Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:49 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

As far as the comment that Buell never sold many bikes. In their run they sold 136,000 bikes. In the same length of time Victory sold 128,000 bikes.

In the US the main competitor to Buell was Ducati and Buell out sold them every year in the US market.

Too many folks post their opinion of what they think are facts but mostly they post false beliefs without any merit or foundation in fact.

Another example: In the past 4-5 years in the age group of 19 to 34 when buying an over 600cc street bike H-D captured from 50 to 54% of that US market with a large share being female, black and hispanic. Those facts gleaned from H-D sales figures don't show up in the imagined facts of ignorant posters.

I am now a diehard H-D enthusiast that came to H-D at 65 years old from a lifetime of metrics.
I have never found the bikes, parts or labor rates any different than the metric shops period.

Since 2006 I have purchased 26 new H-D's and 9 used. To me the prices were fair and the return when trading or selling was better than my decades of experience with over 32 metrics.

The maintenance was less, less troubles, better mpg and lower insurance rates. End of story.

Tom84FXST - I insured three Corvettes and a Viper for under $400 each. It's called collectors insurance. Mileage limitations, approved building to store in and other stipulations.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-22-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:44 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by brudford
I know an owner of a Harley dealership here in PA and he told me a few things about what is to come . More than just the closure of the Missouri plant but production will be scaled back more than ever in the past . Harley knows that there is a huge inventory of good used bikes . More lay-offs for employees and replaced by temps . Going ahead with the overseas factories and more Harely parts will be out sourced with non USA made parts . Also a little side note, the big change to the Sporster line-up will be a smaller and stiffer frame that has a lower center of gravity making the bike easier to ride . Hold onto your almost American made Harley .
Dude, dealership owners don't even have a clue what any of the new bike models coming out are. They don't even know for sure what current bike models will be delivered to their store each week. It's a crap shoot every time the freight truck arrives and your sayin this guy knows the future of the MoCo? Comon Man!

Hell, him telling you anything is the reason he doesn't know squat.

Last edited by Cbyway; 02-21-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:40 PM
krouke
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll say it again! People are not too impressed with the 2018 line up! Mistake Harley!

Old 02-21-2018, 11:24 PM
rdm1465
Tourer

Received 1,023 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Eshaw301
Well, being as tho I am a member of all the demographics that the HD culture despises (milllenials and non whites), i'll give my opinion (which is probably more accurate):

1. The dealership experience has turned into a KKK style rally. If you aint a white male in a lifted pickup or on an HD, you're ignored or treated shitty (dont ask how i know).

2. Salesmen are not very friendly OR inviting if you're not part of culture mentioned above. And dont dare ask them to compare the HD to a competitor. You'll get ran out the building as if you insulted their mom.

3. The cost of entry. Why would I spend close to $25k on a bike that i STILL have to drop another $5k on? I mean damn, for $25k, can i at least get some speakers I can hear above 50 mph? Also, ever seen what you can get for $25k at the Indian or Victory dealer? I believe a $25k victory is the equivalent of a $40k HD (or damn close). What about that new slingshot? WAY better and cooler than and HD will EVER be.

4. Parts - even die hard HD owners complain about the prices. Enough said.

5. The bikes - they suck. plain and simple. They were probably cool for the generation in the 70s and 80s that had to project that sort of fake tough guy persona, but nowadays, they just flat out suck. I mean c'mon HD, how is it that your "upgraded" bike is basically a copy of your competitors?

6. The culture - did I mention the culture? The image? Nobody wants to be seen as or associated with middle aged trump supporting white men nowadays. That just aint cool. Unfortunately, HD has catered to this demographic to the point of no return. HD is screwed. Might as well sell out to the chinese or to polaris or something.

Due to reasons mentioned above, I will soon be selling my HD and moving along. With all the newer, cooler, cheaper machines and better technology around, im sure we'll be just fine without HD. Will they be missed? Sure. But the generation who made them famous and who will miss HD the most wont be around much longer and will soon be missed too. And the culture...it feels SO GOOD to be around bikers who dont act like rednecks and who dont wanna talk politics or what happened in chicago last century.
1. I am Asian. I rode to the HD dealership on my CanAm Spyder. I was treated well, my questions answered, test rode 3 models. They didn't know I owned a pick-up though.
2. The salesman I was talking to was very patient with me as above. I told him I was looking at the Indian Roadmaster, and Honda Goldwing.
3. For the other models I was considering, I'll bet you they are all in about the same price range.
4. Parts are the same way as far as pricing for all brands, if bought from dealership or name branded.
5. I'm sure there are some minor changes. Maybe not as note worthy as other brands.
6. Again, I am Asian, middle aged, non Hillary supporter, and deplorable. Since I am not white that makes it ok for me to own a HD.

