General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you wear a summer weight jacket and if so which one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:19 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Do you wear a summer weight jacket and if so which one?

Well, thanks again everyone. I bit the bullet and bought the HD perforated "Throttle" jacket. Rode yesterday in 92* and fairly high humidity and all went well. That little voice in the back of my mind about road rash went away too.

Mark

Old 06-19-2007, 11:39 AM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have four mesh jackets but the ultimate is the Vanson Vent Max 3 http://www.vansonleathers.com/produc...ackets/vx3.htm

It is more like a shirt (very light) but has Vanson armor in the elbows, shoulders and back.
The mesh is very open , like chicken cage wire and lets in a lot air. It has NO frills, not even pockets but it sure is effective in warm climates like here in Florida.

Harley shops sell them with a Buell patch for about $130

Old 06-19-2007, 11:40 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently picked up a Vent Max 3 by Vanson Leathers. It is a mesh with leather sections in the shoulders and elbows, along with armor at each joint and the spine. Nice jacket witht he weight of a long shirt. Keeps the sun off and vents very nicely.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:06 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I like that Vanson jacket. Just not a big fan of mesh. Be aware that if you go down wearing mesh it melts and once the mesh is gone and you open skin it melts into the wound creating a mess for the doctors.

Mark

Old 06-19-2007, 04:07 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,167 Likes on 5,324 Posts

After years of experimentation, I have settled on 4 jackets, one of which is really an all-purpose jacket liner. Dead cold weather: Fox Creek Braided Racing jacket with however many layers under it the temperature dictates. Three-seasons jacket: Harley Aeration perforated leather jacket (my favorite jacket), with a North Face Apex jacket under it when it's too cool for perforated, or when it's very windy or wet (but not wet enough for a rain suit). That's my most-used combo. Finally, a Powertrip Voodoo mesh jacket for daytime desert riding or when temps are well over 90.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:26 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

And the Powertrip Voodoo is on a closeout sale.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:04 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

ORIGINAL: commander112

I like that Vanson jacket. Just not a big fan of mesh. Be aware that if you go down wearing mesh it melts and once the mesh is gone and you open skin it melts into the wound creating a mess for the doctors.

Mark
That's an urban myth that probably originated with warnings given to aviation folks about wearing certain synthetic materialsin case of a crash..

There has never been a case of mesh "melting into your skin" from a motorcycle crash unless a gasoline fire was involved that caused it to melt.. Worst case is that the mesh wears away if you slide long enough, exposing your skin. Personally, I much prefer having the mesh wear away first, it is tough stuff and can take a lot more punishment than my bare flesh.

Leather is better, but it's just too hot. To my mind, mesh is a lot better than nothing plus it provides armor protection for several vital areas.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:43 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

First Gear Mesh Tex II, never leave home without it..except when its cold..then I wear my leather jacket

Old 06-19-2007, 06:58 PM
STREAK
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldBoldPilot

After years of experimentation, I have settled on 4 jackets, one of which is really an all-purpose jacket liner. Dead cold weather: Fox Creek Braided Racing jacket with however many layers under it the temperature dictates. Three-seasons jacket: Harley Aeration perforated leather jacket (my favorite jacket), with a North Face Apex jacket under it when it's too cool for perforated, or when it's very windy or wet (but not wet enough for a rain suit). That's my most-used combo. Finally, a Powertrip Voodoo mesh jacket for daytime desert riding or when temps are well over 90.
You all have sold me on the Aeration Jacket ..Wayne

Old 06-19-2007, 10:54 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I wear the TourMaster Cortech mesh jacket and love it. It comes in a Men's version. It came with two zip out liners - a windbreaker and thinsulate, so I could even where it in much cooler temps if I needed a back-up jacket for winter. I've worn it in 90+ temps and have been just fine. Really well constructed. It was my third purchase from TourMaster and I've been very impressed with all their gear and they have great prices. Do compare prices shopping online as I have found a wide range of prices for the same gear from different vendors.

Quick Reply: Do you wear a summer weight jacket and if so which one?