General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 06:52 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
You wouldn't know a Lattner from a Fulton,or Cleever brooks,And probably don't know a split package or Burks pump,,Just teasing and mix your glycal correct...I'm a 150 or more PSI guy..lol It's a living..
I currently work for and rep Cleaver Brooks, Aurora, Watson McDaniels, Power Flame and many others.

My last gig of 15 years was working with Babcox Willcox, Spence, B&G, Hoffman, M&M, Sellers and others.

I know my way around plants and operations.

I bought a pair of HD boots this weekend. Had to return them today. Pretty much ended my relationship with HD.

Whoever thought that was a good idea needs there *** kicked.

The following users liked this post:
tbob (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:57 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
I currently work for and rep Cleaver Brooks, Aurora, Watson McDaniels, Power Flame and many others.

My last gig of 15 years was working with Babcox Willcox, Spence, B&G, Hoffman, M&M, Sellers and others.

I know my way around plants and operations.

I bought a pair of HD boots this weekend. Had to return them today. Pretty much ended my relationship with HD.

Whoever thought that was a good idea needs there *** kicked.
Sad just plain sad!

Old 03-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack

With products like this it's no wonder the brand is in decline. Bad move, Harley.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

As far as Harley sales declining goes, I can only give my opinion based upon what I see when I walk into the showroom. Almost none of the bikes in there have any chrome on them. If there is one thing that should by synonymous with HD it is chrome.

They have chucked the Dynas which for old timers like me at least looked something like the Shovelheads I grew up with in favor of a design that's primary reason for existing is being cheaper to manufacture.

So we have bikes that they are telling us are cheaper to make being made even cheaper by not having much chrome on them yet the price has not dropped at all.

It also seems to me that they have so many different models that it would make manufacturing costs higher. And to me most of these new models are FUGLY. I mean they look like Japanese copies of Harleys, not Harleys.

I've never been able to afford a new bike of any kind, but I have cut my finances short over the years enough to have owned three Harleys. If I had the money to buy a new one now other than the Ultra Classic there isn't much that they make now that would make me feel like "I finally got the bike I've wanted since I was a kid".

And from the standpoint of someone who has loved Harleys since he was a kid that is really sad indeed.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:29 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I can afford whatever I want, and write a check for it. My 2006 Harley is a Harley, and I’m keeping it. Basic technology.. I love it. You couldn’t trade me even up for a new Softail of any kind. The Breakout is so ugly, I can’t believe the designers OKed that one for production.

Also, times have changed. The motorcycle craze from 2000 to 2010 is over. OCC is bankrupt. No one cares about Jesse James, or the long list of bike builders that dominated the TV reality shows from 10 years ago.. It’s over folks, and interest is gone.

Add to the fact that HD’s business plan is totally outdated. They don’t even know who their customers are, or what they want.

Last edited by George C; 03-12-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 305 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by George C

Also, times have changed. The motorcycle craze from 2000 to 2010 is over. OCC is bankrupt. No one cares about Jesse James, or the long list of bike builders that dominated the TV reality shows from 10 years ago.. It’s over folks, and interest is gone.
You sir are correct.....its just us hardcore guys left. Now I think part of it depends where you live. Here in the Midwest I see Harley's everywhere I go.
So sales are down...the market is flooded.
It happens....it will rebound....always does.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

They don’t even know who their customers are, or what they want.
That strikes a chord with me. I've walked into dealerships where the employees there have absolutely no people skills. I ain't exactly a socialite, so if I notice that then something is definitely wrong.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:51 PM
fireman64
Road Warrior
Received 1,583 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
You wouldn't know a Lattner from a Fulton,or Cleever brooks,And probably don't know a split package or Burks pump,,Just teasing and mix your glycal correct...I'm a 150 or more PSI guy..lol It's a living..

So part of the industry do you work in, sales or operations?

150 or more, how many horse ?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:26 PM
hd_usa
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
As far as Harley sales declining goes, I can only give my opinion based upon what I see when I walk into the showroom. Almost none of the bikes in there have any chrome on them. If there is one thing that should by synonymous with HD it is chrome.
Maybe your dealer hasn't received its shipment yet ? Or maybe the chromed bikes were sold ?
Anyhow, from a recent visit to my local dealer, they had no less than three of these Deluxes. Plenty of chrome !

Old 03-13-2018, 05:07 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman64
So part of the industry do you work in, sales or operations?

150 or more, how many horse ?
Retired now ,did installs and service,still play around and sell and service some.
Any HP never mattered.

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?