General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 11:49 AM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
I don't tour but i do put around 8-10k a year on my bike just doing what i like. Everyday rider not a weekend warrior like the MAJORITY of Harley riders are. My bike is my primary mode of transportation from May till snow. I do get my cage out on wash outs or situations where i need to carry things in the bed of it. I live in heartland Harley Davidson country IE the midwest and i'll let you know 95% of every motorcycle on the road is yeah a Harley Davidson.
I think damn near everyone who wanted a Harley now has one. When it's a pretty day and many in the neighborhood have their garage doors open, I'm surprised at the number of Harleys setting in garages.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:37 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 287 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Taito
Of course they did, just a bunch of pussies at the top too scared to make a bold move.

Honda contributed a lot to the 2 wheel world with the Grom. Non-riders are less fearful to throw a leg over it and it's a gateway to larger motorcycles. Not only is the bike affordable but incredibly cheap to tinker with the massive aftermarket support. I just slapped on a big bore kit on mine and taught 2 new riders the inside out of engines and tuning. Kids who love customizing PCs can get onboard with this.

LMAO, what?

But all of that massive torque though...oh wait I forgot the engine implodes if it revs pass 3k RPMs.
Groms are cool, and Honda did a great job bringing that out. Having said that, pussies on top too scared to make a bold move? They don't need too, because, like you said, THEY'RE ON TOP. The bold moves of the Buell, and the V Rod, didn't work out so well long term. Metric makers have no choice but to make bold moves to try and compete for market share. HD did not get where they are by making huge bold moves Maybe in 1903. And for all the bold moves the metrics have made, they still do not command the market share that HD does in the cruiser market.
Tons of kids on Groms. Guess what? they won't be when they hit 45, 50. HD's market has, and always will be, the 40+ crowd. I think it would be a mistake for Harley to come out with off road, dual sports, and tiny grom sized bikes. You don't see Ferrari coming out with small cheap SUV's or Mercedes trying to compete with Ford with trucks. They stay in their lane and are tops at what they produce. HD needs to be sure and kick Goldwing and other cruiser ***. They could use some improvement in some areas for sure, but introducing entirely new lines marketed at young new riders is not what they do best or should do.

Last edited by LonestarXL; 06-16-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:23 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Hali
I think damn near everyone who wanted a Harley now has one. When it's a pretty day and many in the neighborhood have their garage doors open, I'm surprised at the number of Harleys setting in garages.

Ironically my RGS cost damn near as much as my wife new 2014 Ford Focus and my 2018 Honda HRV minus 3k or so. It kinda blows my mind the folks that spend the big money and only get them out on a weekend. Why buy a bike if your not going to ride it every chance you get. They might as well bought a boat which would of cost them less than my bike. I saw one of those Aprilla bikes mentioned in a post above and didn't even know what it was lol. I always loved the bike, the sound, even the shake that makes HD what it is.

Young kids don't have 21k+ money to throw away on a pleasure toy any more than young kids buy Gold Wings. My bike isn't the fastest or lightest but it is the coolest in my eyes and well. It's not perfect by any means but it is what it is. Nobody cares when a crotch rocket goes by or a Ducati or even a Hayabusa . They all look when they hear a Harley coming for what ever reason and maybe thats why those of us that choose to ride the baddest machines on the road do so. Harley will never price itself to the cheap because it doesnt have to. Their will always be a Harley market much like there will always be a market for Lincolns, Cadillacs, Porshes , and all high end , high dollar machines . Their aint a sport bagger on the road that can come close to the Street Glide bar none. I don't see a decline in HD riders at all around here. Again seeing anything other is like a UFO sighting lol.

I went for an early AM ride and probably saw 50 HD's between 8-9am . Never saw another make.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Most younger cats will be out there on used Sportys for around 3-4 grand. Not on some
geezer glide. Market segment is pretty much same as it always was. There were people
meant to be on Harleys, then, there weren't. Way it's always been. Panic ensues.

The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 07:02 AM
Itsasickness
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that it’s the size of the Bike, nothing against all the female riders out there, God knows I love seeing a Woman on a bike, however HD’s are heavy bikes and I have Daughters that ride. They have all opted for small displacement bikes simply because they can handle the weight

Old 06-17-2018, 07:19 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
The MoCo has taken the Harley-ness out of their newest bikes. I don't believe they offer a superior motorcycle compared to the competition. Look at their touring bikes. Who can claim that the Harley Davidson motorcycles of today are better than what's available from the competition? What makes them better? They're not cheap. They don't have the tech. They're not light. They're not the most comfortable.

Look at the new M8 Softails. They may be the "best" Harley Davidson motorcycles, but they're not the best motorcycles on the market. They also lost their soul along the way.

Also, the entire motorcycle industry is having issues globally. It's not increasing. There are more great motorcycles available today than ever before.

AND, Harley Davidsons are quite expensive compared to the competition. Without offering something in return for that premium.
What they offer is "lifestyle" I never bought into that. I owned metrics after I sold my FXR for too much money in the 90s. Harley Dealer in the 90s pissed me off with their tactics I swore I would never buy a Harley and prayed for them to once again to struggle and discount bikes. So I bought Honda and Yamaha Cruisers until I bought a new Harley Ultra in 2014 Sold it after three recalls and bought a Heritage and a Sportster 1200C. They are not faster or more reliable than my Hondas and especially my Yamahas. I never bought into the whole Pirate thing. When I went inside a place no one knew I came on a bike.

My son is 23 and has no interest in bikes. Neither do his friends, When I was his age, I was riding a naked GL1000 with a Windjammer fairing which was my first bike. Then a few crotch ro ckets before settling on an FXR which I rode a few years and then sold for stupid money, (Even then I wasn't a dyed in the wool Harley rider). Still not.

I rode a VT1100 from San Diego to NJ without issue, My favorite bike was a Yamaha 1300 which I sold to buy another Harley. This time discounted. Harleys are too expensive now to take a chance on getting one with issues,

Old 06-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

I spent the weekend at the drag race in Bristol. Possibly 20% of the shirts worn by people there were Harley Davidson shirts. The average age of the people wearing them? I will guess it was over 50.
That is not the demographic that will grow or maintain the moco

Old 06-17-2018, 08:09 PM
twoglides13
Road Captain
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

I live on a fairly busy street, and at least 90 % of the bikes that ride past here are Harleys. I don't see any decline in riding Harleys, or owning Harleys, but I do see a decline in the quality of the replies to this thread. It is pulling the closet haters out of the woodwork!! I personally think it has run it's course, and needs to be closed!!

Old 06-17-2018, 08:10 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

Yeah I am not into the lifestyle thing. I had my bike at the dealer for a couple items after my purchase, and I got HD surveys via email. One of the questions asked something about feeling part of the community, or something like that. That's a thought that never entered my mind. I think it's cool that bikers in general will wave and have an immediate bond of sorts with other riders, but I don't care what brand someone is riding.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by twoglides13
I live on a fairly busy street, and at least 90 % of the bikes that ride past here are Harleys. I don't see any decline in riding Harleys, or owning Harleys, but I do see a decline in the quality of the replies to this thread. It is pulling the closet haters out of the woodwork!! I personally think it has run it's course, and needs to be closed!!
Booo Hoooo. Bwahahah. Someone needs a Kleenex. Sheesh!!!.

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?