General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting back into riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:41 PM
bjarnold1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into riding

I'm 33 years old and have been riding dirt bikes and motorcycles for most of my life. About 5 years ago I had a 1994 FLSTN and a border collie ran out in front of me and I almost laid the bike down. I parked it for awhile and finally decided to sell it. I'm now ready to get back into riding however some health issues may stop me. I was born with a spine deformity that at age 10 started progressively getting worse and now is causing pressure on my spinal cord. Do other riders have disabilities and still ride OK or should I just stay off 2 wheels?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2018, 07:56 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

That's really a question only you can truly answer. Take into consideration that there are a lot of 3 wheel options out there that will help you get back to riding. Harley makes a couple, can am has the spider and just about any bike can be fitted with an aftermarket trike kit...I'll confess and say that I'm biased towards riding if at all possible so take my advice with that in mind. As long as you won't hurt yourself or others then by all means get yourself something to ride.

Last edited by Screamin beagle; 01-02-2018 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Old 01-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

I' totally with beagle on this...there's a similar thread on this page on this very subject. Worth a read.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:19 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Talk to your doctor and no one else.

The following users liked this post:
Cbyway (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 06:31 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Great advice to start with.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:07 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Obviously talking to a doctor is good advice.

However, a doctor will typically err to the side of caution when advising you. When he advises against it, I would ask if it's because it could worsen your condition or if it's because he feels that in your condition, you won't be able to properly control a motorcycle.

If it's the latter, then that is up to you to decide. If you think you can handle a bike safely, and it won't advance your condition, then I say go for it.

Also, the three wheeler advice is good too. Lots of cool trikes out there. I wouldn't mind zipping around on a Can Am Spyder when the time comes for me to give up 2 wheels. Whatever it takes to stay in the wind my friend.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:13 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

You may also want to consider renting a bike for a couple of days, ride the hell out of it, and see how you feel. Not that you shouldn't ask, but your Dr. will likely tell you not to ride, regardless of your health. They see too much. My daughter in-law is a nurse - she hates bikes due all the broken up riders she has tended to over the years.

Whatever you decide, best of luck, and welcome to the forum.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:15 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,756 Likes on 3,114 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Especially if that doctor rides.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:17 PM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

If you do decide to ride again, (the industry thanks you), maybe a custom seat might be needed with a portion of the foam removed where you spine would impact the seat.

This may help mitigate any discomfort.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:32 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Your doctor may be able to tell you if you’re physically okay to ride, but only you will know if you’re mentally capable. There are a lot of folks who just decide their head’s not in the game anymore and they hang up riding for good. Nothing wrong with that - when you’re head’s not into it you’re just an accident waiting to happen.

But if you have the desire to ride and the mindset that you need to ride and your doc says you’re capable of riding, there are many ways to get back in the wind. Good luck whichever way you decide to go!

Last edited by UUNetBill; 01-03-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Getting back into riding