General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saturday's ride went bad.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:01 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Saturday's ride went bad.

Went for what was to be a dinner ride with my wife on Saturday but it turned bad. Some 14 year old on his peddle bike just came out of no where (and was first just missed by a car who locked up to avoid him)...then he just kept on crossing the road after that right in front of me. I t-boned his bike but he jumped off before impact thank goodness or he would not be here today for sure. Thing was his bike got caugth in my front fender and down we went. We slid 30' or so with his bike in my fender. We both had leather jackets and helmets on with jeans and heavy boots or things would have been worst. Bottom line I got very sore ribs, swollen foot,and a broken thumb...wife had surgery on broken wrist and had it wired together. We slid on right side. I have not even seen my bike yet to see how bad it is. Hope there is no **** with the insurance because the kid would not have any insurance for sure. I want my baby put back the way she was...and i mean just like it was. Any advice in that area...how to handle insurance and what to watch for so they give me what I want. It is unreal how sore we are from a slide at 50 km's. Sure won't get riding for awhile though. I have to say the Medics and the RCMP did a great job with detail and such. We are in Canada and I have insurance through Johnson's...any other Canadians on here with any experience with Johnson's insurance? Of course everyone is now telling us we should give up biking and such because it's to dangerous

Old 06-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Dinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saturday ride went bad

I hope you got all of this kid's information. Have your insurance contact the kid's parents as they are responsible FOR EVERYTHING! That's what homeowner's insurance is for!

Speedy recovery for you and your wife. Don't worry about the bike, let your insurance co. handle your bike's recovery.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They should be tellling the kid on the bicycle to give up riding because it's dangerous....

Don't know what it's like up there, but down here bicyclist routinely run stop signs and stop lights -- I almost naild one today who looked straight at me and blew through a stop sign.

Anyway, as Dinger said, the kids folks are on the line for the damage (at least would be in the US.) I carry insurance the covers cases where you get in a tangle with uninsured or underinsured individuals. You might see if you've got that on your policy as well. Also see if it will pay to rent a bike while yours is in the shop. Chances are it'll take a while.

Hope you both heal fast. Be careful when you go back out -- there's often a little post-traumatic repercussion to something like that.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:56 PM
fxst00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought all y'all had government sponsored insurance?

In Canada is the kid or his parents responsible for the accident?

Jeff

Old 06-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Weezie30
Tourer

Thank goodness you guys are ok for the most part! Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Catching a Breeze
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident campdreamer47. I'm just glad to hear it wasn'tany worse than it could have beenfor each of you.

I hope you and your wife both heal quickly and the insurance companymakes it right with you on your bike.

Best Wishes.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Dinger

I hope you got all of this kid's information. Have your insurance contact the kid's parents as they are responsible FOR EVERYTHING! That's what homeowner's insurance is for!

yep.... don't know how it works up north though.

Glad you, the wife, AND the kid, all survived.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:37 PM
NiteRider
Cruiser

Pretty much everyone has said it best, all I can do is wish you both a speedy recovery and I sure hope this doesn't turn your wife off to Riding. After you both are up to it, get her back on the Bike as soon as possible.

GOD Speed Camp

Old 06-18-2007, 08:49 PM
thelawdoc
Tourer

Like the others, I do not know anything about Canadian law. Hopefully, the parents have the liability and hopefully they are worth something. Be sure to run a credit check on them iffinding liability. If not, the hell with it all so long as you have your lives. As for your persons, here are some ideas that have worked wonders for me and people I know and just might help you too: [I understand this happened just two days ago?]

You guys are probably pretty sore. Until you get back on your wheels, you should have time for the following [and always let the docs know what you are doing, especially re your wife's wrist]:

1. Get over to the supermarket and buy as many containers of Epsom Salt as they have on the shelf. The stuff is cheap,abt2 usd for a half gallon size container. Each of you will use one half or even more of such container in a bathtub of water no warmer than your body temp. Every three days or so, 40 minutes per, for several weeks. Since you guys are married, take a quick shower first, then no need to dump the water when one is done. Add nothing else to the water. Lie back as best you can. You want your body to absorb the compound. To fight boredom, have a radio or something. Pat dry your body -no rubbing. If your wife wants, she can apply skin moisturizer an hour or more later [if her doctor approved the bath, etc.] But try to do without moisturizing.

2. On those days between the baths, you take very hot showers or baths. As hot as you can stand it, then a tad hotter. Solid 10 minutes. If your skin is not red when you come out, then you did it wrong. Get back in there. Then wrap up in good terry robe and lay down for twenty minutes.

3. Get on over to a 'health' shop and buy Aloe Juice. It comes in gallon containers. Cost abt usd 18. If you are new to Aloe juice, you will begin with 2oz, twice daily, for 7 days, then 3oz twice daily for 7 days, then6 oz every evening, for a minimum of 6 months. You can add some fresh lemon juice to it if you so hate the taste. Likewise, some sugar if you must. If you are not new to Aloe, then you already know what to do and what works for you. [pure Aloe has a side effect as a laxitive, so you may find yourself using the toilet more often in the first couple weeks. Don't fret -it is actually a good side effect and the need for the toilet will not be one of urgency.

4. At the same health shop, you pick up a couple large containers of raw honey. Emphasis on the 'raw'. Not 'pure'. Not merely 'organic'. RAW. Direct from the hive. It will say on the container 'raw'. If it does not say 'raw' then it matters not what else it might say instead. It has the appearance and texture/consistency of peanut butter. You willingest one heaping tablespoon twice daily, either right out of the container, or stirred into tea that has cooled somewhat. Do not put into hot tea. No added sugar. No added lemon. Nonothing. Let the tea cool down to just warm.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Remember to tell your doctor first if you want to try the above.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

From one Canuck to another; Glad you and your wife are okay (and the stupid kid) or at least as well as can be expected.

Each province is different, but I'm sure you will find that your insurance will cover everything, with little hope of recouping anything from the kids family.

Quick Reply: Saturday's ride went bad.