The following 5 users liked this post by rdm1465:
big papa AZ (02-22-2018), DanHappy (02-22-2018), son of the hounds (02-22-2018), Stretchman (02-22-2018), Tommy C (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:02 AM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
Pretty sure both my dealerships have black guys as salesmen. I didn't see them with the white pointy hats. Seems like someone is having a life change and should ride off on their Eluder wearing his Bernie shirt...
*whistle*

Why is Harley riding on a decline?-ezooccs.jpg

dealers are independent companies. the most likely explanation is that this particular one is just staffed by jerks.

but no, let's be the typical American ******** and claim it's either because Harley Davidson is a bunch of racists, or the poster is a whiny snowflake.

The following 5 users liked this post by jz78817:
Cbyway (02-22-2018), cvaria (02-22-2018), DanHappy (02-22-2018), Geoff (02-22-2018), Stretchman (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:13 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,771 Likes on 982 Posts

Well, being as tho I am a member of all the demographics that the HD culture despises (milllenials and non whites), i'll give my opinion (which is probably more accurate):

1. The dealership experience has turned into a KKK style rally. If you aint a white male in a lifted pickup or on an HD, you're ignored or treated shitty (dont ask how i know).

2. Salesmen are not very friendly OR inviting if you're not part of culture mentioned above. And dont dare ask them to compare the HD to a competitor. You'll get ran out the building as if you insulted their mom.

3. The cost of entry. Why would I spend close to $25k on a bike that i STILL have to drop another $5k on? I mean damn, for $25k, can i at least get some speakers I can hear above 50 mph? Also, ever seen what you can get for $25k at the Indian or Victory dealer? I believe a $25k victory is the equivalent of a $40k HD (or damn close). What about that new slingshot? WAY better and cooler than and HD will EVER be.

4. Parts - even die hard HD owners complain about the prices. Enough said.

5. The bikes - they suck. plain and simple. They were probably cool for the generation in the 70s and 80s that had to project that sort of fake tough guy persona, but nowadays, they just flat out suck. I mean c'mon HD, how is it that your "upgraded" bike is basically a copy of your competitors?

6. The culture - did I mention the culture? The image? Nobody wants to be seen as or associated with middle aged trump supporting white men nowadays. That just aint cool. Unfortunately, HD has catered to this demographic to the point of no return. HD is screwed. Might as well sell out to the chinese or to polaris or something.

Due to reasons mentioned above, I will soon be selling my HD and moving along. With all the newer, cooler, cheaper machines and better technology around, im sure we'll be just fine without HD. Will they be missed? Sure. But the generation who made them famous and who will miss HD the most wont be around much longer and will soon be missed too. And the culture...it feels SO GOOD to be around bikers who dont act like rednecks and who dont wanna talk politics or what happened in chicago last century.
"The dealership experience has turned into a KKK style rally."
I've never experienced this at any of the 6 dealerships I've been to. I'm not into the bad boy culture thing at all. I wore hi-viz for a couple years and wear a sport bike style helmet. I definitely don't look the part. But I love HD bikes (not all) and the whole experience has been pretty great.

"The bikes - they suck. plain and simple."
It's hard take everything else you said objectively if this is how you feel. Obviously this isn't the brand for you. Here's wishing you all the best wherever you end up.

The following users liked this post:
Cbyway (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 11:48 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

^^^ What he said. Dont let the door hit you where God split you!!

Old 02-22-2018, 12:26 PM
clintox
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

What about that new slingshot? WAY better and cooler than and HD will EVER be.
LOL, I wish you would have led with this so I would have known to just scroll past the rest of your diatribe.

big papa AZ (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by krouke
I'll say it again! "SOME" People are not too impressed with the 2018 line up! Mistake Harley!
Yet, others are... Go figure.

Bluesrider.df (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 01:25 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman
Yet, others are... Go figure.
well, he did "sit" on one, lol

Stretchman (02-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?