General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Tips for Riding Your Harley to Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 AM
Harley-Indian
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Max56 you beat me to it. Just come down to South Texas -also known as Northern Mexico.

The food is actually better in this side anyway.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:43 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I was hiking in Chiapas the day the orange guy blubbered the words “bad hombres”. Not one problem on my end. Been all over tourists spots and way off the beaten path in Mexico. Lucky? Maybe. I can guarantee I would not walk my blanco **** through most inner cities throughout our great country. That’s a fact.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:00 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

There are parts of Mexico that are worse than others, just like in the U.S, but in general, Mexico is a beautiful country and its people very friendly. I would suggest that if you want to ride a bike in Mexico, to rent one first and see if you like it. I will be going to Cancun in March and plan to rent a Harley for the day.

And please, if you go, don't take that "I am an American, superior to you and can do what I want" mentality. I often see the younger generation behave like they own the world in my travels. Locals tolerate it, but it gives the rest of us "Gringos" a bad reputation and can sometimes land you in jail. Cops in Mexico carry M-16's so they don't mess around!

If you are afraid for your safety, you will be better off staying at a popular tourist spot. Locals make their living off of tourism and keep the cartels and crooked cops in-check.

A few years ago, one of the cartels shot someone in Cancun and the Mexican Marines were immediately brought in to capture the shooters. I travel to Mexico and Europe a few times a year and have not had any issues in Mexico. Of course, I don't venture to the middle of the jungle or go out at night unless it is near my hotel. Common sense and proper judgement is your best friend.

Mexico is a beautiful place, specially their beaches and Heritage locations. Don't sell yourself short by missing out on their culture just because of what you hear in the media...it is FAKE NEWS!!!!

The following users liked this post:
TejasJeff (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:45 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I want to go to Mexico City to see the Aztec ruins. Still trying to get the wife to say yes.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:11 PM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Default aaaaa

aaaaaaa
Originally Posted by Labrador
There are parts of Mexico that are worse than others, just like in the U.S, but in general, Mexico is a beautiful country and its people very friendly. I would suggest that if you want to ride a bike in Mexico, to rent one first and see if you like it. I will be going to Cancun in March and plan to rent a Harley for the day.

And please, if you go, don't take that "I am an American, superior to you and can do what I want" mentality. I often see the younger generation behave like they own the world in my travels. Locals tolerate it, but it gives the rest of us "Gringos" a bad reputation and can sometimes land you in jail. Cops in Mexico carry M-16's so they don't mess around!

If you are afraid for your safety, you will be better off staying at a popular tourist spot. Locals make their living off of tourism and keep the cartels and crooked cops in-check.

A few years ago, one of the cartels shot someone in Cancun and the Mexican Marines were immediately brought in to capture the shooters. I travel to Mexico and Europe a few times a year and have not had any issues in Mexico. Of course, I don't venture to the middle of the jungle or go out at night unless it is near my hotel. Common sense and proper judgement is your best friend.

Mexico is a beautiful place, specially their beaches and Heritage locations. Don't sell yourself short by missing out on their culture just because of what you hear in the media...it is FAKE NEWS!!!!
2nd time to try and post this - "message too short". Your entire second paragraph is spot on. Check out southern Mexico if you haven't already done so. Old world feel and way off the beatn path.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:21 PM
fsae0607
Road Master
Received 261 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
I want to go to Mexico City to see the Aztec ruins. Still trying to get the wife to say yes.
If you get a chance, go to Cancun and check out Chichen Itza, Tulum and Xcaret. The archaeological sites there are amazing!

I would no way in hell cross the border on my scoot. Not only is the border line long (forget lane splitting lol) but in the streets, it's every man for himself.

I went to TJ a few years ago with my wife and MIL and I drove. You basically make your own lane and drive offensively. On my bike I'd get slaughtered.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,023 Likes on 6,675 Posts

Originally Posted by max56
I don't need to go to Mexico. I live in California. Mexico has come to me.
Same in No. IL.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:03 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,968 Likes on 4,160 Posts

Labrador, get back in March and post how it goes. I am in Playa Carmen but move on up to Cancun middle of February finish out the winter there. I live up on the hill right above the Harley shop there at Kukacaun (sorry about spelling) Plaza. He is always wanting me to rent. Few years ago, I posted some pictures on here of a Sporty he had. He told me he was not even charging me for insurance as long as I brought it back in one piece. Ha.......after loosing my paperboy bike down here few weeks ago, I know I am glad I did not take him up on it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-17-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador

I agree to this...

To the Question: Tips, None I wouldn't ride: Motorcycle, Car, RV Etc across and or into Mexico. Love my resort time there! April's trip is looming.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:51 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneRiderFLH
Can’t believe the word ‘shithole’ hasn’t been used yet

Only because Mexico would have to improve quite a bit to be in the "shithole" class.

Quick Reply: 6 Tips for Riding Your Harley to Mexico