General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The smell of aged oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018 | 04:56 PM
old timer 1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EL in NH
I've cracked open the rocker boxes on all three of the Harleys I own.
Can't leave well enough alone dontcha know.

Can't find something else to do in the Northeast during January ? How about skiing or snowmobiling...

Old 01-22-2018 | 05:03 PM
EL in NH
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by old timer 1
Can't find something else to do in the Northeast during January ? How about skiing or snowmobiling...
Oh hell no..I don't bounce so good anymore. This spring will be my 44th riding season. Besides I finally have the under house garage just the way I want it..Tunes ,refrigerator , semi heated, and three harleys. Why would I ever leave !

Old 01-22-2018 | 05:08 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Even new oils have different odors. Even the same class of engine oil between 2 manufacturers.
Case in point-
Shell Rotella T15W-40, &
Texaco Ursa 15W-40.
Both oils are for heavy duty turbocharged diesel engines. One is "sweet" and the other "sour" smelling when new. Which one is better? I know but let's keep this thread to "oil odor."
Ride safe!

Old 01-22-2018 | 05:09 PM
EL in NH
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Head gasket leak?
No signs of it from looking at the head gaskets. Don Dorfman of HD street performance (going to do my heads) told me it would look like this. He has seen his share of lugged /low rpm engines I would imagine. Check out the plugs. 3500 miles!!..

Old 01-22-2018 | 10:19 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Yikes! Those plugs look terrible! Dunno if it's valve guide issues or rings, but oil is getting there, and it shouldn't be.

Wait a minute...

Are you using an "upper cylinder lubricant." Like STP or marvel mystery oil? These would leave deposits such as these. They'll also make deposits in the ring lands of pistons, causing rings to stick and oil use to increase...

Old 01-23-2018 | 02:24 AM
EL in NH
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Yikes! Those plugs look terrible! Dunno if it's valve guide issues or rings, but oil is getting there, and it shouldn't be.

Wait a minute...

Are you using an "upper cylinder lubricant." Like STP or marvel mystery oil? These would leave deposits such as these. They'll also make deposits in the ring lands of pistons, causing rings to stick and oil use to increase...
Yes it's an oil burner for sure..

I am not using any upper cylinder lube. It does that all on it's own.

In addition to the motor destroying cam chain tensioner pads, the 05 valve seals are notoriously bad. I had to add 2.5 quarts in 1500 miles. I feel like I am running a two stroke.

Old 01-23-2018 | 07:09 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

Could be from the oil sitting in the hot rocker boxes after shut down or it could be a burnt smell from excessive engine or cylinder head temperature.

Old 01-23-2018 | 07:35 AM
EL in NH
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Could be from the oil sitting in the hot rocker boxes after shut down or it could be a burnt smell from excessive engine or cylinder head temperature.
That ,and the aforementioned combustion products, pretty much sums it up. I believe this bike spent most of it's first 3500 miles trailored to events and ridden at parade speed.

Old 01-23-2018 | 07:55 AM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior

Rear differential oil from heavy trucks with half a million miles or more.... That stink takes some getting used to. New people at my work typically recoil when they enter my warehouse for the first time.

The following 2 users liked this post by J_MOSH:
EL in NH (01-23-2018), TwiZted Biker (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018 | 08:09 AM
EL in NH
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by J_MOSH
Rear differential oil from heavy trucks with half a million miles or more.... That stink takes some getting used to. New people at my work typically recoil when they enter my warehouse for the first time.
ha ha ha.. I can smell it right now ..once smelled you never forget..ha ha ha

Quick Reply: The smell of aged oil ?