General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 05 Sportster question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 05 Sportster question

I've had this bike for 5 months now, I put VH straight shots on it and had it re jetted and I still have this gosh damn popping through the carb... it's getting to the point that it even spits oil out the carb.. Makes no difference weather it's hot or cold it coughs through the carb... mostly when it idles for a min or two. Anybody that can help me with this would be appreciated....

Thanks

Old 10-16-2005, 02:59 PM
schultz
Tourer
Default RE: New 05 Sportster question

What jet did they put in for the low speed? I think my son put a 45 in his. He had them do the so called Stage I when he bought it but it would still fart back in the carb ever so often. So far its running great. He put the V&H Straightshots on his too.

Old 10-16-2005, 11:01 PM
cmorris48
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some carburetor backfiring that was frequent and annoying on my 06 883 Sporty. this was not happening until I made some mods via the dealer. Added high flow and Rush Slip ons to open the exhaust. They did some carburetor work and I was not pleased with the results. Finally found a post on this forum that solved my problem. DYNO THE BIKE !!! I simply asked the dealer to have the bike put back on tne dyno. The read out gave the tech some direction. After a long day of riding yesterday and today I had one backfire through the carb. Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:20 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Biggest bunch of BS out there is you have to rejet the carb when changing pipes, anybody stop to think why you gotta change the idle jet when you change pipes? the 45 slow is the jet of common mention when upgradeing pipes. the slow is the idle jet! read your spark plugs if you want to know what your engine is doing.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Curly61
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same trouble with my 04 883 and it is now fixed . First off the ICM needs to be reprogrammed to the latest software upgrade because there were some timing issues with the 04 and 05 sportsters . Off an idle when you would blip the throttle it would backfire thru the carb spitting gas all over the place needles to say very annoying . I placed an .045 slow jet and a 180 main jet then I drilled out the plug over the idle air screw and turned it out 2.5 turns . Then I had the ICM reflashed and guess what no more carb farts . A sportster will always have carb farts until it warms up but i get no farts after it is warm . The other problem I had was a faulty crankshaft position sensor ( ICM CODE P0374) . My problem is now solved. Ask the dealer what software is in your bike . There are plenty of posts on this very same subject might be a place for you to start. Good Luck

Old 10-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks alot to everybody.... It will help!! I hope

Old 10-21-2005, 11:59 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BUNCH of BS hmmmm WEll yes the pilot is the low speed jet but before making a statment that is bs you should really stop and see how the CV carb works. The pilot jet adds fuel through the entire process. You CANNOT jet the carb correctly with the incorrect pilot jet. As well as having the correct tension slide spring, but maybe I am wrong , but since I tune bikes on a dyno daily I am betting not.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:31 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDWRENCH

BUNCH of BS hmmmm WEll yes the pilot is the low speed jet but before making a statment that is bs you should really stop and see how the CV carb works. The pilot jet adds fuel through the entire process. You CANNOT jet the carb correctly with the incorrect pilot jet. As well as having the correct tension slide spring, but maybe I am wrong , but since I tune bikes on a dyno daily I am betting not.
thats why this dude is my hero!!