General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by rideon
I don’t think that many millennials are interested in the sport regardless of brand.I think HD will survive but will have to downsize considerably. That electric bike is just a bad dream in my opinion, I don’t see those flying off the showroom floor.
I agree. Millennials shouldn't be their target audience but for some reason it is.

Think about this. Millennials are having the times of their lives playing with a toy that's under $1000. That's an outstanding return for investment, especially considering how many things it can do. You may see some of them cruising around on powered bicycles, but those are no more than 2 grand tops, and you don't need special certification to legally use one. I'm speculating that anything electric HD can come up with will be north of $15K. No millennial is going for that. Maybe in 10 years when the battery is shot and they're looking for a trendy, retro motorcycle project, but not new.

Why isn't HD focusing on the next money-making generation, Gen X. People born between 64 and 84 are going to be reaching their pre-retirement years in the coming decade. Kids flying the next (hopefully), mortgages paid off, prime earnings in career, it's gonna be the 90's all over again for HD, they just need to be patient and not over-react to a downturn LIKE THEY ARE.......

I also believe the EV movement in the industry is a great idea. Battery technology will come around within the next 5-10 years, even though it's pretty solid right now. Pairing with Alta is also a great idea. I tried the Supermoto Alta last summer and DAMN was it a hoot. Regardless, HD will find some way to f#@k it up I'm sure.

Last edited by Mattbastard; 05-08-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,582 Likes on 7,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Regardless, HD will find some way to f#@k it up I'm sure.
If Microsoft implemented technology like Harley we would still be using Windows98.......

The following 2 users liked this post by Tommy C:
Jackpot Johnnie (05-10-2018), Viaqua (06-22-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 01:33 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Harleys for the old guys = bad *** hells angels images conjured in mind.

Harlyes for the young guys = fat *** douche bags images conjured in mind.

You be the judge why harley is declining.

The following 2 users liked this post by saltlick:
Jackpot Johnnie (05-10-2018), Viaqua (06-22-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
If Microsoft implemented technology like Harley we would still be using Windows98.......
SNAP!

If it weren't for the aftermarket geared around making Harley's faster I would never consider owning one. To me, half the reason I bought a 94 Bagger in need of a motor over a new M8 was because I love wrenching on bikes and there's still PLENTY of aftermarket support for the Evo.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:03 AM
hd_usa
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 71on72
these reason come to mind:
1. Harley doesn’t make sports bikes, dual sport, or off road bikes which capture a fair share of new bike sales.
2. Young riders are not into nostalgia. Won’t pay premium prices for old technology.designed to go straight down the highway.
3. Harley doesn’t make a decent entry level motorcyclea in the 250-750cc range. The new Streets don’t compare.
4. HD keeps discontinuing models Harley riders like to buy.
5. Older hard core riders are a dying breed and very small segment of new MC buyers. We rather keep and improve what we have. Younger generation doesn’t have the time or patience.
6. HD dealers use to treat their buyers like customers. Now they treat you like a number.
The young kids look up to their American Champions such as Garrett Gerloff and want these :

The following users liked this post:
Viaqua (06-22-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 12:54 PM
JB Johnson
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

After reading this I thought 500K is really not that much for HOG but then again.....

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...lars-raci.aspx

Old 05-09-2018, 09:47 PM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JB Johnson
After reading this I thought 500K is really not that much for HOG but then again.....

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...lars-raci.aspx
Sad to say this but the way things are currently going for H-D in flat track racing land it really doesn't look like they are gonna have to shell out too many bucks for privateer contingency money. Thus far, neither H-D's factory or privateer machines have finished well. Who knows, maybe magic will happen and things will change for the better. And if not, it's time to give Vance and Hines the old heave ho and find some other race shop that can do better. Or, heaven forbid, bring the XG750R development work in house and let the factory engineers learn by doing. What a concept. :-)

The following users liked this post:
JB Johnson (05-11-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 10:13 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by xyzzyxyzzy
Sad to say this but the way things are currently going for H-D in flat track racing land it really doesn't look like they are gonna have to shell out too many bucks for privateer contingency money. Thus far, neither H-D's factory or privateer machines have finished well. Who knows, maybe magic will happen and things will change for the better. And if not, it's time to give Vance and Hines the old heave ho and find some other race shop that can do better. Or, heaven forbid, bring the XG750R development work in house and let the factory engineers learn by doing. What a concept. :-)
It's not V&H fault HD gave them a complete junker design to try and build a race engine with. They had there base development engine with the V-Rod mill they just up and quit on. If they had learned from what they paid others to do for them they would have the development base for a modern big bore touring engine, A flat track motor and ooooo could they have done a super sport bike. NA,,, way to low of a corporate IQ for such thought. I know lets build a electric motorcycle when it took us 50 years to get the charging system right on out touring bikes.... Yep thats the ticket....

Old 05-09-2018, 10:41 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

There is alot of competition and alot of great choices. The old "if you don't like leave" mentality has caused much to the up coming riders to do just that. There are great choices, and it is not just price point. The buying public is informed (web-blogs) and educated. They are well paid. Look at hipsters they don't mind spending money on good products. HD has to deliver or they just go to a blog and the web and find the product that will deliver.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:53 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Trying to find actual numbers, as in unit sales, for Indian Motorcycles does not seem possible. However all we need to know is that they did 574 million last year in "motorcycles" which includes Indian, Victory, and Slingshot. Considering HD pulls nearly twice that in just one quarter, well, what competition?

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?