General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Tips for Riding Your Harley to Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 11:52 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

Spent a lot of time in Mexico in my younger days living in San Diego. It's been a long time since I have crossed the border, and have no plans to do so in the future.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:56 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO

What you see on TV is not even close to the truth.
Like? Really good or really bad?

Old 01-18-2018, 01:34 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 825 Likes on 392 Posts

I used to visit quite a bit, but quit about 10 years ago. Mexico just became... how can I phrase it... mean, serious, not worth it, ok $h!thole. You can spot a gringo from a mile away no matter how much you try to camouflage - you are a target. Really, young man no one can tell you not to go and you won't listen anyway, so go and experience it and odds are nothing will happen. Young man with family you are a fool to try it - why risk your loved one? On a motorcycle!?!?! That's f'in luncacy.

Other than the Yucatan ruins and Teotihuacán, I see no reason to go ever again. The rest of it is just a pile of rocks with $h!t icing on top.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Like? Really good or really bad?

Near the boarder is bad, deep in is not as bad, knowing where you are and who runs the area is critical.

If you look like you have something that someone else wants, you have a problem.

If you think the police are going to help you, you have a problem.

Taking a bike in, I wouldn't, in a large group like a rally or something, you would be fine, one to five riders touring, be careful.

Do Not take a weapon, if you get caught with it, you will be staying for a very long time.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:25 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Check your insurance you may not be covered. Ensure your will is up to date. Take someone else bike. Don't sound like a good idea to me.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:26 AM
31scout
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

I lived in Mexico (in the north in Mexicali) for 4 years. I worked for an American company that had a factory there. I also had a motorcycle with me. A couple of things.
Do NOT drive in Mexico without Mexican insurance. Any American insurance companies that I dealt with did NOT cover you in Mexico. You will be arrested if you are in an accident and don't have the proper insurance. I had insurance on the bike through a Mexican company.
Be very aware of where you park your bike. A friend of mine had his Ducati stolen off his patio. I parked my bike in the living room of my apartment. Some hotels have security in the parking lot, use one of those.
Drivers in Mexico aren't well known for paying attention to stop signs and lights, be very aware. I rode every day, and was always paying close attention to traffic around me. I enjoyed my time there even though I was very cautious. I didn't have any problems.
Enjoy the tacos, they're better than any we can get in the U.S.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:02 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by 31scout
I don't know about all that. Maybe in Penn. The best Mexican taco makers have already made their way into Texas. Not trying to be disagreeable. Just sayin. I love me some tacos!

Old 01-19-2018, 09:09 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
I don't know about all that. Maybe in Penn. The best Mexican taco makers have already made their way into Texas. Not trying to be disagreeable. Just sayin. I love me some tacos!
I agree about Mexican tacos tasting better than here in the U.S. I think it is because they use lard in Mexico to make the tacos. They may not be healthier, but tastier? Yes!

Also, the meat is not as saturated with hormones, anti-bacterials or toxins that leach from the soil into the feed.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:11 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,003 Likes on 12,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 31scout
I lived in Mexico (in the north in Mexicali) for 4 years. I worked for an American company that had a factory there. I also had a motorcycle with me. A couple of things.
Do NOT drive in Mexico without Mexican insurance. Any American insurance companies that I dealt with did NOT cover you in Mexico. You will be arrested if you are in an accident and don't have the proper insurance. I had insurance on the bike through a Mexican company.
Be very aware of where you park your bike. A friend of mine had his Ducati stolen off his patio. I parked my bike in the living room of my apartment. Some hotels have security in the parking lot, use one of those.
Drivers in Mexico aren't well known for paying attention to stop signs and lights, be very aware. I rode every day, and was always paying close attention to traffic around me. I enjoyed my time there even though I was very cautious. I didn't have any problems.

so it's a lot like living in Santa Ana, CA?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:13 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 6113_
so it's a lot like living in Santa Ana, CA?
The vast majority of California is being converted as we speak.

Quick Reply: 6 Tips for Riding Your Harley to Mexico