General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer Dodger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorKG
Close call!! What camera are you using?
GoPro HERO 3+, which I guess is kinda dated these days, but does the job.

The following users liked this post:
MajorKG (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 05:46 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

i've hit birds and even had a squirrel run though my front wheel and made a crunching sound and kept right on running. the thing that got me was a deer run into my left hand grip at 50 mph and sent me into a sign post which promptly removed my left leg. after 50 years of riding it caught up with me. so i got a tri-glide. what are you gonna do ? i've almost hit many a deer threw the years. but i always kept riding. hell i've run a fish hook in my hand and i didn't stop fishing.

cop tried to tell me there was no deer. i could have reached out and patted the damn thing on the head. i didn't kill the deer ,but it sure went tumbling.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:53 PM
PCboiler
Road Captain
Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts

See them all the time here in N Ind... our town is so over populated that they have controlled hunts within the city limits.
I know some say they won’t ride after dark, but if you ride, you ride. I ride to work, and don’t always come straight home, so dawn and dusk dangers for me. My two options to get to my neighborhood both involve woods (canopy) and some alfalfa fields... thick as thieves through there.
Just be careful, run bright LED light and be ready to honk and slow...
Close call in Allegahnies of PA, fawn started out at us, went down next to bike ahead of me, trying to turn back to the woods... and I watched it scurrying to get a foothold on the pavement as I went by her. We knew we just barely dodged that bullet. I was inches from running over her legs.
It’s one of the risks we take when we ride... but we still ride.
Good luck brothers.

pc

Old 01-15-2018, 05:54 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hardheaded
...sent me into a sign post which promptly removed my left leg.
Oh man, so sorry to hear that. Dang.

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 01-15-2018 at 07:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hardheaded (01-17-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 07:11 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by squirrelsnest
I use these on my bike......THEY WORK!
I put those on my company truck years ago and after that I never hit a deer that wasn’t looking right at me.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

My old boss put the whistles on and continued to hit deer. People used to say he must've put them on backwards. If a deer will look at a large fast moving object projecting bright lights and producing loud noise and run right out in front of it, I don't think a whistle is gonna change that. IMO...

Old 01-15-2018, 08:01 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,813 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Driving out from under a viaduct saw a herd of 5-6 deer in front, first saw all their eyes then an oncoming vehicle backlit the bodies, whoa'd down real fast. Also had a big doe jump out of the side edge of forest right in front of me, 1 p.m., we got so close I heard the hooves on the pavement and her eyes were so frickin' big, front brake was howling in protest trying to stop. I was hit in the clutch handle by a turkey trying to cross in front, bent the handle, bruised the wrist. Kept the handle and a tail feather as a memoir.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:54 PM
wyoming55
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I hit a deer 8 years ago, was visiting my home state of Kentucky at the time. Wife and I had rode there from Wyoming, the plan was to visit our parents and friends a few days and then head on east and ride the Blue Ridge Parkway. We left our home town about 10:00 am and headed east, was riding through the LBL area in Western Ky just cruising along about 50, two lane road. I was on my Road King, wife was following on her Sportster. Going through an area with fairly steep banks on each side of the highway, lots of trees on both sides. I saw a deer jump from the bank on the south side of the road, I swerved right, the deer landed pretty much right in front of me, the swerve helped, since I wound up hitting the deer in the rear leg area, spun the deer around, and i managed to keep the bike up. It was mostly luck I think that I did, wife came by me since she didn't brake hard enough to slow down as much as I did when I hit the deer. She just barely missed me. The deer had fell down, he got up and headed north as hard as he could go. Bent my front fender, rubbing on tire, bent handlebars a little and bent the crash bar where he spun around the bike, put some marks scratches on the left bag, bruised my leg and foot a little. Had a little blood and quite a bit of deer hide caught in front fender, and hide stuck around clutch handle area.. Happened so quick I wasn't scared until after we got stopped. Got the fender bent back off the tire, and a fellow that stopped help me do that and we were able to tweak the handlebar back to almost stock location. We did go on and ride to the Smokies and went up the Blue Ridge. Still had a half decent trip other than the deer hit. It was foggy as hell and misting rain most of the way up the Parkway. Had planned on riding on up to Skyline Drive also but said the heck with it and headed back west at Roanoke. I have always kept an eye out for animals when riding, even more so since hitting the deer.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:32 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

the problem here in the state of missouri is i don't think the conservation dept. does a very good job of managing the deer population. i've hunted all my life and sometimes you wouldn't even see a deer for maybe three days. now we are chasing them out of the yard. way to many deer around now days. you really had to hunt hard to get one years ago and now there are everywhere.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:06 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
... If a deer will look at a large fast moving object projecting bright lights and producing loud noise and run right out in front of it...
Oh, like a human. They see a fast moving object projecting bright lights and producing loud noise and run right out in front of it.... with phone in hand.

That must be the endeering quality of a human.

Quick Reply: Deer Dodger?