General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this bike. Guide me plz

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:42 AM
Sonofabiker
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is this bike. Guide me plz

Long story short. The old man was a biker, the type who's first hog was a rat he built at the dump in his teens. (Old BSA i think) he had triumphs - HD-Indians the works! Regardless of my mechanical aptitude it was always "hand of the bike son" so my knowledge is limited. The ol boy kicked the bucket last year and now i have full access to his pride and joy. A 1938 El hardtail that he crashed back in the 70's. He took parts off a 60's bike and ended up with this pan/shovel. (Block stamp reads ☆19381381☆ ) this bike did run in its current state but the accident slowly killed the old man and for the past 8 years the bike sat in the shop getting the odd kick to keep her free. (No start just kik a couple times a month) so now i got free range to do what i please it is my intent to ride her hard. But im gonna need some advice. If a brother could have a look at my bike and confirm my assesment so i know what im dealing with. My take on what this bike is as follows: to me its a rat bike 1938 frame with side car mounts shaved off. Original springer knuckle tank were distroyed in a head on crash. Work to restore it to running condition was done by dad who is half genius and half crazy. What he did obviously worked in restoration but there are many things about the bike that are completely out of my wheel house.
first things first. Is the top end of this bike a pan, shovel, or a pan/shovel? ? What year Is the tank?
any advice is desperately need or give me a thread that might help me explore more about the top end of this engine. The tank needs some work. Looks like the inside coating is flaking off and need to fix the speedo and ignition. Ill add photos to my album today.
thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails What is this bike. Guide me plz-20150715_084203.jpg   What is this bike. Guide me plz-20150715_084239.jpg   What is this bike. Guide me plz-20150715_084143.jpg   What is this bike. Guide me plz-20150715_084135.jpg  
Old 01-20-2018, 12:04 PM
whocares
Road Warrior
Received 446 Likes on 221 Posts

That appears to be the early shovel with the pinhead lowerend.that the most desired shovel.what is the original vin located on the left case.there's a chance it's a pan block.

The following users liked this post:
Sonofabiker (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:19 PM
Sonofabiker
3rd Gear

(star stamp) 19381381 (star stamp) Is this the number your looking for? I googled this number many time but keep getting bikes that look like mine but not exactly. what does thro me off is the seat, mine is low low and most 38's are higher, maybe the seat is off the newer bike dad got for parts...who knows.
If you could guess the year of the heads, what would be your best guess? I can be 99.9% sure that the block is a 38'

Sorry ...My bad the vin is (star 38EL1381 star) finger faster than brain

is the star stamp mean anything?

In today's episode I am just about complete in putting the bikes pieces so that its all completely assembled before I strip her down and do a complete overhaul. I am addressing the hand banger and foot clutch, it looks like I got the parts to go with hand clutch foot shift. the later controls is what Im seriously considering as the hand shift does not look like it has the track that would bolt on the tank. I guess that the old 38 tank had the piece but got mangled in the hit.
Anyone know if there is a aftermarket piece that would fit that tank? (I'm still in the dark to the age or year of that tank too, any ideas are worth considering and apreciated

Attached Thumbnails What is this bike. Guide me plz-20150715_205047.jpg  

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-20-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:19 PM
whocares
Road Warrior

The vin numbers don't look like the hd ones I remember.was this a restamp?are these aftermarket cases.it has the newer style shovel oil pump.

Last edited by whocares; 01-20-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:57 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

That VIN does not look right. The 8's are wrong. The "L" is wrong, and the 3's are wrong. I am not sure what is up with the stars, but I have seen Harley cases with them before.

At first look the bike should be a 1938 EL Knucklehead, but there is a lot that is not correct. It may be because dad Frankenteined it together, but the motor is suspect. Too bad because a pre-war Harley could be worth a lot of money if it were brought back to original.

Do you have a title for the bike?

Old 01-20-2018, 02:24 PM
Sonofabiker
3rd Gear

Frankenstein looks like a Ken doll compared to the bits and pieces dad managed to make work.Still no doubt a solid bike.

BC registration (what we call title) as
year:1938
Make:Harley Dav
Vin: 30EL1381
Reg number too, but I'm not inclined to devolve that publicly.

And the weird stamp on the block is whats got me too, I have a line on a original springer and a few parts off a old knuckel that I can get from an old boy, but is it worth the effort?

Old 01-20-2018, 03:07 PM
whocares
Road Warrior

There should be #s on the bottom of the case's.see if you can access them.the side cam cover is certainly not early pan/knuck.they were ribbed.you definitely have a mutt there.lol.

The tank badges if I'm correct,are from around a 61/62 pan.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-20-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:40 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,694 Likes on 1,470 Posts

Originally Posted by whocares
The tank badges if I'm correct,are from around a 61/62 pan.
The tank badge is 59/60.

Tank badge history here:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/harle...o-pictures.htm

Sonofabiker (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 04:54 PM
qf4phlyer
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's cool your dad was able to piece together that ride. My dad was the same way, he had a 1936 that was crashed into, he broke his ankle, my mom broke her back and was in a body cast for 6 months. He cobled it back together with a bunch of other harleys. Your dad would be proud to see you put it back on the road, good luck!

Sonofabiker (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 05:54 PM
Sonofabiker
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by qf4phlyer
It's cool your dad was able to piece together that ride. My dad was the same way, he had a 1936 that was crashed into, he broke his ankle, my mom broke her back and was in a body cast for 6 months. He cobled it back together with a bunch of other harleys. Your dad would be proud to see you put it back on the road, good luck!
thanks man.
dad spent 4 yeats in VGH died twice and told he was gonna be a vegetable. Year 6 he was walking and year 7 he was determined to swing a leg over his bike again. Die hard tuff as nails. 28 years in pain that guy never quit. He never could get past the driveway on the ol girl but at least he got a bit of a ride on her.
thanks for everyone's knowledge here. I learned more today than i have in a year about the bike. Im off to my shop for a good long Saturday night! Boy is it hard to keep the language clean...lol
#Mutt ...... that's a new one for me. I like it better than Rat
piece

#mutt. Perfect!
wanted to say thanks for your input. Little stuff like cam cover and stuff really helps me out. I got a long way to go and really appreciate your input
cheers A b e

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-20-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: What is this bike. Guide me plz