General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saturday's ride went bad.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Saturday ride went bad

Here's hoping for a quick recovery for the two of you.

The only thing I can add is that ANY insurance company will try to initially low ball you with their first offer. They are in business to make money not dish it out.

Know exactly what it will cost to repair or replace your bike to the exact condition it was in moments before the crash and make sure you get every bit of that money back at the the very least.

I've been there and done that. On my totalled '05 RK Classic there was an over $5000 difference from initial to final offers.

Stick to your guns. You had 0 liability in this accident. The insurance company needs to make things right and that would be to return your ride to as good if not better shape than it was before the kid decided to go knucklehead in your path.

Primo

P.S. Wrist injuries are most usually caused from one trying to break their fall with an outstretched hand. The road or ground always wins. Once you two are both totally healed spend sometime practicing falling off a chair on to a soft grassy surface like in your backyard so others won't think you're crazy. Once you start to tip your chair over tuck in your hands, arms, knees,legs and head and practice tuck and roll maneuvers. Do it enough times and it becomes second nature. Should you find yourself going over again the length of your body will be able to absorb the impact alot better than an extremity or two. I know. After a guy decided to cut me offI was able to walk away after sliding off the back of my bike at 68 mph on the freeway and sliding/rolling in a tuck and roll position for about 40 feet. No fun but nothing broken either. Sounds weird but it works.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:19 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bicycles should be illegal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:19 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will my cast is off my thumb now but I still would not be able to grip the bars to ride yet even if my bike was ready. My bike is not back together yet they are waiting for the front fender and a few more parts. Wife gets her cast of her arm on August 1st...so we can't wait to see how that goes. She still as the wire in there. Dr told me that my thumb could bother me for up to a year and will be tender for a least another month. It sure is hard to watch all those bikes go by when we are out and about. I can not wait to see how nervous we will be the first time we get back in the saddle. By the way I am putting on the Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs for my stage one. I also found out that the kid that came out in front of the car and me that I hit has vision problems...a truned in eye that he was born with. That explains his totally not seeing me or the car from an angle I guess. Hope everyone is having a good riding season and ride safe. That is one nice looking ride you have there drrandll1 and yes I thing bicycle's should have stricker rules anyway...it seems you can ride a bike anywhere with no regard for road rules[:@].

Old 07-28-2007, 12:51 AM
mtdave2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really sucks to hear about that mess. ugh.. time will get things back to normal though.

i once had a kid on a 10 speed run a stop sign on my left, and slam into the side of my truck. kid flew in the air and broke the hell out of his leg. i was 16 at the time. cops can, didnt give me a ticket, said i didnt do anything wrong.

the kids parents suemy insurance, and they paid! could not beleive it. but at 16 i didnt know how to fight, there is no way id let it happen now.

hope all is well for you soon!

Old 07-28-2007, 05:53 AM
volkdeluxe
Road Captain

Vision problems and he is riding a bike by a road!! AllI can say is parents....

Old 07-28-2007, 08:19 AM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer

Glad your accident was not more serious. Glad you both are recovering.
I'm also glad the kid bailed.
If the kid would of had cards in his spokes maybe you could've heard him comming!
Loud cards save lives!

Old 07-28-2007, 08:51 AM
lawhd
Advanced

ORIGINAL: thelawdoc

Like the others, I do not know anything about Canadian law. Hopefully, the parents have the liability and hopefully they are worth something. Be sure to run a credit check on them iffinding liability. If not, the hell with it all so long as you have your lives. As for your persons, here are some ideas that have worked wonders for me and people I know and just might help you too: [I understand this happened just two days ago?]

You guys are probably pretty sore. Until you get back on your wheels, you should have time for the following [and always let the docs know what you are doing, especially re your wife's wrist]:

1. Get over to the supermarket and buy as many containers of Epsom Salt as they have on the shelf. The stuff is cheap,abt2 usd for a half gallon size container. Each of you will use one half or even more of such container in a bathtub of water no warmer than your body temp. Every three days or so, 40 minutes per, for several weeks. Since you guys are married, take a quick shower first, then no need to dump the water when one is done. Add nothing else to the water. Lie back as best you can. You want your body to absorb the compound. To fight boredom, have a radio or something. Pat dry your body -no rubbing. If your wife wants, she can apply skin moisturizer an hour or more later [if her doctor approved the bath, etc.] But try to do without moisturizing.

2. On those days between the baths, you take very hot showers or baths. As hot as you can stand it, then a tad hotter. Solid 10 minutes. If your skin is not red when you come out, then you did it wrong. Get back in there. Then wrap up in good terry robe and lay down for twenty minutes.

3. Get on over to a 'health' shop and buy Aloe Juice. It comes in gallon containers. Cost abt usd 18. If you are new to Aloe juice, you will begin with 2oz, twice daily, for 7 days, then 3oz twice daily for 7 days, then6 oz every evening, for a minimum of 6 months. You can add some fresh lemon juice to it if you so hate the taste. Likewise, some sugar if you must. If you are not new to Aloe, then you already know what to do and what works for you. [pure Aloe has a side effect as a laxitive, so you may find yourself using the toilet more often in the first couple weeks. Don't fret -it is actually a good side effect and the need for the toilet will not be one of urgency.

4. At the same health shop, you pick up a couple large containers of raw honey. Emphasis on the 'raw'. Not 'pure'. Not merely 'organic'. RAW. Direct from the hive. It will say on the container 'raw'. If it does not say 'raw' then it matters not what else it might say instead. It has the appearance and texture/consistency of peanut butter. You willingest one heaping tablespoon twice daily, either right out of the container, or stirred into tea that has cooled somewhat. Do not put into hot tea. No added sugar. No added lemon. Nonothing. Let the tea cool down to just warm.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Remember to tell your doctor first if you want to try the above.

Then maybe you should have acupuncture, or a tea-reading...better yet, see a Phrenologist and have the bumps on your head read...

Seriously, I hope by now (10 days later) you and your wife are starting to feel a little better.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:56 AM
narosar
Tourer
Default RE: Saturday's ride went bad.

jesus christ, crap like this makes my blood boil. Glad you and yours made it, could have been worse.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:25 PM
thelawdoc
Tourer

Worried about doctors losing business? The average grandmother will help a guy recuperate from a fall from a bike a hell of a lot better, and faster, than the HMO pill pushers.