Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 10:14 AM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 585 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Butler
It’s ridiculous for Harley to charge $175 for a battery that could crap out in 2 years or less. They should really work toward making Harley a brand that doesn’t cost an owner hundreds of dollars a year.
Whatcha think HD stands for? Hundred Dollars. When buying stuff its hard to get out of the dealer for less.

The following users liked this post:
Rex Butler (08-26-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 10:29 AM
wizardfitznq
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
Found this thread when searching for info on the battery warranty. I 'm coming up on 2 years (bought in september of '17) and my battery is having trouble starting the bike. When I hit the button, everything goes out for a few seconds then it cranks slowly and starts. Thinking of taking it in since its still under warranty, would they do a full replacement or pro rated?

Also, I've kept this bike on a battery tender pretty religously but wondering if I shouldn't? My '06 FLHRSi was never on a tender and the first battery lasted 5 years or so. I'm thinking I might start putting this bike on a tender once a week until it goes green, or maybe once a month.
I think the newer batteries stink. I had an 01 heritage I'd ride to work in Indiana winters. The bike would sit for 11 hrs in below 20 temps. Started right up. My last bike ,16 limited had trouble starting after sitting in 40 deg days

Old 08-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,909 Likes on 4,133 Posts

It’s ridiculous for Harley to charge $175 for a battery that could crap out in 2 years or less. They should really work toward making Harley a brand that doesn’t cost an owner hundreds of dollars a year.
Rex, I'm guessing you're new to this game.

First of all, batteries are a maintenance item. If you don't take care of them they will die. That could be at 6 months, 2 years or 8 years. Because it is a name brand battery doesn't mean it will last longer.

Secondly, everyone wants to blame it on Harley. Harley is a brand name. Brand name items will cost more. If you think this is unique to Harley then go price batteries at a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, John Deere, Kubota, etc dealer. If you don't want to pay the premium for the name then go buy Jocko Putz's battery and see how long it lasts. It really is that simple.

SPRINGER (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 10:39 AM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,136 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisj49
You are the first I have seen to post the reality that battery tenders don't always save the battery. There is no evidence to support the need for battery tenders for bikes that are ridden. "I have one and my battery didn't die" is not definitive. "I don't have one and my battery died" is not definitive. Notice the makers of the tender don't have a real study done to show that they increase the average life of the battery.

I have a tender. If I haven't ridden for a month or so, I will hook it up so it goes green. I used the "always connected" method and had 2 batteries go bad in less than 2 years. It means nothing other than the battery wasn't a good battery.
Yea I dont buy the 'it always has to be on a tender' argument. I have one battery tender jr & I move it around on my various toys every few weeks. I'll attach it to my Ultra Classic quite a bit because of the security system drawing power. My quad batteries seem to last a long time even here in AZ & that's only topping off the batteries every month or so.

nibroc (08-31-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 02:15 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

It's been my experience that if a person rides the damn bike, like it was intended to be instead of just letting it sit around, the battery will last longer than 2 yeas.

Last edited by SPRINGER; 08-25-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Rex Butler
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not new. Most of my frustration is with the service center in my area. I get that battery life is about maintenance and riding. I ride at least 3 days a week for 8 months a year, sometimes more. Iowa winters make 4 of those months difficult to do.

Regardless of whether it's brand-related or not, it's just a shame for any product to require hundreds of dollars a year to maintain. I spend a lot less on my cars' maintenance. Don't get me wrong, I love my Road King. But when I bought it I also bought the right to complain about it.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:50 AM
Rex Butler
Stage IV

Agreed. It really should. Riding it hasn't been an issue for me.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:14 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,956 Likes on 4,151 Posts

Not new. Most of my frustration is with the service center in my area. I get that battery life is about maintenance and riding. I ride at least 3 days a week for 8 months a year, sometimes more. Iowa winters make 4 of those months difficult to do.

Regardless of whether it's brand-related or not, it's just a shame for any product to require hundreds of dollars a year to maintain. I spend a lot less on my cars' maintenance. Don't get me wrong, I love my Road King. But when I bought it I also bought the right to complain about it.
Actually, they don't. Heat is the enemy of batteries. Probably not a bad idea to keep a maintenance charger on it those 4 months it is down.

Most people make a big deal out of the alarm, ECM, speedometer and other draws on battery but they are next to nothing. Batteries just loose a little sitting. I leave two cars, bike and rider tractor sitting 6 months. I do nothing to them. Bike and tractor since battery us small are on a maintenance charger. All is fine when I get back in spring.

Theses small glass mat gel batteries do not last as long as a car. I just get Walmart's dry gel since they have one for my Softail. Last about 4 years. 1/2 what a Harley battery is.
Their car battery is second to none. Had them go 6-7 years.

Rex Butler (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 10:24 AM
Rex Butler
Stage IV

Thanks for the insight and tips, RIPSAW. I do put the battery on a Schumacher 1.5 Amp Trickle Charger Battery Maintainer over the winter. Maybe I was just unlucky on this one.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:43 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,956 Likes on 4,151 Posts

Not. Sure how good your charger is. I know in my battery book, it list three maintenance charger's . None that big. Know depending on how good it is in cutting down. I have two, a Harley and a Bell. Both are below 1 volt.

I have had one battery fail in the three year warranty in my cars. My away student. Since I was driving 100 miles to check it out, i just warranted it as a free exchange. Bike battery is only a year I think. May even be less then that. Less then $120. So no matter.

Quick Reply: Battery warranty