General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 10:32 PM
holytown
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don’t believe Harley riding I.s on a decline. I do believe new Harley buying is. Emphasis on new. My first Harley was a used dyna and Harley corporate never knew I owned it because I worked on it myself and bought it off of craigslist. People are quick to blame young guys. But at the same time Harley corporate needs to come up with a good reason for the old guy to trade his old ultra for a new ultra.

The following 2 users liked this post by holytown:
slvrscoobie (06-13-2018), Yamaharley (06-13-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:18 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by holytown
I don’t believe Harley riding I.s on a decline. I do believe new Harley buying is. Emphasis on new. My first Harley was a used dyna and Harley corporate never knew I owned it because I worked on it myself and bought it off of craigslist. People are quick to blame young guys. But at the same time Harley corporate needs to come up with a good reason for the old guy to trade his old ultra for a new ultra.
According to the MoCo, the average Harley owner rides approximately 2,500 miles per year. That means, roughly, that around half of all Harley owners ride less than 2,500 miles per year. That's less than 200 miles per month. Think about that.

So, if we're going to be accurate, we need to differentiate between Harley owners and Harley riders, because they are two entirely different groups.

The few riders ride, and the rest of the owners polish in between trips to the dealership on Saturday for the free hot dog.

The following users liked this post:
psyshack (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:19 PM
Dcampri
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Living up in north country of New Hampshire during Laconia bike week 2018. Weather has been fantastic and the rides epic through the White Mountains. I guess the 230,000 bikers (probably 95% on Harleys) they estimate will be visiting NH this week missed the memo regarding the decline of Harley ridership.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:41 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,797 Likes on 2,808 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcampri
Living up in north country of New Hampshire during Laconia bike week 2018. Weather has been fantastic and the rides epic through the White Mountains. I guess the 230,000 bikers (probably 95% on Harleys) they estimate will be visiting NH this week missed the memo regarding the decline of Harley ridership.
How many of those bikes are new bikes bought in the last year or two that Harley has been declining? Who cares that there are 230,000 bikes going to Laconia bike week. If 90% of them are bikes already owned how is that helping the decline/drop in sales of the MoCo?

Last edited by jamala00; 06-13-2018 at 06:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:12 AM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts

i think another major factor is the retro culture that has found harleys. You can build a '60s-70' chopper for pennies on the dollar of a new one, and get a lot more 'awesome bike man' when you roll up on a knuckle you rebuilt (or rat-rodded) yourself. just look at that show "Ride" with Norman Redus. Lots of Harleys on that show, not one of them newer than about 1985. The under 40 crowd doesnt want an Ultra Glide with stereo, bags, and trunk. oh and for the small fee of $40K.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:16 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,119 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Why Is Harley Riding On the Decline
Because they don't have enough horsepower to go uphill!!!!

I crack myself up!

The following 3 users liked this post by FNGonaRK:
kap1 (06-16-2018), psyshack (06-13-2018), Viaqua (06-22-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:42 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't tour but i do put around 8-10k a year on my bike just doing what i like. Everyday rider not a weekend warrior like the MAJORITY of Harley riders are. My bike is my primary mode of transportation from May till snow. I do get my cage out on wash outs or situations where i need to carry things in the bed of it. I live in heartland Harley Davidson country IE the midwest and i'll let you know 95% of every motorcycle on the road is yeah a Harley Davidson.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Taito
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmesa005
I think Harley missed the current trend of smaller, compact, less expensive motorcycles such as the Honda Grom, as well as the increase in Dual-Sport and off-road use motorcycles.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...sales-by-type/
Of course they did, just a bunch of pussies at the top too scared to make a bold move.

Honda contributed a lot to the 2 wheel world with the Grom. Non-riders are less fearful to throw a leg over it and it's a gateway to larger motorcycles. Not only is the bike affordable but incredibly cheap to tinker with the massive aftermarket support. I just slapped on a big bore kit on mine and taught 2 new riders the inside out of engines and tuning. Kids who love customizing PCs can get onboard with this.

