General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential new rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Belelith
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential new rider

Hi everyone, Im very intrested in learning how to ride and getting my own bike after returning from germany this past summer, I ended up riding a few different bikes and a racing moped there. Im 19 going on 20 this month and have a decent job working for a paper company as a manager. I not very sure what bike I would like or would suit me best but I do know I want a harley.

My dad has a friend who is trying to sell his old harley after buying a 2004 super glide recently. Not positive on the exact model all I know is its a 1980 super glide 1200cc bore out to a 1340cc, just shy of 4000 miles total on the engine. He's asking for $7,500 for it, nothing special done to it all basicly the orginal bike. Im wondering is this a good deal or not and why?

How are the new bikes with the fuel injections as well? My dad was telling me at one point a few years ago when something goes wrong with it all the shop would do was start replacing one part at a time till they figured out what was wrong with it. Would it be better off for me to just go ahead and buy a new harley from a dealer?

Any help on this matter would be very welcomed and thank you in advance

Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior
Default RE: Potential new rider

1980 was still an AMF Shovelhead engine, AMF Harleys were considered inferior, hey leaked a lot, and were less reliable, Anything post 1984 woul have the EVO engine, that engine retty much saved HArley due to its reliability, & efficiency, How tall are you? That can also be a factor, my first HD was a 1995 Sportster 883, it was too small I only had it 3 yrs & put on less than 2K mi, I have 10K on my 05 Springer, $7500 seems like alot to me, but i havent seen the bike, & the big bore kit Is worth extra too, The fuel injection is good, but i still prefer carbuerated, I like having reserve, Its oldschool, Its great though, EFI is good & people that have it love it,

Old 06-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Belelith
1st Gear

Im not very tall at all maybe 5'7? I really like the new 07 1200cc sportster low execpt for the speed odometer on the handle bars... the dyna low rider also appeals to me but i found that one not as comfortable while on it compared to the sportster I suppose that will come with time though either way.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:53 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the older ones you will work on more than ride[&:]

Welcome , take a MSF basic rider course.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Belelith

Im not very tall at all maybe 5'7? I really like the new 07 1200cc sportster low execpt for the speed odometer on the handle bars... the dyna low rider also appeals to me but i found that one not as comfortable while on it compared to the sportster I suppose that will come with time though either way.
Do you have a budget? Speedos & handlebar can be changed not too expensive Make sure you take a MSF course though it wilteach you so much valuable info

Old 06-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Belelith
1st Gear

no I dont really have a budget I'm just not sure between thoes two bikes as well or a softtail theres so many options and they all look nice I was also told its easier to ride the bigger bikes once you get used to them compared to a smaller bikes.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup you got a good picktruck to haul it in and a lot of mech exp. to work on the bike it may be fun. If you like to ride more than wrench you should look at a newer Harley. And 7.5 k for that
bike does not sound like a good deal either {unless the bike is completely as new}.And then its debatable.

Also, if you are a new rider, I would think about a smaller bike to you get good at riding.
Not that you cant learn on a big bike, I just dont think you will ever be as good a rider if you dont learn on a small bike. JMO

ORIGINAL: KeithB

Some of the older ones you will work on more than ride[&:]

Welcome , take a MSF basic rider course.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:09 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

yeah there are tons of softails, One like a nightrain or a springer like mine are good, my bike is heavy though (750lbs dry) Baggers are good t ride for a long way, sreetglides are AWESOME if they had them when i got y bike id of got one of them probably because id like the room for touring, i make do w/ my springers its very comfortable

Old 06-18-2007, 07:10 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

Welcome to the forum! If you have the coin you might want to start with a new bike. Nothing wrong with the older models but if you have not done much wrenching the two year warranry is a nice thing to have. 5'7" is not that short! before you buy any bike I suggest, as others have already posted, that you take the MSF basic class, and then test drive several bikes. Make sure the bike you get fits you! Just because the sportster is lighter doesn't mean it will fit you and be easy to handle.

Most of all get your bike, practice, and then ride the $%^$ out ofit! Oh, and have fun.

FD

Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Belelith
1st Gear

Is there any real big differences in say a dyna lowrider compared to the sportster low? How about taking them on longer rides the just around the city and back roads?

Quick Reply: Potential new rider