General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer Dodger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:38 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Deer are everywhere around here, too. So far I've not had any close calls on the Limited- I've seen a few on the sides of the road, but I've had more close calls in my cars. I did have a close call with a bunch of turkeys who decided to amass in the right lane of the highway I was riding- Blind curve and up ahead in the right lane were several dozen. Luckily I was in the left lane, and I didn't clip any of them when I went by.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 18,279 Likes on 10,094 Posts

I ran over a squirrel once on the Sportster, little bugger ran right under the front tire. I ride in deer , I have seen them, I have been lucky that they havent ran out in front of me. I attribute that to the sound a HD makes, they hear ya coming and they start moving.

Last edited by Super Glidester; 01-17-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:40 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
I attribute that to the sound a HD makes, they hear ya coming and they start moving.
Don't count on it. I have some pretty loud pipes and they ran right out in front of me. Post #5.

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 01-17-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 PM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 248 Likes on 155 Posts

Not to get off track, but why has this dangerous problem exploded to this point ? Back in the '70s, I hunted deer in Ohio and got a deer every year with bow or muzzleloader. The state had a whitetail population of 100,000 back then. That was plenty for hunters and even acceptable to farmers. Now I've been told the herd is in excess of 800,000, yet bag limits have not changed. Why ? Greedy game departments wanting more deer to advertise the "Big Deer and Big Herd" to draw in out of state hunters who pay more for their permits than residents. This is outrageous at the expence of human casualties in cages or on bikes. How much of our insurance premium is directly related to deer caused collisions. Let alone human suffering after a serious accident. These dang deer really effect our lifestyle as evidenced by these posts. I used to enjoy riding after dark when it cooled off. Now, not one of my buddies will ride past dusk. We all know someone who has hit a deer and been injured. I lived in Marietta, Ohio for 6 years in the 2000's and had close calls even in the city in broad day light. Who has to get killed to bring this problem to the limelight ? There are estimates that there are as many as 10 times the deer that were here when nature was balanced. This needs serious government and insurance company involvement or in 5 more years we won't be able to ride down our driveways without running into one. I have counted 27 in my backyard at one time and I live 3 miles from the town square in a small town south of Cleveland. Sorry to rant, but wife hit another one.

The following users liked this post:
hardheaded (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 07:41 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt07
Not to get off track, but why has this dangerous problem exploded to this point ? Back in the '70s, I hunted deer in Ohio and got a deer every year with bow or muzzleloader. The state had a whitetail population of 100,000 back then. That was plenty for hunters and even acceptable to farmers. Now I've been told the herd is in excess of 800,000, yet bag limits have not changed. Why ? Greedy game departments wanting more deer to advertise the "Big Deer and Big Herd" to draw in out of state hunters who pay more for their permits than residents. This is outrageous at the expence of human casualties in cages or on bikes. How much of our insurance premium is directly related to deer caused collisions. Let alone human suffering after a serious accident. These dang deer really effect our lifestyle as evidenced by these posts. I used to enjoy riding after dark when it cooled off. Now, not one of my buddies will ride past dusk. We all know someone who has hit a deer and been injured. I lived in Marietta, Ohio for 6 years in the 2000's and had close calls even in the city in broad day light. Who has to get killed to bring this problem to the limelight ? There are estimates that there are as many as 10 times the deer that were here when nature was balanced. This needs serious government and insurance company involvement or in 5 more years we won't be able to ride down our driveways without running into one. I have counted 27 in my backyard at one time and I live 3 miles from the town square in a small town south of Cleveland. Sorry to rant, but wife hit another one.
this is the bottom line of the problem right here. bad management of the deer.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:01 PM
cobalt07
Road Master

Bad management you are correct, but why do they feel we need more deer than the land can support. I have planted shrubs that were eaten in less than a week. When in Marietta, I use to get even with a .22 then make them disappear but it didn't make a dent in the population. We need poachers to be more active like they were 30 years ago.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:22 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

10 Does ran across the road today when I was walking my dog. It was like watching clowns run out of the Circus Car.We are not allowed to hunt them on my Lake, and they are not afraid of people.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:18 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

Deer management is a political hot potato in Ohio. We have 12 million residents in the state. The economy is agriculture-heavy. Lots of hunters, and lots of nonresident hunters who travel in from surrounding states. Our hunting license fees are some of the most reasonable to be found. But here's the basic crux of the issue:

Hunters want to see LOTS of deer when they hunt. They want to maximize their odds of success every year. Their organizations lobby for more deer statewide. They pay money to hunt deer.

Motorists generally want to hit NO deer, but are typically clueless about how the state manages the population.

The insurance industry wants far fewer deer for obvious reasons.

The ag industry and our farm bureau constantly lobby for fewer deer statewide.

So while deer cause monetary losses, they also generate big money to the state. If the state seriously knocks down the population (to appease motorists, farmers and the insurance industry) they suffer the wrath of hunters and ultimately show reduced revenue from license and tag sales for deer hunters. It's a catch-22. So the state manages deer in the interest of all Ohioans (supposedly) and we all bear some of the burden from that. Unfortunately, the burden for motorcyclists boils down to anxiety, reduced opportunities...and actual physical injury.

Interestingly, Ohio has no helmet or safety gear law for motorcyclists. You ride here at your own risk. The same type thinking applies to deer encounters while riding.

Finally, I'm both a hunter and a rider. I also own a farm. I have a vested interest in those activities, and am able to view deer (and their management) through different lenses. I come down on the side of Ohio currently having far too many deer. This puts me at odds with my hunting friends who look at me like I'm treasonous. I tell them they have ONE interest in deer which is to enjoy hunting them. I have several interests affected by deer, and none of them are better off as deer become more numerous. KILL THEM....legally of course.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:16 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,108 Likes on 4,348 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt07
There are estimates that there are as many as 10 times the deer that were here when nature was balanced. This needs serious government and insurance company involvement or in 5 more years we won't be able to ride down our driveways without running into one. I have counted 27 in my backyard at one time and I live 3 miles from the town square in a small town south of Cleveland. Sorry to rant, but wife hit another one.

I would be glad to come over and "manage" them for you.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:49 AM
cobalt07
Road Master

In Ohio you can shoot buck or doe. It's why many of my old hunting buddies left Pa. and just hunted in Ohio. AJSHOVEL, come on over, you can shoot them off my deck till you get tired.

Quick Reply: Deer Dodger?