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Because they don't have enough horsepower to go uphill!!!!

I crack myself up!
LMAO, what?

But all of that massive torque though...oh wait I forgot the engine implodes if it revs pass 3k RPMs.

Last edited by Taito; 06-15-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:31 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

The Grom is badass and a hoot to ride. The youngins are riding. There just not wasting money on Harleys by and large. They are buying Groms, Motards, 300cc to 600cc bikes and having a blast! Some of them even swing a Dyna here and there and beat the crap out of it. And if one puts there damn ego aside and goes riding with them,,, one might learn something from them. And have a great time doing it! I have not seen one group of youngins out in a pack or solo ever shun a old dude on a Harley. Not one time in OK, KS, MO, AR, LA, TX or NM. They always throw hands up and wave you in if you want a go at it. But I've seen old rusty butt Harley riders shun the kids. Why would the kids honestly want anything to do with the curmudgeons and there over priced slow and heavy bikes. And pirate outfits? I'm a 57 year old man. Who would I rather ride with? HOG Chapter blocking traffic or a pack of young adults living and have a blast? I be the old man with the kids!!!!!

I put 100 miles on one of these 3 weeks ago. http://www.aprilia.com/us_EN/bikes/road/900/Shiver-900/ I had a blast on that bike! So I'm looking for a naked or supermoto class bike to blast around on. I had to buy a new car two weeks ago. If that little issue hadn't came up I may well of bought that bike for a kicking it up ride. With something like that on the market,,, why would I or a youngin buy a Sporty or Street?

The following 2 users liked this post by psyshack:
IdahoHacker (06-22-2018), Viaqua (06-22-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 11:00 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,709 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
The Grom is badass and a hoot to ride. The youngins are riding. There just not wasting money on Harleys by and large. They are buying Groms, Motards, 300cc to 600cc bikes and having a blast! Some of them even swing a Dyna here and there and beat the crap out of it. And if one puts there damn ego aside and goes riding with them,,, one might learn something from them. And have a great time doing it! I have not seen one group of youngins out in a pack or solo ever shun a old dude on a Harley. Not one time in OK, KS, MO, AR, LA, TX or NM. They always throw hands up and wave you in if you want a go at it. But I've seen old rusty butt Harley riders shun the kids. Why would the kids honestly want anything to do with the curmudgeons and there over priced slow and heavy bikes. And pirate outfits? I'm a 57 year old man. Who would I rather ride with? HOG Chapter blocking traffic or a pack of young adults living and have a blast? I be the old man with the kids!!!!!

I put 100 miles on one of these 3 weeks ago. http://www.aprilia.com/us_EN/bikes/road/900/Shiver-900/ I had a blast on that bike! So I'm looking for a naked or supermoto class bike to blast around on. I had to buy a new car two weeks ago. If that little issue hadn't came up I may well of bought that bike for a kicking it up ride. With something like that on the market,,, why would I or a youngin buy a Sporty or Street?
Going back to my marketing training, that of a milk monitor in second grade, your comment makes sense to me in this way. Sure, new riders want lightweight, speed, handling and affordable. I did 50 years ago as well. Even the most crusty old Harley riders realizes that most new riders are not going to buy a 30,000 ultra, or even a 20,000 softtail. But what this comment above points to is the change in older riders. We've said it different ways. I've said my next Harley has to lose 150#, not add even more weight. We mention a reverse gear in another thread and many throw out the man card, you sissy, a real man can backward duck walk his ultra backwards a mile up a 30 degree slope, in gravel! What this post above says, hey, older riders can have fun on other styles. I've always had a sporty, thruxton, etc just for fun. But when the girlfriend says, you go alone, I sure as hell don't need an ultra at 900#+.
In short, the changing demographic is not only new riders, mostly citified apartment dwellers, but boomers getting older and wiser. For them, belonging to any "type" no longer matters as we care less about what anyone else thinks and more about getting the most out of every ride.

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?