General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Heat Powder Coat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 02:32 PM
Ric Tibbetts
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default High Heat Powder Coat?

All, I'm at the planning stages of partially blacking out a 2016 SGS. It's already black, and taking some of the chrome off.
What I'm curious about is the exhaust. I'd like to black that out. Has anyone tried to powder coat the heat shields?

Old 01-26-2018, 03:04 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Ric Tibbetts
All, I'm at the planning stages of partially blacking out a 2016 SGS. It's already black, and taking some of the chrome off.
What I'm curious about is the exhaust. I'd like to black that out. Has anyone tried to powder coat the heat shields?
You can coat them so long as it's a flat or satin black. Gloss black won't take for some reason. I had my heat shields done in gloss black and it blistered up after the first ride.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:50 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,694 Likes on 1,470 Posts

Any good powder coater should be able to do ceracote. It's a ceramic coating. Only available in satin finish. Like was already said, powder coating will blister and/or turn white.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:52 PM
CWOFOR
Tourer
Received 182 Likes on 99 Posts

I did wrinkle black powder coat on mine ('16 RK) last year; I also wrapped the exhaust; after the 2nd/3rd ride it started to turn white and eventually semi-gloss in the area of the cat. Additionally, in the areas of the muffler where there is no insulation turned white. I'm having it done again this year with the exception being that the cat has been removed and the exhaust wrap is titanium. I'll let you know how it goes.
There is a " High Heat " powder coat, but it only comes in flat black and (according to my powder coater) is procedure difficult to put on.

Last edited by CWOFOR; 01-26-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:46 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

My powder coat guy is doing Ceracoat now, as mentioned above it will be a flat or satin black, but then he can put a gloss clear over the base coat. Only the Ceracoat brand will handle exhaust temps and allow you a gloss finish if you so desire. At least thats what I'm told. It does get expensive though, it could double the cost of most exhaust systems.

Last edited by 02603SEC; 01-26-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:17 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

When I blacked out my FLHX last year, I used VHT Wrinkle Black on the heat shields. Fifteen bux. Worked great. Only rated for 450°, but they don' get nearly as hot as the pipes.

Used standard VHT on the pipes, and House of Kolor high temp black on the mufflers. Would have used it on everything but I didn't have enough. I used Scotchbrite discs on a die grinder to give the chrome tooth.

A year and over 10K miles later, it all looks new. Might be an alternative for ya, OP, although I concede it doesn't answer your question.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:00 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Yeah - as others have said, use ceramic coating for the exhaust. Cerakote is probably the best known brand for this, but there are others.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:31 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,329 Likes on 7,922 Posts

Wood stove paint works just fine.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:22 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,744 Likes on 6,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
When I blacked out my FLHX last year, I used VHT Wrinkle Black on the heat shields. Fifteen bux. Worked great. Only rated for 450°, but they don' get nearly as hot as the pipes.

Used standard VHT on the pipes, and House of Kolor high temp black on the mufflers. Would have used it on everything but I didn't have enough. I used Scotchbrite discs on a die grinder to give the chrome tooth.

A year and over 10K miles later, it all looks new. Might be an alternative for ya, OP, although I concede it doesn't answer your question.
Auto parts retailers have VHT paint rated for thirteen hundred to two thousand degrees intermittently. It specifically mentions exhaust on the can.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vh...eproof-coating

Last edited by Prot; 01-27-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:02 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Auto parts retailers have VHT paint rated for thirteen hundred to two thousand degrees intermittently. It specifically mentions exhaust on the can.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vh...eproof-coating
Yep. The regular VHT is rated somewhere north of a thousand degrees. Fine for the pipes and muffs. So is the HoK High Heat stuff. The wrinkle was rated much less, so I took a risk, but it's worked out well.

Another alternative is Jet Hot, and it's been rated highly over the years, but I did read something negative about it in this forum a while back from a member.

Quick Reply: High Heat Powder Coat?