Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 07:47 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Batteries covered under the new vehicle warranty are not prorated, either are the batteries (from HD) that are bought over the counter as a replacement. Keep in mind that the battery that is replaced under the vehicle warranty is only covered for the remainder of the vehicle warranty. In other words, if you are on month 22 on your new vehicle warranty, the replacement battery doesn't extend past the vehicle warranty so the replacement only has a two month warranty. I've had batteries last 7 years hooked up to a tender and I've also had batteries die after 3 years also hooked up to a tender. Just the luck of the draw I guess.

Last edited by monkeyboy22; 08-01-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: clarification
The following users liked this post:
cbrenthus (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:57 AM
chrisj49
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
Found this thread when searching for info on the battery warranty. I 'm coming up on 2 years (bought in september of '17) and my battery is having trouble starting the bike. When I hit the button, everything goes out for a few seconds then it cranks slowly and starts. Thinking of taking it in since its still under warranty, would they do a full replacement or pro rated?

Also, I've kept this bike on a battery tender pretty religously but wondering if I shouldn't? My '06 FLHRSi was never on a tender and the first battery lasted 5 years or so. I'm thinking I might start putting this bike on a tender once a week until it goes green, or maybe once a month.
You are the first I have seen to post the reality that battery tenders don't always save the battery. There is no evidence to support the need for battery tenders for bikes that are ridden. "I have one and my battery didn't die" is not definitive. "I don't have one and my battery died" is not definitive. Notice the makers of the tender don't have a real study done to show that they increase the average life of the battery.

I have a tender. If I haven't ridden for a month or so, I will hook it up so it goes green. I used the "always connected" method and had 2 batteries go bad in less than 2 years. It means nothing other than the battery wasn't a good battery.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:33 AM
on3wego
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

I've never used a tender and my battery has always been fine. I've never let my bike sit more than 6 weeks though without riding.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:22 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,350 Likes on 2,531 Posts

if you buy a battery new, it has a 1 year warranty. at least according to the moco.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:03 PM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

I bought a used Super Glide last February. Battery wouldn't hold a charge for long and wouldn't start the bike. The battery looked a lot newer than the bike but the salesman at the dealer (out of state) couldn't give me any information on it. I took the battery out and down to my local dealer. Parts man said the code on battery indicated it was less than a year old and under warranty. He had to charge it by HD standards and then load test it. He notified me the next day the battery was bad and to come pick up a new one. I didn't even have a receipt for the battery that was in the used bike. Needless to say I bought all my service needs from him before I left.

Over the counter battery has 12 months warranty.

The dealer mentioned is Bootlegger in Knoxville, Tn. Very nice helpful staff !!

Last edited by Cogswell; 08-01-2018 at 08:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cogswell:
monkeyboy22 (08-02-2018), ole_phart (08-25-2019)
Old 08-02-2018, 09:01 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Cogswell, good to hear that the dealer was able to hook you up with a replacement. Sounds like a good place to do business with.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:02 AM
Rex Butler
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisj49
You are the first I have seen to post the reality that battery tenders don't always save the battery. There is no evidence to support the need for battery tenders for bikes that are ridden. "I have one and my battery didn't die" is not definitive. "I don't have one and my battery died" is not definitive. Notice the makers of the tender don't have a real study done to show that they increase the average life of the battery.

I have a tender. If I haven't ridden for a month or so, I will hook it up so it goes green. I used the "always connected" method and had 2 batteries go bad in less than 2 years. It means nothing other than the battery wasn't a good battery.
It’s ridiculous for Harley to charge $175 for a battery that could crap out in 2 years or less. They should really work toward making Harley a brand that doesn’t cost an owner hundreds of dollars a year.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:32 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,633 Likes on 2,530 Posts

"They should really work toward making Harley a brand that doesn’t cost an owner hundreds of dollars a year."

Thanx for the laugh; I needed that!

The following 3 users liked this post by dickey:
nobodyknowsme (08-26-2019), Rex Butler (08-26-2019), SPRINGER (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 08:58 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

156 miles in 3 years? You have stabil in fuel but it is only good for 2 years. You better drain that original tank of gas.

The following 2 users liked this post by K Melancon:
Rex Butler (08-26-2019), SPRINGER (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 09:03 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,956 Likes on 4,151 Posts

Why do you need a battery with it sitting in a garage? Sound's like RIP's recumbent bike and treadmill... Clothes racks.

Quick Reply: Battery warranty