General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer Dodger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:52 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by squirrelsnest
I use these on my bike......THEY WORK!
No, they don't. Had them on a car. Hit two deer after installing them.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

The best deer repellent is a valid deer tag and a gun when you are out and about.....

Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

I hit a deer (T-Bone) doing 70 with zero time to even brake. It was a big buck too, went over the handlebars flipping mid air landed on my back and slid for about 150 feet. Luckily it was in December and I was bundled up for the cold ride to work. It seemed like I was in the air forever, I knew my number just got picked and I wasn't going to be alive but I walked away with just sore muscles.

I had the bike at the dealer getting estimate for repairs before I went to hospital to get checked out. I bought the bike from the same dealer just two nights before.
I live in a deer and turkey infested part of the country, on any given morning I see 6-12 deer on my way to work.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,031 Posts

In my part of c.t they are everywhere. Years ago I was coming down a main route and I see a guy in the middle of a field waving with couple dogs I thought. well they were not dogs. Deer Came straight at me then turned and was like running with me. I nailed it and it heard the pipes and startled it enough so it just hit the back of the bike. Went into a slight wobble but came out of it. Thought I was going down. I got very lucky that day. I got a ticket on that same road the week I bought my wide glide. The last thing the cop said when he was getting in his car was ( not to smart driving like that with the deer around here) he made a valid point.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by squirrelsnest
I use these on my bike......THEY WORK!
All of the credible research that has been done on Deer Whistles says they don't work. I think they should be illegal because they give the user a false sense of security thinking they don't have to worry about a deer running in front of them.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:37 AM
tc66nova
Cruiser
Received 105 Likes on 55 Posts

Northeast Ohio here and I have hit two on my motorcycle and lived to tell about it. Actually the first on hit me broadside and it broke it's neck. My brother in law was behind me in a car and saw it happen, I had no clue what actually happened until we went back and I saw the deer. It jumped off of a bank and right into the side of me. It felt like something picked me up and set me down on the white line in the other lane thank God another vehicle was not coming at me. Other than a broken side cover, a missing turn signal and an instantly swollen right knee there was no real damage. I did not even go down just shook me up for a few minutes.
Second time was the same road several years later, I crest a hill and a doe with a young one cross right in front of me. It is mid June so the fawn is not that big and I hit it and went right thru it. I actually cut it in two and went down in all of the blood and gore. Bike had about 4000.dollars in damage and I had road rash on my right arm and leg but it could have been a lot worse. The sheriff told me that I was the first deer vs bike accident that he had been on that the rider lived let alone walked away.
T prevent a 3rd I ride a little slower with my head on a swivel always checking the road side for ANYTHING that might be in sight especially if it has wings or legs.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:03 AM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,347 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
No, they don't. Had them on a car. Hit two deer after installing them.
You are 200% correct, Sir! Junk devices. First small piece of dirt cloggs the miniscue whistle hole & renders them useless.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 AM
jonuphi
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm on my 4th bike since moving here 3 yrs ago,my first 3 i had close calls on,i have not had a real close call on my slim,maybe louder pipes help,its the only difference i can think of

Old 01-15-2018, 10:41 AM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 218 Likes on 140 Posts

Buddy of mine hit a deer on his new bike. He was less than thrilled. Did a lot of damage to the bike, he was ok though.

Just remember, where there is one deer there is a second about to follow.

Now a Moose on the other hand, I knew a guy who hit a moose on his Harley and lets just say it was a good thing he was in full leathers.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:47 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Every deer I have hit in a vehicle happened when least expected. I live in an area with a high deer population. I believe being a bike rider tends to make you a better driver. However, I know I tend to also be less aware of warning signs driving a 9000lb F350 vs an 800lb Road King and thats something I should work on everyday.

After hunting in the Texas Hill Country (Rockspring / Edwards Plateau) for 30 years, I have encountered hundreds if not thousands of deer either standing in the highway or on the side medians. In a vehicle, if the deer is standing in the roadway I immediately get on the horn and brakes. If the deer is crossing the roadway in a walk, trot or run I do the same thing. In both instances I have learned to drive toward the deer as if I am intending to hit it on purpose. Doing this I have never been successful in striking one. Most of the deer I have hit, either ran directly into the door or quarter panel and all I saw was a blur.

On the bike, I just try to slow down, especially at night. I have never hit one on a bike and hopefully never will. Sounding the horn on the truck is easy. My experience with the bike has been every time I try to hit the horn quickly I always seem to find the high beam / flash button right next to the horn. I have encountered deer while on the bike and have been fortunate, I also believe luck has a lot to do with it. Slow down in areas populated with deer and stay alert is all I know.

The deer whistles are worthless. That's a proven fact.

Quick Reply: Deer Dodger?