General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrenching Your Own Bike Versus Paying a Shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
I do ALL of my own wrenching as well as most of my riding buddies bikes. I grew up on a farm so wrenching on your own stuff was part of the lifestyle. IMO wrenching is more of a mindset than ability (to a degree). If you have the will and desire to learn anything is possible. Prepping your mind for the job at hand is just as important as having the correct tools for the job. And if you have access to a wrencher from "Back in the Day" that you can learn from, that's even better. Only a seasoned wrencher knows that not every nut and fastener requires a torque wrench. "Feel" is something you learn over time.
I'll argue that it's both, I've known a good number of motivated individuals that should have been beat soundly about the head and shoulders with large heavy blunt objects for even looking in a tool box much less trying to use them. I've had the pleasure of unscrewing more projects that someone with no skill thought they could handle. Many a poor shovelhead has suffered clueless owneritist.

The following users liked this post:
Gearhead88 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

There's a bunch of us here that remembers that if you rode Harley back in the day, you also knew how to wrench on 'em. That was absolutely a given. And there was a brotherhood among Harley riders in those times. Not so much any more.

Anybody who's been broke down at the side of the road and watched dozens...even hundreds...of Harley riders motor past without even a glance will attest to that. Or...maybe they won't cuz they're oblivious...

Old 01-03-2018, 07:07 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 15,236 Likes on 5,833 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
I've made plenty of them and I've owned them all. When you're the only one wrenching on your bike there's no one else to point the finger at but yourself Lol.

True that, but mistakes tend not to get made over and over when one has real skin in the game.

Last time I really f^&%ed up, I forgot to fully tighten a lower radiator hose after doing a water pump on the car. That 2.5 mile walk to get a new hose clamp gave me plenty of time to reconsider the ramifications of not double checking things......

Old 01-03-2018, 07:37 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottinAZ
True that, but mistakes tend not to get made over and over when one has real skin in the game.

Last time I really f^&%ed up, I forgot to fully tighten a lower radiator hose after doing a water pump on the car. That 2.5 mile walk to get a new hose clamp gave me plenty of time to reconsider the ramifications of not double checking things......
I used to work on my stuff back in the day when necessity demanded it. It was never exactly something that I enjoyed or considered a hobby. Didn't mind it all that much. It just was what it was.

These day I don't have to. So, mostly I don't. I'll avail myself of the services of a good reasonably priced Indy and move on down the road. Feel good about it... supporting my local businesses/community and all that. Besides, I already have enough other crap to do - making free time limited enough as it is.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:03 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
Sure looks like a Harley to me,maybe a disassembled Heritage.
Look closely at the cylinder heads and the two carbs sandwiched between them. There's no belt pulleys because it has a driveshaft. The only thing that motor has in common with Harley is two cylinders in a V, but nothing else beyond the cooling fins. Not a high res photo, I know.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:23 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,069 Likes on 4,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
There's a bunch of us here that remembers that if you rode Harley back in the day, you also knew how to wrench on 'em. That was absolutely a given. And there was a brotherhood among Harley riders in those times. Not so much any more.

Anybody who's been broke down at the side of the road and watched dozens...even hundreds...of Harley riders motor past without even a glance will attest to that. Or...maybe they won't cuz they're oblivious...

Very true. Working on your bike, depending on the issue, was very often a collaboration of your riding buddies. Very few know/knew everything or had every tool.... but we had that "mindset" someone mentioned. Most were at least somewhat mechanically inclined out of necessity. With the introduction of the EVO, it all started to change.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:30 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I've always done my own work. The only exceptions are I don't do roller lower ends, and I can't do anything that requires the Harley scan tool. Fortunately those situations are rare. I will have to take my '17 to someone with the tool when the ABS brakes need flushing.

I did stop busting rubber a year or so ago. Now I just pull the wheels and take them with my mail order tires to the local Jap indy. $20 including balance and disposal fee, makes it dumb for an old guy to wrestle with new tires on an oil barrel.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 AM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,660 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
Saved myself THOUSANDS over the years doing it myself, cars and bikes!
2nd that. I always tell people that is why I can afford to own equipment is doing my own service and maintenance.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:08 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I don’t mind changing fluids etc, but anything complicated I’ll leave it to the professionals.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:04 AM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I use to but don’t have the time anymore with three kids that play sports all over the northeast. But I think I’m gonna find time though due to recent experience, I have a local shop that I use for parts, inspection and apparel and I decided to give him some work just to support the local guy and plus he is very helpful, simple bolt on stuff, shocks, exhaust, front tire and new front end springs. Get the bike home and go for a ride and the bike won’t go into second or neutral, pull over to investigate and there is a small bolt stuck in the linkage, luckily a biker stopped by and had a small tool kit. A couple of days later while trying to dial it in I noticed that the exhaust was not torqued down at the heads, gases were escaping, so I did it myself.

Quick Reply: Wrenching Your Own Bike Versus Paying a Shop