General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much Engine Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 11:44 AM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,649 Likes on 763 Posts

Turkey baster ordered - love Amazon.

R,
Sanjuro

Old 01-30-2018, 02:45 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,762 Likes on 2,530 Posts

I'm going to get real basic here. If you got the owners manual when you bought the bike, more than likely you did and tossed it somewhere. The owners manual will specify how oil to put in after a filter and oil change. The owner's manual for my '02, '05 and '13 are pretty specific. I'm sure yours is too.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:49 PM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I'm going to get real basic here. If you got the owners manual when you bought the bike, more than likely you did and tossed it somewhere. The owners manual will specify how oil to put in after a filter and oil change. The owner's manual for my '02, '05 and '13 are pretty specific. I'm sure yours is too.

Yes, I have the manual. I also have the factory service manual. As my prior post stated, the manual says to put 3 quarts. How's that for real basic?

R,
Sanjuro

Old 01-30-2018, 03:01 PM
rhobson
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My service manual says to use 2.5 quarts of oil for a wet capacity refill, and 3.0 quarts for a dry capacity refill.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:08 PM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rhobson
My service manual says to use 2.5 quarts of oil for a wet capacity refill, and 3.0 quarts for a dry capacity refill.

Dang. Looks like I'll need to pull out about 0.5 quarts.

R,
Sanjuro

Old 01-30-2018, 06:52 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Make sure you prime the filter before installing it, and take that quantity of oil into account. Don't fill it up to the full mark or you'll get carry-over into the air cleaner after running at high speed or RPMs. Halfway between full and add is perfect.

The following users liked this post:
Sanjuro (01-31-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 07:58 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,846 Posts

I have owned a number of Softails since '87 and it's important to always have the engine warm before either checking the oil or draining it before servicing (oil change) the engine.

I have only experienced the "sumping" issue once and that was because I (all my fault) had serviced my wife's '08 Heritage in the fall and when I got the bike out in the spring I checked the oil level before starting it and made the mistake of adding some oil to bring the oil level up to the "FULL" mark before starting the bike.
I actually rode the bike to the dealership (about 10 miles) for new tires, without incident, but on the way home (with my wife following me) I decided to blow some carbon out of her bike and in the process I also blew the dipstick loose and created an oily mess on both the rear of her bike and the front of her car!

After draining the oil tank, I replace the drain plug and them remove the filter (funnel recommended) and allow the remaining oil to drain for several minutes.
I then use a few drops of oil to lubricate the oil filter gasket and the install the new filter.
I hand tighten the filter and then use a filter wrench to "snug" the filter (1/4 to 1/2 turn).
I then add TWO quarts of engine oil and replace the dipstick.
I start the bike and watch the oil warning light to make sure that it goes OFF.
I then allow the bike to idle and look for any leaks around the drain plug.
After that I add enough oil to bring the oil level to the "FULL" mark on the dipstick.

On trips, I check my oil level at the ends of the ride and if necessary I add just enough oil to maintain this level (or slightly below).

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 01-30-2018 at 08:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sanjuro (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 08:45 AM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Great advice from most everyone here. Thank you.

You know, I checked my manual, and service manual again to see if it said something about using 2.5 quarts for a "wet" refill, but could not find it. I did find that it did say something about a "wet" refill for the primary... Thought I had missed something.

R,
Sanjuro

Old 01-31-2018, 09:00 AM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

[QUOTE=Scudda;17043388]These bikes are dry sump systems..meaning they don't store oil in the engine like most cars do. That being said when you drain the oil you will never get out all of the oil in the entire system...[QUOTE]

You could if you really wanted.

https://roguechopper.com/products/tw...-scavenger-kit

No waste and no old nasty Oil left to mix with the new stuff

Old 01-31-2018, 12:02 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
3 quarts is probably too much. fill with 2 quarts the add as needed. all the oil does not leave the bike when you drain.
I do the same. The manual say it different but 2 qts is enough to do an oil change

Quick Reply: Too much Engine Oil?