Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:59 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
“ Why is Harley riding on a decline?”.

I dunno...I’m riding mine a lot.
So am I. Of course, it’s not “Harley riding” that’s on a decline, it’s “new Harley buying” that’s on the decline.

I’m at least partly responsible because I haven’t bought a Harley, new or otherwise, in the last 25 years. Why? I like the Harley I have because it’s a simple machine, easy to live with and easy to work on. Only one carburetor, long lasting belt drive, no ECM, no ABS, no “multi mode traction control”. Forks and steering head bearings are a snap to service with removable caps, drain screws and grease fittings. There’s no “self adjusting” primary chain tensioner to over tighten the chain, no “throttle by wire”, no electronic cruise control-just a simple throttle lock. In short, just a simple, honest motorcycle that I can take care of myself. This is important to me because the nearest dealership is 40 miles away.

The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle G.:
anthony_b. (06-20-2018), Tommy C (06-20-2018), Yamaharley (06-22-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:10 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,032 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
What parts are USA sourced now? Is it the steel? What about the Aluminum? The ECU's? It's not the wheels. They screwed the Aussie's and sent that to China? Is it the bearings? I see China and India on them. Is it the rubber in the rear swing arm mounting system? How much of the ave. Harley is North American produced now days? Skip the USA,,, just North America.
Why is this such a hot button topic? Harley Davidson is an american brand. A bike that rolls off the line in India is still an american motorcycle. Just like a Honda Accord that rolls off the line in Ohio is still a Japanese car.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,065 Likes on 10,008 Posts

Harly riding on decline? based on what facts and statistics?...

Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester

Are you asking only about actual butt in the seat time, or new bike sales?

Old 06-22-2018, 04:04 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
Well !!!! just come back this week from the steel toe tour at the York PA Harley plant, and got to talking to some of the assembly workers on their break along with the tour guides.
The production quota for the day when I was there was 225 bikes, down some 30% from last month and its continuing to fall on a week to week basis.
Assembly peeps say their product is too expensive for the current market and greedy dealer mark up is killing the brand at the showroom door, Guides were of the same thought as to the closing of the Kentucky plant in 2019 because of poor sales.
Tour guides said that there is more bikes exported to Australia and Asia that being sold in the US market, and even with the closing of the KY plant, there was no suggestion or requirement that the York plant would need expanding even with the influx of the sportster range workload.
Work peeps said , even with the discount the motor company's give employees its hard to justify that much for a bike, And that's a quote !!!. And I wont even tell you their reaction when I mentioned the electric bike ( rolls eyes )

Straight from the horses mouth .... Well people that work there

Wiz out

The following 4 users liked this post by Wizardofaus:
Firenailer (06-23-2018), IdahoHacker (06-22-2018), rv7garage (06-22-2018), Tommy C (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:03 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Well !!!! just come back this week from the steel toe tour at the York PA Harley plant, and got to talking to some of the assembly workers on their break along with the tour guides.
The production quota for the day when I was there was 225 bikes, down some 30% from last month and its continuing to fall on a week to week basis.
Assembly peeps say their product is too expensive for the current market and greedy dealer mark up is killing the brand at the showroom door, Guides were of the same thought as to the closing of the Kentucky plant in 2019 because of poor sales.
Tour guides said that there is more bikes exported to Australia and Asia that being sold in the US market, and even with the closing of the KY plant, there was no suggestion or requirement that the York plant would need expanding even with the influx of the sportster range workload.
Work peeps said , even with the discount the motor company's give employees its hard to justify that much for a bike, And that's a quote !!!. And I wont even tell you their reaction when I mentioned the electric bike ( rolls eyes )

Straight from the horses mouth .... Well people that work there

Wiz out
I'm really afraid that 2nd quarter sales are going to be horrendous. And this isn't going to help:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1JI29W

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 06-22-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:36 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I'm really afraid that 2nd quarter sales are going to be horrendous.
Agreed , But if they just eased up on prices they would have a whole new market of first timers and repeat customers give the brand another look.
Lets face it cost is everything in the current market and with the vastness of options out there and low resale value of these bikes, who wants to drop 20k on something that is worth 1/2 it’s value in 4-5 years.

Wiz

Old 06-22-2018, 05:48 PM
XXTHESANDMANXX
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

all roads leads to Harley, eventually everyone that rides , gets ones , there are few exception ,like stubborn people who refuse to own one. I rode sportbikes for over 34 years , never thought I would be riding a Harley especially with all the other brands ,years ahead in technology .I chose a Harley there is something about owning Harley , you can ride any bike and if someone ask you you if your a biker , and you say yes, then next question they ask is do you own a Harley
.Harley is in inbeded into everyones genic code,lol your a biker equals to saying you ride Harley.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:54 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by XXTHESANDMANXX
all roads leads to Harley, eventually everyone that rides , gets ones , there are few exception ,like stubborn people who refuse to own one. I rode sportbikes for over 34 years , never thought I would be riding a Harley especially with all the other brands ,years ahead in technology .I chose a Harley there is something about owning Harley , you can ride any bike and if someone ask you you if your a biker , and you say yes, then next question they ask is do you own a Harley
.Harley is in inbeded into everyones genic code,lol your a biker equals to saying you ride Harley.
being a biker is mentality, has nothing to do with what bike they ride...

The following users liked this post:
Viaqua (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 06:01 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
being a biker is mentality, has nothing to do with what bike they ride...
Exactly. Two wheels? It's all good.

Here's the kicker, if you own a Harley, you get to proudly wear patches like this on your vest:

How can anyone resist the honor?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-22-2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Picture contained profanity

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?