Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting on a tow

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:07 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 218 Likes on 140 Posts

If it wasn't for the clunk my money would be on the bearings. Granted the bike has less than 7,000 miles on it, so that's way too soon for normal wear.

I've ridden with a couple tires that have gone flat, I did check for that but both tires held strong and it again it was at random, not a constant. And a flat tire road more like I was on Jello, this road like there was a 2" strip of pavement missing and I was crossing it at random. It was rather violent.

I did a quick check with my motor mounts, the last few blocks it felt like the front and the rear were not on the same page. I felt the rear kick out and it didn't feel quite right when I was bring it to a stop. Unglued somehow.

All of which I would think a bearing. Or since I have ABS brakes maybe it was kicking it at random. But it got worse, just a little at first then loads within a half mile. I couldn't do 30 without it being super squirrelly anymore.

And the clunk. Happened 4 times. Once when I realized I had a problem after I had just pulled over (thinking maybe I could limp it the couple miles to the dealer), wasn't bad but enough where I went, "that's not right... maybe I flicked a rock up and hit my license plate?". Then when I hit 3rd gear it did it noticeably harder, again sounded like my licence plate was hit really hard. (I checked the belt, maybe I was throwing teeth at it somehow I thought. ) That's the point I pulled into the parking lot I stayed at. Couldn't find a problem, I was 10 minutes way from the dealer on the road they're on... maybe I could limp it there. 3 mph in the parking lot, I'm all over the place at random, clunks again. Nope, going to get a tow. 4th time was when the dealer walked it in it.

My current thought is it's gear related. A damanged tooth or something in there that catches at random. If the belt where to suddenly be stopped and then yanked free again maybe it would pull my rear tire out to the side. A problem with the belt should be constant or have a pattern to it. There was no pattern and it got increasingly worse. If it's not that maybe a motor mount. It did feel disconnected in that last little bit I was riding it.

I don't ride the bike hard, not babied sure, but I've never done anything stupid with it like burnouts, wheelies, super hard launches, that sort of thing. Bike was serviced at the dealer about 1500 miles ago. I treat it like I want to still have it in 50 years because I do.

I dunno. It sucks. Glad it's under warranty.

On the bright side the new Lucky Dave seat I put on yesterday is comfortable and got lots of love at the dealer, lol.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 02-07-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:10 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

sounds like the run in i had with a bad front tire. chunk of tire got ripped out on the highway and the bike went crazy. took me a while to figure it out

Last edited by cvaria; 02-07-2018 at 06:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CaptainAwesome (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 06:11 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,511 Posts

Rear pulley bolts backing out?

CaptainAwesome (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 06:15 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Rear pulley bolts backing out?
Checked those too, seen a lot of them lately on this forum, lol.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:03 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry to hear this, but glad you weren’t at highway speeds when it happened. Hopefully nothing major and you be back on the road soon.

CaptainAwesome (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:06 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Following...have the same bike...hope dealer gets 'er figured out.

Ride-on!

Old 02-07-2018, 08:14 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,942 Likes on 7,284 Posts

You reference it being UNSTABLE.

Just about has to be a bearing or tire.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:20 PM
klap
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 122 Posts

trade it on a Goldwing..

Old 02-07-2018, 08:24 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,546 Likes on 6,276 Posts

I had a front tire go flat. You couldn't tell by looking at it or kicking it. Did you check your pressures?

Old 02-07-2018, 09:03 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master

Thanks, glad nothing but having to take it in came about.

Checked the tire pressure by hand, didn't have a gauge. Haven ridden on two bikes with flat tires they road like it was on Jello, but it was constant and manageable. This was like having a rope attached to the forks and back and having them randomly reach the end of their length and jerk the bike before they broke.

It was sharp, not soft. And random. Not sure if the motor mounts going bad could cause this, again it was random not constant. More like a horse less like a machine.
Not sure how the bearing are built, maybe one started to go bad and a piece of it was catching at random.
Find out tomorrow I guess.

Already talked to Honda, they won't let me trade it in lol

Quick Reply: Waiting on a tow