General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

In the 4th qtr 2017 sales dropped 9.6% over the 2016 4th qtr units. But revenue rose 12% to over 1 billion dollars because buyers were selecting the anniversary models, touring models and CVO's over the lower cost models.

So much for folks not being able to afford them.

Sell less units and make more money. Way to go Harley!

Old 02-26-2018, 06:01 AM
Dr.Midnight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,979 Likes on 7,773 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
In the 4th qtr 2017 sales dropped 9.6% over the 2016 4th qtr units. But revenue rose 12% to over 1 billion dollars because buyers were selecting the anniversary models, touring models and CVO's over the lower cost models.

So much for folks not being able to afford them.

Sell less units and make more money. Way to go Harley!
Hey, hombre. You probably should look a little deeper at the numbers. Full year 2017 net income was $521.8 million versus $692.2 in 2016. Earnings per share took a licking too. Worldwide sales were also down 6.7%.

I don't know what's making you so giddy. This troubles me as a Harley Davidson owner.

The following users liked this post:
TenMidgets (03-01-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 06:14 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by BBM
EVERYBODY seems to have or have had a Harley now. Like I said before, it's no big deal to own one now. Every badazz, wanna-be and accountant "own" one.
And this is why motorcycling is on a decline. The baby boomers spiked the sales by everyone getting into the game over the last 20 years or so. The market is trending back down to where only the people who truly want to ride are buying bikes. Everyone else couldn’t give a ****.

Baby boomers want to blame the drop in sales on millennials for not caring, yet they also tear apart the wannabe’s, RUB’s, and posers for buying bikes and “pretending” to be bikers. You can’t have it both ways. I’d rather see the drop in sales and only have to deal with the people who truly want to ride out on the road over someone who got a HD just because they want the “image” yet only ride 850 miles a year.

Sales will drop, HD will have to downsize, dealerships will close, but HD isn’t going to vanish, there will always be a market.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 02-26-2018 at 06:16 AM.
Jackpot Johnnie (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 06:24 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,511 Likes on 2,710 Posts

My kids are from Generation Z, all 4 are into dirt bikes and love riding on the back of my Harley. They want motorcycles. And generation Z is larger than the millennials and baby boomers.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:34 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
My kids are from Generation Z, all 4 are into dirt bikes and love riding on the back of my Harley. They want motorcycles. And generation Z is larger than the millennials and baby boomers.
That’s what it takes, creating the interest when they’re young. Look at the comments here about how many of us members had bikes starting off at a young age and our parents rode. If someone doesn’t buy their first bike until they’re 55-60 and their kids are starting in college, most likely those kids aren’t going to be interested in it because they weren’t brought up around it. There’s always exceptions, but overall, that’s what’s happening now.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 02-26-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:41 AM
Dr.Midnight
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51

That’s what it takes, creating the interest when they’re young. Look at the comments here about how many of us members had bikes starting off at a young age and our parents rode. If someone doesn’t buy their first bike until they’re 55-60 and their kids are starting in college, most likely those kids aren’t going to be interested in it because they weren’t brought up around it. There’s always exceptions, but overall, that’s what’s happening now.
I agree with you. I honestly can't remember what I had first, my Savage single-shot .22 or my Honda XR 80 bike, but fast-forward forty years and here I am still with a gun or two and a bike in the garage.

Last edited by Dr.Midnight; 02-26-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:49 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,511 Likes on 2,710 Posts

Older pic and we've since upsized the machines but Im doing my part! Youngest (son in the background) started at 3 on a CRF50F with training wheels. At 8 he's an amazing rider, makes me proud when Im following them on the trails but scares me too as any parent would be.

Bluesrider.df (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 08:05 AM
Dr.Midnight
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman

Older pic and we've since upsized the machines but Im doing my part! Youngest (son in the background) started at 3 on a CRF50F with training wheels. At 8 he's an amazing rider, makes me proud when Im following them on the trails but scares me too as any parent would be.

Why is Harley riding on a decline?-l3qcgyr.gif

Old 02-26-2018, 08:25 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

There reaches a saturation point.

A lot of us that bought Harley's in the past like our bikes and have no plans on trading them in or buying another for a while.

Then you got the posers or whatever you want to call them that buy a bike and then hardly ever ride them. A few years later they put it up for sale. We got a glut of used bikes for sale which heavily cuts into new bike purchases.

There is still a lot of people riding Harley's and there a lot of them parked. Think about it this way ... look around at work or look at your neighbors ... how many of them will ever ride a motorcycle?

I think Harley Davidson was wise to cut back on the models. At least right now. It did get to a point that a lot of people bought them as a symbol. They sold a lot of twin cams .. that's for sure.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:51 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

And this is why motorcycling is on a decline. The baby boomers spiked the sales by everyone getting into the game over the last 20 years or so. The market is trending back down to where only the people who truly want to ride are buying bikes.
I was thinking along these lines...like a market correction.

Sales will drop, HD will have to downsize, dealerships will close, but HD isn’t going to vanish, there will always be a market.
Agreed. The question is when do they find the bottom, and how bad does it get until then?

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?