’s

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:54 PM
hitthecoast
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ears and Harley’s

I’ve been riding with a full face helmet. I ride ALOT. With my full face helmet, I still get so much wind noise in my ears it seems louder than the bike, and my thunderheader is really loud. Today I put 150 miles on it with a passenger. When I got off to eat and talk, I felt a little different in my hearing abilities. I do have disposable earplugs at the house. When I lay down in my bed, my ears will ring at certain times. As I’m typing this, I hear a steady faint tinnitus ringing. Told my doctor about it. I was the passenger in a rollover single car freeway crash last month and had to get stitches in the back of my head from the roof caving in. The doctors said there was possibility of a concussion but there was no way to tell. I don’t remember hitting my head THAT hard, I didn’t lose consciousness either.

anyways, I’m posting this because I want to get input on your thoughts on wind/exhaust hearing damage. Do all you guys use ear plugs? And why does my full face helmet still give me maximum wind noise?

Old 02-11-2018, 12:40 AM
ShiffJ
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always wear NRR 33 ear plugs. Different full face helmets have different noise levels. Different bikes also have different wind protection allowing wind from different places up into the helmet.

Even with ear plugs you will still hear the wind but it will be tone it down to a dull sound. Kind of like if you stick your fingers in your ears. You can still hear things but it is "duller".

Old 02-11-2018, 12:43 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,346 Likes on 616 Posts

When I took riding class the instructors said if you didn't wear hearing protection or a fullface helmet you will eventually get hearing damage from the wind noise

The following users liked this post:
cobalt07 (04-04-2020)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:44 AM
13dino
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Because of what you say, wear ear plugs. Tinnitus is like a curse to those who can't ignore it all the time. I wasn't thinking of mine till reading your statement, and now here it is once again.
Unlike the past, with today's knowledge take preventative measures to avoid unnecessary BS in your future life that's nothing but a bummer.

Last edited by 13dino; 02-11-2018 at 12:51 AM.
smitty901 (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:45 AM
Skogdog
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

You need to see an ENT (ear, nose and throat) physician ASAP. If you can't afford it, go to Costco or Sam's Club to get your hearing checked by a professional (ASHA Certified) Audiologist. But almost guaranteed they will recommend hearing aids.
Is this covered by the medical insurance section of the rollover you were in? When you ask the auto insurance company if the medical covers this, make sure they know you'll run it by your lawyer.
A head trauma can occasion a sudden (and permanent) hearing loss.
Then---always protect your hearing with serious earplugs or you will be buying very pricey hearing aids when you get older. And you'll not be participating in a lot of conversations, not chatting in restaurants, hearing movies, etc due to hearing loss. It is a punishing disorder.
And to be clear: sustained noise, for bikers it's the loud pipes and wind noise---will result in hearing loss. It may or may not show up immediately, but the damage is cumulative and irreversible.

bill from tn (04-05-2020)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:13 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,510 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by 13dino
Because of what you say, wear ear plugs. Tinnitus is like a curse to those who can't ignore it all the time.
Unlike the past, with today's knowledge take preventative measures to avoid unnecessary BS in your future life that's nothing but a bummer.
Yep, I have it pretty bad, no real hearing loss just nonstop tinnitus. Now I wear ear plugs to prevent further damage. Wish I had years ago.

The following 2 users liked this post by awilson40:
skratch (04-04-2020), u wish u could ride (04-04-2020)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:43 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I wear ear plugs every time, makes a big difference. Be aware that it takes some time to get used to them, the first few times you wear them you'll feel cut off from the world, almost isolated but that feeling goes away. Hearing loss is permanent and cumulative.

I feel fortunate at 50 to have my hearing. I played drums in bands for close to 30 years, a lot of my fellow musicians have hearing loss. Couple that with the wind noise from the bikes and I might very well need hearing aids today if I hadn't taken hearing protection seriously a number of years back. One of the guys I ride with has industrial hearing loss from working in a metal shop. It's miserable and I never want to deal with that.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:51 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Between the jets, network equipment fans and motorcycle exhausts...my ears are shot. Get to your ENT and have your tested. Then get a set of custom "fitted" ear plugs. They work x1000 better than the cheap foam/formed ones. Your ears will thank you.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:54 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,391 Likes on 5,511 Posts

You will suffer hearing damage riding with out protection. Heck even driving in a car with window down will do it.
Full coverage and Modular helmets must fit right or they let a lot of noise in.
I have major hearing lost that had nothing to do with riding and need to protect what I have. I ditched loud pipes long ago. Do what I can to protect it.
Replace my helmet a while back . It was shocking how the compression in the padding had gone unnoticed and was allowing a lot more noise in.
I have had hearing aids for 12 years. They are amazing but are not the same as real hearing. Even when VA pays the bill it still sucks.

Last edited by smitty901; 02-11-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:54 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

I have had loss of hearing since the later 70s and it is a pain in the rear to have to strain and read lips just to know what is being said so take care of your ears!

Quick Reply: Ears and Harley’s